• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I don't pretend to understand how people decide how words should be pronounced. A few examples from Pike County (next to Dubois)

Iva, pronounced I-vee

Buchta (local trucking company) pronounced book-t.

And do not be too hard on Dubois, it and Hancock were Michael Jackson's 2 favorite Indiana counties.

Back on topic: If you go to the Jasper Walmart, look for the new whiter floor tile between the bank and the checkouts. :draw:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I've got deep family roots in Jasper, and I'm not looking forward to hearing my grandmother babble about how I shouldn't carry in public. She always says, "I sure hope you don't carry that with you" or "I hope you don't keep your gun loaded." We have a large chunk of land down there, so my guns are always with me when we visit, and are always at the center of discussions. My family down there are the "pro-gun" type that don't see a need for guns outside of hunting or target practice. This Wal-mart incident down there sure isn't going to change their minds.
    I understand exactly how you feel. I think the whole "i hope you dont carry it loaded thing" is so dumb. What's its intended purpose if it's not loaded? To be, being against the right to carry is by no means "pro-gun." To me, that seems as if they're very moderate anti-gun activists (ok with hunting/target practice, not ok with the right to carry and other guns). Of course, I may be wrong, but being against the right to carry is not pro gun.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I understand exactly how you feel. I think the whole "i hope you dont carry it loaded thing" is so dumb. What's its intended purpose if it's not loaded? To be, being against the right to carry is by no means "pro-gun." To me, that seems as if they're very moderate anti-gun activists (ok with hunting/target practice, not ok with the right to carry and other guns). Of course, I may be wrong, but being against the right to carry is not pro gun.

I agree with you, that's why I put the parenthesis around pro-gun. They describe themselves as pro-gun, but their views on guns reflect that of a liberal politician. Nothing is more annoying than "i sure hope it's not loaded" or when my uncle about had a heart attack when he saw my 1911 cocked (and locked) in my holster on the farm. I was being "irresponsible" and "unnecessarily dangerous." Oh well, I choose to ignore it now.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I agree with you, that's why I put the parenthesis around pro-gun. They describe themselves as pro-gun, but their views on guns reflect that of a liberal politician. Nothing is more annoying than "i sure hope it's not loaded" or when my uncle about had a heart attack when he saw my 1911 cocked (and locked) in my holster on the farm. I was being "irresponsible" and "unnecessarily dangerous." Oh well, I choose to ignore it now.
    I understand, I use to get that a lot when I first started carrying. They finally stopped after they figured out I was going to carry everywhere everyday and it wasn't just a "stage I was going through." I especially get infuriated when my dad acts like he's the only one allowed to carry and forbids me to (which I still carry regardless of what he says).

Brown Sound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Terre Haute
    I might get up on a linguistic high horse and demand that Dubois be pronounced Doo Bwa, but I don't want to be told to pronounce Terre Haute as Tear Oat, so I'll just shut up over here.

A few months ago I had to correct a Radio DJ friend back in Colorado Springs, CO. He tapes weekend fill in segments for multiple radios, one of them being 105.5 The River and was really butchering up the Terre Haute pronunciation. After I heard him hack it up two weekends in a row, I finally clued him in on correct way to say it. I told him the locals were going to think, "Who is this knucklehead on the radio?" and really mess with the local DJ illusion. Normally, the remote taped DJs just say "in the Wabash Valley." But hey, some of these French derived names can be tricky.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    A few months ago I had to correct a Radio DJ friend back in Colorado Springs, CO. He tapes weekend fill in segments for multiple radios, one of them being 105.5 The River and was really butchering up the Terre Haute pronunciation. After I heard him hack it up two weekends in a row, I finally clued him in on correct way to say it. I told him the locals were going to think, "Who is this knucklehead on the radio?" and really mess with the local DJ illusion. Normally, the remote taped DJs just say "in the Wabash Valley." But hey, some of these French derived names can be tricky.

I'd hate to see what they do with Haute Couture.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I understand, I use to get that a lot when I first started carrying. They finally stopped after they figured out I was going to carry everywhere everyday and it wasn't just a "stage I was going through." I especially get infuriated when my dad acts like he's the only one allowed to carry and forbids me to (which I still carry regardless of what he says).

I only see these family members about once a year now, unfortunately, due to work schedule. So it's only when I get around to Jasper, and I'm sure they forget all about me carrying unless I bring it up again.

My grandfather had a collection of old war guns that he hid from my grandmother, and no one has seen them since before his passing over 10 years ago. No one knows much about them, where they may be, or what models they are, but I always try to hunt them down when I'm there. My best guess is the in accessible attic. The place is massive and old, and there are so many places they may be. My uncle has the civil war musket our how-ever-many-greats uncle used in the war. So luckily that is in safe keeping for now.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    sooo.. what if this would have been an LEO that ND'ed his weapon.. would he be banned from carrying for life... or would they take away his permit to carry.. or would they press charges... NO WAY IN HELL!!!

LOTS of LEOs have ND'ed and the most they ever get is fired, and that's a worse case rare scenario. most the time nothing even happens to them. double standard much? hell, I bet that dude that shot himself infront of the classroom full of students didn't even get fired, MAYBE just a letter reprimand in his file, and that dude was being a dumbass.

I am, however, glad that this one particular LEO doesn't think that carrying is a right reserved for LEO, and that he supports the second amendment and also citizens carrying firearms.

I couldn't help but notice that the demeanor of your post seems heavily in favor of anti-law enforcement.

I'm not sure if you realize, but ALL members of law enforcement were (at one time) a regular, law abiding-Average Joe citizen.
    And with that, MOST members of law enforcement ARE huge supporters of the Second Amendment.

That is all.

Top Bottom