• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I did a brief check and did not find this on INGO. Hope it is not a dupe, but if it is I will delete this post.

Interesting discussion about a jewelry store owner defending her property.

California Police Wish Gun Owners Would Just Comply with Robbers - Gun News at Guns.com

This prompted the local LEOs to publicly announce that they prefer folks just comply with armed robbers rather than defend life and property. I find it interesting that LEOs actually think appeasement is a wise course of action—ignoring the potential for a pistol-whipping or an execution after complying with the demands of evil people.

I have not heard such advice from an Indiana LEO. Another advantage of life in the Hoosier state!

Looking forward to INGO insights.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting to see the different slant taken in the two presentations of the same event. Still, the LEOs prefer the public to be robbed over exercising their right of self-defense.

Thanks for the link!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Of all the officers that make up the San Jose police department, they picked that guy as their spokesperson?

Instead of simply using the term "armed", this take implies that both thieves had guns:
    San Jose Jewelry store owner shoots at robbers | abc7news.com

It's unfair to say that "police" suggest such a course of action simply because one police officer made such a statement. It would be like Fenway making a statement and the media regarding it as "gun owners believe that..." Well, not really, just one of them may believe that.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting to see the different slant taken in the two presentations of the same event. Still, the LEOs prefer the public to be robbed over exercising their right of self-defense.

Thanks for the link!

That's a pretty far stretch to make from this article. I think most police respect a citizens right to protect themselves.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It's unfair to say that "police" suggest such a course of action simply because one police officer made such a statement. It would be like Fenway making a statement and the media regarding it as "gun owners believe that..." Well, not really, just one of them may believe that.

Oh, I completely agree...

I just think that it is odd that when that specific department made the decision to choose an individual to represent them.... that guy was who they picked....

Then again, their spokesperson was attempting to communicate to California residents, so maybe it was a sound plan over there.....

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Oh, I completely agree...

I just think that it is odd that when that specific department made the decision to choose an individual to represent them.... that guy was who they picked....

Then again, their spokesperson was attempting to communicate to California residents, so maybe it was a sound plan over there.....

Sorry, my post was intended more for the OP, I was just adding on to what you were saying. I didn't mean for it to sound like you were saying something you weren't. :ingo:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    No pejorative intent expressed or implied in my posts above. I recognize that one LEO does not a department make, but the view expressed does give the impression this is the view of the department—especially as the point was made in both articles.

I will assert that the fact that one officer spoke on behalf of the department, was cited in both articles, and has not been corrected or repudiated by others in the department since the article was published, it certainly implies that this is the considered and official view of the department. If the department desired to repudiate the view expressed by that member of their department, the senior officers could easily do so.

The two articles do take noticeably different slants on the same event. The bias of the reporters is noticeably different. Both, though, take note of the LEO comment recommending compliance rather than resistance.

Thanks for the interaction!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    With all that said... most self defense instructors advise that complience is the best answer as well.... I know I know it depends on the situation and all, y'all are just dying to put two in the chest and one in the head.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, what do you expect a PD to say?

There's an absolutely HUGE pricetag placed on liability these days.

If a PD were to come out and publicly state "We wish that all legal firearms owners would shoot robbers with extreme prejudice".... That simply opens themselves up to too many lawsuits from all involved parties.

They just cannot publicly say anything different.

Chances are very high that if you were to speak to most of the officer personally and off the record, they'd be all for a homeowner defending themselves with as much force as needed. Not that I'm a cop, but trust me when I say that they're sick & tired of the criminals too.

-J-

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    This was not just one LEO. He was a department spokesperson, meaning he was speaking for the department. Unless they later walked back his words it appears that is their position.

BC on compliance with the criminal. That may very well get you shot with your own weapon.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Also, what do you expect a PD to say?

There's an absolutely HUGE pricetag placed on liability these days.

If a PD were to come out and publicly state "We wish that all legal firearms owners would shoot robbers with extreme prejudice".... That simply opens themselves up to too many lawsuits from all involved parties.

They just cannot publicly say anything different.

Chances are very high that if you were to speak to most of the officer personally and off the record, they'd be all for a homeowner defending themselves with as much force as needed. Not that I'm a cop, but trust me when I say that they're sick & tired of the criminals too.

-J-

I suppose it could work both ways, what if I had the means to defend myself but instead remember the words of the police spokesman who must know what he's talking about; I then am beaten or shot for my compliance wouldn't the same lawsuits be involved?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This was not just one LEO. He was a department spokesperson, meaning he was speaking for the department. Unless they later walked back his words it appears that is their position.

BC on compliance with the criminal. That may very well get you shot with your own weapon.

This is actually a fairly common response by police spokesmen and I have heard it quite often, even here in Indiana. It usually follows a story where the police praise the individual for saving themselves or others and then slide in the "but, we usually recommend..." at the end.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    This is actually a fairly common response by police spokesmen and I have heard it quite often, even here in Indiana. It usually follows a story where the police praise the individual for saving themselves or others and then slide in the "but, we usually recommend..." at the end.

Because they see people killed or beaten severely all the time that attempted to defend themselves. In some instances, by simply tossing them a $20 bill would have bought their lives. In other cases, people that complied were not so lucky.

Not everyone that attempts to resist a strong arm robbery comes out unscathed.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana

Well, since the police have the same First Amendment as I do, they can recommend all they want, but you come into my home or my business to rob or do me harm, I will shoot to kill and have no problems with it at all. No, I am not going to execute someone like the crazy fool in Minnesota, but I will shoot to kill. If the police try and tell me that I should have complied with some robbery suspect I will tell that particular officer he shouldnt be wearing the badge that he is a disgrace to the profession and to get out of my home/store/wherever and request a supervisor.

Gunner

Gunner

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Because they see people killed or beaten severely all the time that attempted to defend themselves. In some instances, by simply tossing them a $20 bill would have bought their lives. In other cases, people that complied were not so lucky.

Not everyone that attempts to resist a strong arm robbery comes out unscathed.

I can tell you this, I will NEVER go down without a fight. I am not just going to comply with someone because they want to do me or my family harm.

Gunner

Top Bottom