• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I never worry too much about health violations, etc. That stuff doesn't really bother me :dunno:

Depends on the violation for me. Last time my restaurant got a health inspection we got dinged for "soiled wire racks". Not really a critical thing as they were non-contact surfaces but still technically a violation. Something like that wouldn't bother me. Something like mouse feces in my food is a little different. Not saying that's what's going on anywhere, just using it as an example.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    A couple of my favorite places are Zydeco down in Mooresville and Machu Picchu on W 38th. There are probably others.

We used to love Zydeco's but the last time we went there a few weeks ago it was truly awful. Beans were massively overcooked and the blackened catfish was barely edible. Such an expensive horrible meal. I actually got a "do-over" for my birthday dinner it was that bad.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We really like Oaken Barrel in Greenwood and Black Swan in Plainfield. Not too often that brewpubs have good food AND good beer.

Also, Lil Charlie's in Batesville is amazing, great food and beer.

I'm noticing a theme with the restaurants we like…..

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Depends on the violation for me. Last time my restaurant got a health inspection we got dinged for "soiled wire racks". Not really a critical thing as they were non-contact surfaces but still technically a violation. Something like that wouldn't bother me. Something like mouse feces in my food is a little different. Not saying that's what's going on anywhere, just using it as an example.

But it adds flavor...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We used to love Zydeco's but the last time we went there a few weeks ago it was truly awful. Beans were massively overcooked and the blackened catfish was barely edible. Such an expensive horrible meal. I actually got a "do-over" for my birthday dinner it was that bad.

Oh, that's too bad. It's been a while for me, hoping they just had an off day.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Sophia's is good.

My girlfriend and my favorite is Paragon on US36/Rockville Rd and Girls School road in Indianapolis. Amazing food. Great atmosphere. The owner is in there everyday. Fridays he gives out free desserts. Great guy and great family. He knows my family because we're in there so often. Went in one day with my mom and she asked me if my dad would like carrot cake or cherry pie better, he said "find out and take both." It was a Monday and he gave us 4 desserts for free because we always go in there.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    So many local restaurants worthy of mention, it's hard too now where to start. Ralph's Great Divide in downtown Indy is worth dropping in on. For breakfast I prefer Good Morning Mama's over both Cafe Patachou (which has more than two locations, so maybe they are excluded by rule), but Sunrise Cafe or The Roost (both in Fishers) can give them a run for their money. I liked the newly refurbished Tick Tock Tavern last time I was there, that's kinda Irvington-ish. Gotta try Patriot's Table, though.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I don't think you can top a "no name" joint for breakfast. They are more likely to smother everything in butter, lard and gravy. The very stuff that makes breakfast taste sooo good.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I gotta give it up for the Cannoli Queen on south side of Indy (Emerson/County Line in strip mall by the WalMart). Husband/wife team that makes great food and sticks to their roots (closed Sundays/Mondays) and is only open from like 11a-2p and then 5p-9p or something to that effect. They even close for lunch or dinner occasionally for catering events (announced on facebook) at least and perhaps worth a call before going there if you ever wanted to stop in.

My faves are the Italian beef sandwich with Parmesan fries for lunch and the tiramisu cake is OUTSTANDING (so much so that I'm paying $54 for a whole cake to share with my wife and kids before going on a guys trip to Canada to help smooth things over in less than 2 weeks. It's HUGE).

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Bazz's Eat n Sip, on 231 N in Rensselaer. Only open for breakfast and lunch. Wanda makes home made chicken and noodles on Tue only for lunch. Fact is, everything there is pretty good, but her noodles... OMG! Get there early. She runs out every week. Go soon, the place is for sale, Wanda's wanting to retire.

Oh, and Triple X (XXX) in West Lafayette. Great burgers and root beer. Best biscuits and gravy on the planet.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Really? I used to go there a lot and never had an issue. Granted I didn't see the back of house but everything tasted great and I never had any illnesses from it. That sucks....I really like that place.

She deals with licensing and has to enter the violations when the inspectors make their rounds. It has changed where we eat... But Sophia's was the only place that had multiple infractions or "criticals" for food items being stored way above temperature. There was a meeting scheduled with the owner... Not sure if it has happened yet, but the health department was not real happy since the owner hadn't corrected any of the previous violation.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Had Maxine's Chicken and Waffles last night for the first time. I went with the smothered chicken with collard greens and black-eyed peas. They also give you these little cornbread discs with peach butter. It was a bit pricey, but it was delicious! Hard to find food like that around Indy!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Lincoln Pancake House.
    I think there might only be 2 (Greenfield and Noblesville?).
    They only serve breakfast and lunch.
    The owners are Greek.
    I have finally found a local, authentic and amazing Gyro.

There are a total of 8 locations in the Indy area.

Oh, and Triple X (XXX) in West Lafayette. Great burgers and root beer. Best biscuits and gravy on the planet.

+1

I like Emmy's Pancake House in Avon, Pho 36 in Avon, Mann's Grill (of course), Chief's in Greencastle.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    2 local eatery's to me...

Salt Creek Brewery
    Notes: They brew right in the mechanic's pit of an old auto-garage turned bar & restaurant. It's a really cool place to go check out and enjoy a cold brew. From the end of the bar you can look down into the pit at the brewing apparatus and sometimes even see some bubbling out of the air-locks and such... Food is decent including some delicious twists on traditional bar-foods. They have breaded french-fries which are actually not bad, fried green beans, onion rings, tenderloin sandwich, all the normal delicious fried foods that go well with a cold brew. The atmosphere is nice. A great deal of antiques and decor adorn the walls and shelves making this place very homey and make the dining experience pleasant, but the building is simple with a concrete floor (remember, it's an old auto-garage) and basic tables & chairs. Ordering food is done at the food window and you're given a number to put on your table, they will bring your food to the table. Beverages are ordered at the bar. You will often find a local live band playing music on Friday & Saturday nights which often means a packed house in most cases. Take this into account if you like a quiet place go at lunch or week-nights. For a hoppin' place with lots of people and lots going on, weekend evenings are your time.
    Cost: Draft pints will run around $4 if I recall correctly from my last visit. Food is very reasonable around $5 for a sandwich and $3 or so for a size/appetizer

Holt's Cafe
    A variety of good, down-home cooking including an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, but my favorite is their breaded tenderloin, fresh pounded on the premises. It's THE BEST tenderloin sandwich I've ever had. You can fold it in half and it still overhangs the giant bun it is served on. Even if I go for breakfast I ask for a tenderloin because I can't get enough of them... I don't eat out much, but this place gets a lot of my money on tenderloins alone... The dining is very simple with basic tables/chairs, very few decorations except some local news articles and other items you would expect to find at a small mom-n-pop place. It doubles as a small convenience store so you will see some pop and other convenience store items on the shelf. You walk in, order your food at the counter and they bring it to your table. This is the place to go if you want to get to know the locals and converse with the old-timers at breakfast...
    Cost: $5 for a tenderloin sandwich and the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet is around $7 I think. Drinks are reasonable as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom