• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reymann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Avon
    I ran across the website for lead bullet technologies today. Interesting claims about the best molds for roundness / quality /etc. Does anyone have any experience with their stuff? Seems pretty salty, but is it worth it?

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have one of their molds for 45/70. The jury is still out because the instructions require that you cast bullets while squeezing the handles really hard in order to "set" the alignment pin fit. Mine is very tight and difficult to do. I have cast about 120 properly filled bullets with it, and it still isn't set in. The bullets come out about .006-010" to large.

If it isn't casting correctly in another 120 bullets or so, I'm going to have to contact them.

I do have to say that Veral is very friendly and been helpful with all of my questions.

reymann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Avon
    Thanks for the reply. Would you consider these molds for rifle accuracy only or regular handgun target practice? I like the 6 cavity lees I am using, but I know the quality is not tops.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Not sure about accuracy yet. For that price, I hope my rifle ends up liking the bullet. I was just looking for something similar to the Cast Performance 405gr WFNGC so I could save some money casting my own.

I have Lee dies as well, and even though they are less expensive, mine cast good bullets and seem to be holding up well after several casting sessions and several hundred bullets cast. Like most things, I guess if I take of it and use it properly, it should last. I also, have some steel Lyman and RCBS molds that work just fine.

reymann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Avon
    Thanks for the tip. I had not heard of them before and looked at the website. They have a big 357mag selection. I was shocked to see a 280grn .357mag bullet. Is that possible? Seems like at over an inch long it would barely fit in the case with powder. Also they had 360 diameter molds for 357mag. Does sizing take .002 inches off? I thought that all molds in this caliber were 358"? I have much to learn. Thanks for any further insight.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    It's easy to reduce a diameter .002 if you need to but you might only need to reduce it .001 or possibly use it full size - it all depends on the size of the bore you're making the bullets for. Ranch Dog (Ranch Dog Outdoors) started designing molds for over sized bullets to fit Marlin lever gun bores which are often oversized and don't work well with bullets from "normal" molds. He had Lee make the molds for him, and many are still made by Lee, but Night Owl is also using his designs for a number of his molds.

crazyjz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    I have several LBT molds and consider them as some of the best I have. The trick is to be sure what you are buying. For example, I have two sets of LBT 45-70 molds. One for my Marlin lever and another for my Browning High Wall. One was purchased oversize to accomodate the slightly oversize barrel dimensions of my Marlin. Just because it says 45-70 on the mold does not necessarily indicate what size bullets it will drop.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Ditto for LBT. Have three molds from Veral and all are top notch. Which reminds me to go find the 110 grain .330 diameter long flat nose mold.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Thanks for the tip. I had not heard of them before and looked at the website. They have a big 357mag selection. I was shocked to see a 280grn .357mag bullet. Is that possible? Seems like at over an inch long it would barely fit in the case with powder. Also they had 360 diameter molds for 357mag. Does sizing take .002 inches off? I thought that all molds in this caliber were 358"? I have much to learn. Thanks for any further insight.

The 280 grain boolit is for rifles like the 35 Whelen or the like.

You want your lead bullets to be sized 0.001-0.002 over your groove diameter. In some firearms such as my Marlin 1894c in 357 mag that requires a boolit diameter of 0.360".

Google Glen Fryxel and read his free books.

Glen E. Fryxell, Cast bullets and firearm information and history

Good luck casting!

Top Bottom