• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just wondering how you guys get your lead for casting? Ive read about wheel weights but those seem to be going by the wayside. Do you buy it? Or find other sources of lead. Heard alot about roofing companies being a good source. Are they're any "secret" places to find lead? Just wanted your thoughts guys.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Just wondering how you guys get your lead for casting? Ive read about wheel weights but those seem to be going by the wayside. Do you buy it? Or find other sources of lead. Heard alot about roofing companies being a good source. Are they're any "secret" places to find lead? Just wanted your thoughts guys.

seems to be plenty of wheel weights out there to me. Stock them up while you can. A couple of buckets of wheel weights should be enough for a few thousand bullets.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Lead sources ?

Print shops, tire places, auto repair shops,heating/refrig/a-c contractors,city utilities for lead pipe, garage/yard sales, and word of mouth. ....... use your imagination!
    I have placed ads in local paper. No results from 3 different ads.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Read about guys getting lead plates from dental x-rays. The way I get it, the dentists are glad to get rid of them.

You may have heard that from me posting on INGO. :D To date I have had nobody actually ask me for some though. :( The dental lead is pretty pure lead and would likely need to be alloyed with something to make it less soft (I've been told by guys that cast :dunno:).
    I'm looking at 6 lbs in front of me (at home), I've got another couple pounds elsewhere and at the office. I've resolved to just take it to shooting events and give it to buddies that cast.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Has anyone gone to the trouble of getting lead from used car batteries?

GN

You'd better be damn careful if you do so. Arsine and stibine gas can be given off and these are fatal in very small quantities.

Why Car Batteries Are Dangerous - Cast Boolits

Can you? Sure. TEOTWAWKI I'd do so. But not when it's easy to scrounge lead elsewhere. The local scrapyard sold me the last batch at $.45/lb, I got over 700#.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    In the old days battery lead wasn't nearly so problematic. With the introduction of no maintenance
    batteries the metallurgy got real complicated. Who knows what's in them but the manufacturer.
    I'll jump on the bandwagon ......leave them to the recycling folks.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Lead from batteries

I beleive the melting of lead from batteries is not very harmful in and of itself. When you let the scrapings, dross, and removed material cool it will draw moisture. This moisture causes stabine and other gasses to be released. This is the same gas used to fumigate for rats and other vermin.
    I may look like a big rat, but I don't want to die like one!

Top Bottom