• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Man, I mow 2 ranges. 1 440 yds and one 100yds up and down hill. Plus about an acre around the house and driveway. Had a Scag Freedom Z until last year. It works at the rental now and the new Snapper 120 does the job here. Both good mowers but the Snapper is less cluttered and I stay cleaner using it. Both with B&S motors and they have both been good so far. Lots of power. Both have tow bars for the lawn roller now and I'm considering a sprayer for the Snapper. Mowed around here for years with a Scag commercial belt driven walk behind with a Kawasaki motor and my younger brother is still using it. That thing is bulletproof. Trying to make it go backwards was always a bitch. Just gave away a JD 225 that I inherited in my current marriage. Never again will big green darken my doorway. Parts are outrageous and the stamped deck is/was junk. A Scag/Gravely/Grasshopper/Ferris ZTR will outlast you and mow your kids yard for many years with basic maintenance. I think this Snapper I just bought is in the same ballpark.
    What model Snapper do you have? One of the shops on my list is a Snapper dealer (bought my current self propelled from them 7 or 8 years ago).

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    No. JD dealer tractors have a frame and Kawasaki engines. Big box are stamped steel “uni-bodies” with Briggs or other non-Kawasaki engines.

The exception is the S-240 is a dealer only tractor that is stamped steel like the big box, but a Kawasaki engine.

Yes, the dealers assemble and service the big box tractors, but that is a deal struck with JD so the dealers don’t sue over infringement on their franchises.
    At least 5 years ago, this wasn’t 100% correct. Agree that the box store units don’t have frames, but JD allows dealers to sell the same stamped units as box stores. Allows them to sell at similar price and use service as the differentiator. Win-win for those that don’t justify a heavier duty unit. Up to dealer discretion if they want to stock the low end units.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The main thing keeping me from a ZTR is how well they handle hills. I have a steep hill in front of my house, and my 1987 JD 185 hydro (My dad's first mower that was gifted to me when I built my house) barely wants to mow it sideways. I really doubt a ZTR would hang on the hill, and mowing it up and down would be non stop turning around since its only about 60ft up and down, but runs the width of my property.

I mow roughly 3 of my 5 acres. I am leaning towards something in the X500 lineup from JD, but I would love having the 1025R my dad bought, especially if I end up buying the 5 acres behind me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The main thing keeping me from a ZTR is how well they handle hills. I have a steep hill in front of my house, and my 1987 JD 185 hydro (My dad's first mower that was gifted to me when I built my house) barely wants to mow it sideways. I really doubt a ZTR would hang on the hill, and mowing it up and down would be non stop turning around since its only about 60ft up and down, but runs the width of my property.

I mow roughly 3 of my 5 acres. I am leaning towards something in the X500 lineup from JD, but I would love having the 1025R my dad bought, especially if I end up buying the 5 acres behind me.
    You need a hill goat like a four wheel drive Steiger or Ventrac.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    120. Got it at Loren's in Elwood. He has several in stock.
    Thanks for this info. I'll check into the 120 and some of their other models as well. I'll be checking these out at my local Snapper dealer, Cox's Plant Farm where I bought my Snapper self propelled. That said, good to know where to call and get second opinion on pricing, etc.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Thanks for this info. I'll check into the 120 and some of their other models as well. I'll be checking these out at my local Snapper dealer, Cox's Plant Farm where I bought my Snapper self propelled. That said, good to know where to call and get second opinion on pricing, etc.
    Daryl at Loren's, the owner will shoot straight with you.

deo62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

Same boat you’re in with the steep hill. I bought a X590 about 4 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Mows up, down or sideways on the hill.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Is putting doubles on a ZTR a thing?

1616722105766.png

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Did a quick bit of looking this morning at 2 different shops and primarily looked at ZTR's.

Shop one (dedicated mower and power tool, etc shop) had primarily:
    • Bad Boy Mowers - I was looking between the 42" MZ & 48" MZ Magnum deck models. The models I was looking at had Kohler 725cc engines. (There is a Kawasaki option on the 48" but the price steps up quite a bit). Both had fabricated decks (7 gauge steel). Hydro gearing, but I believe both were sealed systems, not serviceable. These were like $3549 & $3449 cash price. They had options for 0% financing promotions, but price/fees, etc were like 10% more (didn't look at the financing options real hard given the costs). One of these may have had 3 blades, but would have to confirm. Seems to have a cover that you can access from where you place your feet to open up and access belt. 2 year warranty (200 hours)

• Cub Cadet - I was looking between the ZT1 42 & ZT1 46 (They do have a ZT1 50 that has a Kawasaki engine). These models both had Kohler 725cc engines. The 42 has a stamped deck, the 46 has a fabricated deck. Hydro transmission (thinking these were both non serviceable as well, but not 100% on that). I believe the 42 was $2699 and the 46 was $2899. Cub Cadet does have a steering wheel model ZTR, but seems like cost ramped up a lot. 3 year warranty (unlimited hours)

Shop two (Nursery & Garden store with dedicated mower shop within) had primarily:
    • Simplicity -- indicated that Simplicity had bought Snapper and that Briggs & Stratton had then bought Simplicity? Looked at the Courier Models. They had a 36" and a 42" model. I think both had fabricated decks and hydro transmissions. I think they were serviceable, but would have to double check that on the transmissions. The 42" had springed suspension on the front while the 36" did not. I believe these were $2799 and $2999 cash or credit, but if you wanted the financing plans for 0% there were fees for doing so. 3 year warranty

• Country Clipper - Avenue model. They had the 42" and it had an 18HP Kawasaki engine. I believe it was also fabricated deck. This was $3699. Hydro transmission. Not sure if serviceable or not. Single joystick controlled vs steering levers. Appears to have a flip up/standup deck where you can get to the blades easily. I believe 3 year warranty

• Snapper - I did not look at the ZTRs this shop had in Snapper as the ones they had on display were quite pricey. But will take a better look at these. This shop is a Snapper dealer.

From a very cursory view and need to do more review online, I like the Bad Boy models, but pricing was higher.
    I like the Cub Cadet pricing but wonder about the quality. The Country Clipper seems interesting, but again pricing and not sure on the joystick. The Simplicity seems ok.

Anyone have thoughts about any of these, especially recent models? Anything else I should be keying in on for features? Basically looking at entry model maybe 1 step up on a ZTR.

Once I narrow it down a bit, I'll get the shop to let me have a go driving one or 2.

Last edited:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Did a quick bit of looking this morning at 2 different shops and primarily looked at ZTR's.

Shop one (dedicated mower and power tool, etc shop) had primarily:
    • Bad Boy Mowers - I was looking between the 42" MZ & 48" MZ Magnum deck models. The models I was looking at had Kohler 725cc engines. (There is a Kawasaki option on the 48" but the price steps up quite a bit). Both had fabricated decks (7 gauge steel). Hydro gearing, but I believe both were sealed systems, not serviceable. These were like $3549 & $3449 cash price. They had options for 0% financing promotions, but price/fees, etc were like 10% more (didn't look at the financing options real hard given the costs). One of these may have had 3 blades, but would have to confirm. Seems to have a cover that you can access from where you place your feet to open up and access belt. 2 year warranty (200 hours)

• Cub Cadet - I was looking between the ZT1 42 & ZT1 46 (They do have a ZT1 50 that has a Kawasaki engine). These models both had Kohler 725cc engines. The 42 has a stamped deck, the 46 has a fabricated deck. Hydro transmission (thinking these were both non serviceable as well, but not 100% on that). I believe the 42 was $2699 and the 46 was $2899. Cub Cadet does have a steering wheel model ZTR, but seems like cost ramped up a lot. 3 year warranty (unlimited hours)

Shop two (Nursery & Garden store with dedicated mower shop within) had primarily:
    • Simplicity -- indicated that Simplicity had bought Snapper and that Briggs & Stratton had then bought Simplicity? Looked at the Courier Models. They had a 36" and a 42" model. I think both had fabricated decks and hydro transmissions. I think they were serviceable, but would have to double check that on the transmissions. The 42" had springed suspension on the front while the 36" did not. I believe these were $2799 and $2999 cash or credit, but if you wanted the financing plans for 0% there were fees for doing so. 3 year warranty

• Country Clipper - Avenue model. They had the 42" and it had an 18HP Kawasaki engine. I believe it was also fabricated deck. This was $3699. Hydro transmission. Not sure if serviceable or not. Single joystick controlled vs steering levers. Appears to have a flip up/standup deck where you can get to the blades easily. I believe 3 year warranty

• Snapper - I did not look at the ZTRs this shop had in Snapper as the ones they had on display were quite pricey. But will take a better look at these. This shop is a Snapper dealer.

From a very cursory view and need to do more review online, I like the Bad Boy models, but pricing was higher.
    I like the Cub Cadet pricing but wonder about the quality. The Country Clipper seems interesting, but again pricing and not sure on the joystick. The Simplicity seems ok.

Anyone have thoughts about any of these, especially recent models? Anything else I should be keying in on for features? Basically looking at entry model maybe 1 step up on a ZTR.
    A convenient feature that some have and some dont is a foot deck lift. Basically like an emergency brake looking thing coming out of the floor to raise the deck to max height. I know the older toros you had to pull the deck up by hand which is a pain.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Always take the largest deck size you can unless you have some odd constraint keeping you from doing so. Also, it seems that modern Kohler is not what it once was from the handful I've tinkered on. I would happily take a Kow over a modern Kohler. So, from your browsing (and with me spending your money for you, which I far prefer to spending my own), the Bad Boy with the 48" deck is the front runner in absence of any other data.

One thing I see from BB's website is that it doesn't include basically any nice features at the base price. No ROPS, no suspension seat, etc. Up to you to decide how valuable those features are.

A convenient feature that some have and some dont is a foot deck lift. Basically like an emergency brake looking thing coming out of the floor to raise the deck to max height. I know the older toros you had to pull the deck up by hand which is a pain.

Both of my GTs have hydraulic deck lift and I absolutely consider that mandatory. I didn't even think manual lift would be a thing anymore since the hydro is a hydraulic pump. So... +1

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I just bought my first home at the end of December and I'm trying to decide buy riding mower or take the free push mower my uncle offered(.55 Acre lot) sooooo :shady:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My son pushed mowed yesterday and the old Husqvarna started right up.

We've probably had it 10 or more years. I've only tuned it up once a couple years ago and that was because it had stopped working. I YouTubed how to tune it up and actually fixed it.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I just bought my first home at the end of December and I'm trying to decide buy riding mower or take the free push mower my uncle offered(.55 Acre lot) sooooo :shady:
    Why not both? Use the rider for long stretches and the push mower for detail work.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Always take the largest deck size you can unless you have some odd constraint keeping you from doing so. Also, it seems that modern Kohler is not what it once was from the handful I've tinkered on. I would happily take a Kow over a modern Kohler. So, from your browsing (and with me spending your money for you, which I far prefer to spending my own), the Bad Boy with the 48" deck is the front runner in absence of any other data.

One thing I see from BB's website is that it doesn't include basically any nice features at the base price. No ROPS, no suspension seat, etc. Up to you to decide how valuable those features are.

Both of my GTs have hydraulic deck lift and I absolutely consider that mandatory. I didn't even think manual lift would be a thing anymore since the hydro is a hydraulic pump. So... +1
    How does your deck adjust? All my old riders had a long hand lift out of the floor. Basically like a manual truck shifter only straight up.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

If you're going to supplant other exercise with push mowing, then it's all the same anyhow. If you're adding on to the time you spend doing things that suck, then you need a rider so you can get on with things.

When it's 95 and 100% humidity, about the last thing I want to do is walk around the yard for 2+ hours. Especially when it's going to rain every day for the next 2 weeks... except Monday night. Ugh...

How does your deck adjust? All my old riders had a long hand lift out of the floor. Basically like a manual truck shifter only straight up.

Hand lever on the control tower that operates a hydraulic cylinder which actuates the rock shaft (which also operates the 3 point, if equipped). Dual hydraulic was actually an option on mine so you could get blade angle too, though that's a very rare option. Anyhow... No way I'd go back to armstrong deck lifting. Especially with a 7 gauge fabricated deck that must weigh a couple hundred pounds. I'd guess my stamped GT deck is around 80-100lbs as it is. I use my deck lift all the time to get over curbs, run over gravel without picking it up, etc.

If you really want a front-row seat of the system on mine, here ya go.

Last edited:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If you're going to supplant other exercise with push mowing, then it's all the same anyhow. If you're adding on to the time you spend doing things that suck, then you need a rider so you can get on with things.

When it's 95 and 100% humidity, about the last thing I want to do is walk around the yard for 2+ hours. Especially when it's going to rain every day for the next 2 weeks... except Monday night. Ugh...

Hand lever on the control tower that operates a hydraulic cylinder which actuates the rock shaft (which also operates the 3 point, if equipped). Dual hydraulic was actually an option on mine so you could get blade angle too, though that's a very rare option. Anyhow... No way I'd go back to armstrong deck lifting. Especially with a 7 gauge fabricated deck that must weigh a couple hundred pounds. I'd guess my stamped GT deck is around 80-100lbs as it is. I use my deck lift all the time to get over curbs, run over gravel without picking it up, etc.

If you really want a front-row seat of the system on mine, here ya go.
    Ya that was the issue we were having. We'd go to mow a lot with it and you basically had to two hand it to get the 60" up. Only downfall of that toro imo, it was slower than some of the others but it was built like a tank. When I got my 60" hustler for my personal property and found the foot deck lift I was stoked. I dont jump curbs on my property (well sometimes) but its great for navigating over roots fast.

Is that your fox in the video? I had an 89 with ponys.

Top Bottom