• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the replies all. Keep them coming on specific brands, models, etc.

I'll be trying to do some looking in the near term. Most of these places are open banker's hours so I'll need to squeeze in some time to see what they have.

I also won't have an easy way to haul this thing around (may get a small trailer at some point, but won't be right away due to storage concerns), so having something that is somewhat easily maintainable myself for some regular maintenance tasks (Spark plug/oil changes?) vs having to have the servicing dealer come and get it might be good, but not a 100% deal breaker.

I'll just have to see on the pricing of the ZTR's vs the others. I'm not sure I'd do much else but mow with it, but never know until I get one I guess.

Sounds like hydrostatic transmission is a must have feature.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I see the old guys in my new neighborhood zipping around on them crazy fast. It's amazing how fast they can mow, and I'm still out there pushing...
    The old Jacobsen reel mower with the sulkey that we had (pic of one like it upthread) was really pretty fast, but if you had any buckhorn or wiregrass in your lawn (we did back then) that reel wouldn't cut it. The grass looked great! The weeds and wiregrass didn't care. :):

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    In that sized lot you may not cut faster howeer if there is a need to reverse alot, ztr all the way. The JD as i assume most riders now adays have that safety you have to engage to reverse with the blades on. Also just being able to move the levers on a ztr instead of cranking on a wheel.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    The old Jacobsen reel mower with the sulkey that we had (pic of one like it upthread) was really pretty fast, but if you had any buckhorn or wiregrass in your lawn (we did back then) that reel wouldn't cut it. The grass looked great! The weeds and wiregrass didn't care. :):
    And I know where one of them being used. Steady units.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Anyone got decent recommendations for brand/model if one was going to start looking at riding type (possibly venturing into zero turn, etc, but not decided yet) mowers and what features, etc to look for? I've been a self propelled push mower guy for decades.

I've only owned one old used riding mower like 15 years ago that I bought from a broken home sale and then turned around and sold like a season later when I moved from that house, so my riding mower knowledge is very very low. We moved at the end of 2019 and I've currently got about 0.6 or so of an acre to mow and it seems significantly larger than the previous house's 0.4 acre lot. Either I'm just getting old or one of the surveyors was lying. Time to step up to something easier.

I'll be looking at a couple of dealers here in the Hendricks county area and will be buying from a place that services and sells and not a big box store for that and other reasons.

What's INGO's recommendation?
    We have been pretty happy with Our Zero Turn, we use it to cut the front yard. We have lots of raspberry bushes, fruit trees etc.

lots of good brands out there would highly recommend going with one with a Kawasaki engine.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    And yes to the hydrostatic trans, i haven't looked at mowers recently but i don't recall seeing any manuals...

My first rider was a lawnboy with 6 speeds. Don't miss that aspect!

I second the Kawasaki engine.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In that sized lot you may not cut faster howeer if there is a need to reverse alot, ztr all the way. The JD as i assume most riders now adays have that safety you have to engage to reverse with the blades on. Also just being able to move the levers on a ztr instead of cranking on a wheel.
    Mine's got a button on the "dash" that I push to go in reverse without disengaging the blade. It was a real quick learning curve though. Now it's just habit. One fluid motion. I am a lawnmower ninja. :lmfao:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Mine's got a button on the "dash" that I push to go in reverse without disengaging the blade. It was a real quick learning curve though. Now it's just habit. One fluid motion. I am a lawnmower ninja. :lmfao:
    I took it out of the equation. No more having to push the button!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We have been pretty happy with Our Zero Turn, we use it to cut the front yard. We have lots of raspberry bushes, fruit trees etc.

lots of good brands out there would highly recommend going with one with a Kawasaki engine.
    I saw that one of the dealers near me had some with Kawasaki engines. I think it was Hustler brand ZTR. No idea on prices on them as yet.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Thanks for the replies all. Keep them coming on specific brands, models, etc.

I'll be trying to do some looking in the near term. Most of these places are open banker's hours so I'll need to squeeze in some time to see what they have.

I also won't have an easy way to haul this thing around (may get a small trailer at some point, but won't be right away due to storage concerns), so having something that is somewhat easily maintainable myself for some regular maintenance tasks (Spark plug/oil changes?) vs having to have the servicing dealer come and get it might be good, but not a 100% deal breaker.

I'll just have to see on the pricing of the ZTR's vs the others. I'm not sure I'd do much else but mow with it, but never know until I get one I guess.

Sounds like hydrostatic transmission is a must have feature.

Since you've decided you're going the garden shop route, just ask them for a demo unit of whatever flavor you have in mind and give it a whirl. The tiny places won't have demos, but the big outfits will... I've considered attempting to abuse the demo program once or twice when my Cub was down at the wrong time... :naughty:

As for maintenance, engine oil + filter, air filter, plugs, hydro oil+ filter, blade removal/install, and any belts are all I would worry about with your desired used case. Ask the dealer to show you how to do all of those things before making a purchase. That's what you're buying when you go to a garden shop. Anything bigger than that, pay them to hook it in to their shop for ya. If that's all you'd buy a trailer to do, there's no point in even paying the registration every year, IMO.

Brimaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    Lake County / Eagle
    When we moved we went to the local JD dealer and bought the largest liquid cooled gas lawn tractor from them as wanted something built stronger. We went the tractor and not zero turn route as thought it would be better as it would allow more attachments and be able to use it for snow removal.

Had it for over ten years and it did what we needed it for but it is now getting tired as it is pretty much used year round.
    Probably should have gone with a liquid cooled diesel and not liquid cooled gas with the 10 acres but live and learn.
    Oh, also was part of that class action suit years back as the advertised 26 HP Kawasaki on the tractor was lower than actual so got a check back for like $5.

This year decided to pull the trigger on a new mower and went the zero turn front deck Grasshopper.

With you having under an acre I would say either a tractor or zero turn would be fine. I guess it all depends on if you are going to plan to do more than just cut and use it to do other stuff around your place.

What the others have posted is good info and like normal everyone has an opinion so take what you read and sit back and review and make the choice that is best for you.
    :)

Also, youtube has some pretty good review/comparisons like this one: K & G MOWERS & EQUIPMENT LLC .

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Since you've decided you're going the garden shop route, just ask them for a demo unit of whatever flavor you have in mind and give it a whirl. The tiny places won't have demos, but the big outfits will... I've considered attempting to abuse the demo program once or twice when my Cub was down at the wrong time... :naughty:

As for maintenance, engine oil + filter, air filter, plugs, hydro oil+ filter, blade removal/install, and any belts are all I would worry about with your desired used case. Ask the dealer to show you how to do all of those things before making a purchase. That's what you're buying when you go to a garden shop. Anything bigger than that, pay them to hook it in to their shop for ya. If that's all you'd buy a trailer to do, there's no point in even paying the registration every year, IMO.
    A lot of budget ZTR's don't have serviceable hydros. That is a deal breaker for me.

If I was in the market for a ZTR I would find one with hydros that have a serviceable filter and fabricated deck, Hustler, Bad Boy, Snapper, Scag. I bought a used Toro Titan and it's substantially heavier duty that the lower grade model.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    But you have to pull two handles to the rear. That's way too much work. I merely keep my right hand on the wheel (no motion) and push the button with the left. Lawnmower. Ninja. :p
    Still have the button, but it is for aesthetics only!

Attachments

• 20210324_192502.jpg
      20210324_192502.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 5

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A lot of budget ZTR's don't have serviceable hydros. That is a deal breaker for me.

If I was in the market for a ZTR I would find one with hydros that have a serviceable filter and fabricated deck, Hustler, Bad Boy, Snapper. I bought a used Toro Titan and it's substantially heavier duty that the lower grade model.
    My JD hydro is not serviceable. I asked about it, and nope, "Don't touch it" is basically what I was told.

Top Bottom