• ...and so much more!
  • Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Top 50 Live Scanner Audio Feeds

Love how there are four Indiana cities in the top 50 live audio feeds for the nation. Kokomo is currently at number one.

Well there were just multiple shootings and a manhunt! Of course Kokomo is number one right now.

I live here in Kokomo and I have to say all the dribble in this thread about Kokomo being crime ridden is ridiculous. Show me the data. If anyone has data to back up their gibberish, I'll listen otherwise I'll take Kokomo over Indy, Gary, East Chicago, Hammond, etc, etc....

In fact, for kicks I went to city-data.com. Kokomo and Anderson had 3 murders (per 100,000) in 2010. Muncie had 0. Sounds like a dangerous Bermuda triangle of crime to me (its really purple you just can't tell)!

Indy had 100 murders per 100,000. Ft. Wayne had 23, Gary 49, Hammond 10, and East Chicago 13. If you look at the data, all you Indy dwellers should move anywhere else 'cause you're at ground zero!

Anyway, Kokomo has an overall crime index of 341.9 compared to Indy's 653.2 (national average is 319.1). Ft Wayne's crime index is 277.4 which surprised me.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    EDITS>>>>>

OH, they have arrested someone and charged him with murder and 3 counts attempted murder..

UPDATE: Police arrest shooting suspect » Local News » Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

Turama Stitts, 36, Kokomo, was taken into custody Thursday while police were canvassing the area where shootings occurred earlier in the 600 block of East Taylor Street.

Also, take the following with a grain of salt>>>>>>>>>

Just heard something about a body behind the KFC..... don't know if it is related or true at this point, I might be getting stories crossed.

I'm looking for additional info but this could be a goose chase.... I think it's safe to say everyone is confused.

There are 2 KFC's in town, one on US 31 several miles away from the area
    this happened.. the other is on Washington St. a few blocks due West from
    where the people were shot.

Last edited:

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Police friend confirmed they got the guy. They are 99.9% sure the suspect is the right guy. He didn't say anything about the KFC thing.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Well there were just multiple shootings and a manhunt! Of course Kokomo is number one right now.

I live here in Kokomo and I have to say all the dribble in this thread about Kokomo being crime ridden is ridiculous. Show me the data. If anyone has data to back up their gibberish, I'll listen otherwise I'll take Kokomo over Indy, Gary, East Chicago, Hammond, etc, etc....

In fact, for kicks I went to city-data.com. Kokomo and Anderson had 3 murders (per 100,000) in 2010. Muncie had 0. Sounds like a dangerous Bermuda triangle of crime to me (its really purple you just can't tell)!

Indy had 100 murders per 100,000. Ft. Wayne had 23, Gary 49, Hammond 10, and East Chicago 13. If you look at the data, all you Indy dwellers should move anywhere else 'cause you're at ground zero!

Anyway, Kokomo has an overall crime index of 341.9 compared to Indy's 653.2 (national average is 319.1). Ft Wayne's crime index is 277.4 which surprised me.

So you're saying it's not dangerous because there's a low homicide rate? Indy is a HUGE city compared to Kokomo!! The unlawful killing of another person is a rare when talking about crime in general.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Unknown....... just wanted to pass it along just in case.. :dunno:

Second hand information. But I had dinner with a friend tonight, said cops were ALL OVER 31 and Markland. At least 1, but what looked like 2 bodies.

I asked a LEO friend, he said car wreck, but friend 1 said there were definitely no cars around the bodies. Friend 1 was driving by as the cops were just arriving on the scene....:dunno:

Along with all of this, I got to spend my birthday at the ER with my girlfriends grandmother who had a heart attack today. Its been a long, crazy do in this town. Heres to whiskey and bed!

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    So you're saying it's not dangerous because there's a low homicide rate? Indy is a HUGE city compared to Kokomo!! The unlawful killing of another person is a rare when talking about crime in general.

Umm...that is why the numbers are standardized using the murder rate per 100,000. This formula allows the comparison across cities of different populations. It's not 100 murders in Indy and 3 murders in Kokomo. It is 100 murders for every unit of 100,000 people in Indy and 3 murders for every unit of 100,000 people in Kokomo. I should have explained that better.

Also, the crime index for Indy was almost double that for Kokomo which is another standardized metric including a range of different kinds of crimes (not just murder).

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    SNIP

I don't know where in the world you're coming up with 100 murders per 100,000 because that would put Indy over 800 murdered.

How about a more realistic number according to your city-data.com info

Indy 12.4 per 100,000 (2009)
    Fort Wayne 8.9 (2010)
    Gary 51.5 (2009)
    Hammond 13.1 (2010)
    East Chicago 40.3 (2010)
    Kokomo 6.8 (2010)
    Anderson 5.2 (2010)
    Muncie 0 (2010)

Indianapolis and Gary's 2010 numbers are not posted yet.

You said you should have "explained it better", no you should
    have had it factually correct and checked.

They way you specifically wrote it, and worded it you made it look worse that what it was. I think in your past life you must have been a FBI manipulative numbers man.:D

Last edited:

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I don't know where in the world you're coming up with 100 murders per 100,000 because that would put Indy over 800 murdered.

How about a more realistic number according to your city-data.com info

Indy 12.4 per 100,000 (2009)
    Fort Wayne 8.9 (2010)
    Gary 51.5 (2009)
    Hammond 13.1 (2010)
    East Chicago 40.3 (2010)
    Kokomo 6.8 (2010)
    Anderson 5.2 (2010)
    Muncie 0 (2010)

Indianapolis and Gary's 2010 numbers are not posted yet.

You said you should have "explained it better", no you should
    have had it factually correct and checked.

They way you specifically wrote it, and worded it you made it look worse that what it was. I think in your past life you must have been a FBI manipulative numbers man.:D

Well, I do work for the government! :): And...I can admit when i screw up!

My point is still valid though: murders per 100,000 do allow comparison across cites of differing populations and Indy's murder rate and crime index is double that of Kokomo (even when population is controlled). I do have to recant the whole "Indy is more dangerous than Gary and East Chicago" insinuation though!!

My motivation for posting any of this in the first place was to refute the silly talk about Kokomo being a high crime area. We had a bad day today, but there are worse and more dangerous places to call home!

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, I do work for the government! :): And...I can admit when i screw up!

My point is still valid though: murders per 100,000 do allow comparison across cites of differing populations and Indy's murder rate and crime index is double that of Kokomo (even when population is controlled). I do have to recant the whole "Indy is more dangerous than Gary and East Chicago" insinuation though!!

My motivation for posting any of this in the first place was to refute the silly talk about Kokomo being a high crime area. We had a bad day today, but there are worse and more dangerous places to call home!

Don't take offense to this when I say this.

I've had the privilege of delivering all over the state of Indiana, and there are bad places in Indy thay I feel safer in than places in Kokomo and Anderson. My head was on a swivel the entire time. I've only been like that once in 25 years in Indy.

NWI, forget about it, there was Aldi stores that I delivered wine at up there that had ARMED security guards. :poop:, there's not a place in Indy that has an Aldi that is bad enough to have a armed guard. :dunno:

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Don't take offense to this when I say this.

No offense taken Beerman, we have different perceptions that's all. Anyway, the stats, for whatever they are worth, are still on my side. :)

From a gut sense perspective though I would add that I live in Kokomo and seldom feel in any sort of grave danger (although I do lock my car doors in my own driveway at night). I lived in Anderson and worked on the west side where I sometimes got a bit concerned. I work in Indy now and don't have concerns most of the time. But I'd say I am more vigilant in some areas of Indy than anywhere else I go these days (for example, whenever I'm shopping at Don's). :laugh:

One final thing: crime, even murder, happens everywhere. When I was a kid, my best friend's parents were gunned down in their own drive way. I lived in a town of about 7,000. Evil people are everywhere and they seldom announce themselves before they do something bad to you or your loved ones!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Interesting little tid bit mom just told me. Mom was born in 1957 and grew up in peru. She said to me in an email:

There have been rumors since I was a kid that Peru has always been a drug transport town out of Chicago. They use to say that the biggest industry was the drug trade. Kokomo was always included in that.

Top Bottom