• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I carried my M&P 9c in a paddle holster today under an open button-up shirt.

I print in that shirt if I button it, but it's near impossible to see the gun if the shirt's unbuttoned.

I guess if here in Indiana we can go concealed or open carry, why am I still a bit apprehensive about folks getting a glimpse of my pistol if the shirt blows up?
    What do you folks think?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

I print in that shirt if I button it, but it's near impossible to see the gun if the shirt's unbuttoned.

I guess if here in Indiana we can go concealed or open carry, why am I still a bit apprehensive about folks getting a glimpse of my pistol if the shirt blows up?
    What do you folks think?
    I think it's smart to not draw attention to yourself for a variety of different reasons.:yesway:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I often use an unbuttoned shirt as a cover garment over an OWB holster. The trick is predicting when wind will most likely strike. The biggest is exiting a vehicle. Just get used to grabbing the shirt as you step out and you are good to go. It becomes second nature.

I have a few times realized that the bottom half of a holster is showing. But no one has ever commented or anything.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Same anxiety here; I've never open carried.

I try to remain concealed as best as possible but remember that if it happens to show, as long as I'm following the rules, all is ok.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana

What do you folks think?

I have the M&P .40c so I kind of know how it feels to conceal yours. I can conceal reasonably well with my Comp-Tac Minotaur with an untucked button up shirt. Polo shirts print a lot on me.

I too try to make sure and stay concealed. I come in contact with many people that don't need to know if I'm carrying.

For the summer I now usually keep my Kahr PM9 in my pocket because I can conceal it in shorts, etc.

You just have to decide if you're comfortable with people seeing you carry. It's a personal choice.

Justin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Columbus
    I carry a little .25 and i always keep it concealed. never did like the idea of open carry for the fact of others seeing it. If i was ever in a position to where i actually needed to use it, my suspect would not know i had it, to where if i open carry, the suspect knows i carry and can be prepared. Just my thoughts on it.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "why am I still a bit apprehensive about folks getting a glimpse of my pistol if the shirt blows up?"

You should be - well I am.

The M&P 9c should be very very easy to conceal, if not, you should address your holster and/or clothing.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

What do you folks think?

I think you think people are always watching you. :)
    Truth is even if the wind does catch your shirt the chances someone is actually looking at your waist is small.
    I have had the wind catch my shirt before and I've looked around and nobody even noticed.
    I'm at the stage where I keep it covered and I'm not watching everyone to see if they are looking at me.
    You have no issues legally if the gun becomes exposed (unless its in your hand and you are pointing it) :)
    Just relax and carry it however makes you feel most comfortable.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    When carrying my 1911, I have looked down and noticed the bottom inch or so of the gun hanging below my shirt. It always gives me a bit of a start as well. I likewise try to avoid drawing any attention to myself both in my dress and the way I behave whether I have a gun or not.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What do you folks think?

I think that if you are going to conceal carry, conceal carry. Not half-sies.

That said, it's a breath of fresh air coming from Florida where if that happens and someone sees it it is a crime and you can lose your Concealed Weapons Permit (one of the few states that actually issue a real CWP as that is what it actually says on the permit). So I don't worry about the occasional "flash". I try not to, but i'm not as anal about it as I was in Florida.

The benefits of concealed carry balance out with the benefits of open carry. Honestly Open Carry is much safer and obviously an actually deterent to crime.

We know this because there isn't an incident on record of someone OC'ing in Indiana who has EVER been the victim of a crime in the past 75 years. How many CC'ers have been victims (regardless of being successful attempts or not). In the entire US we can only find ONE incident in the past 3 decades of an OC'er being assaulted and that one was in a dark alley at 4am on the coast.

I carry to prevent being a victim. Best way for that? Never be attacked. Open Carry virtually assures that.

I only OC maybe 1 day a week. Most days I'm in a hurry or coming form work or whatever and I'm concealed anyway so I don't bother with un-concealing. But on a Saturday or Sunday it's OC.

I have no desire to play "quick draw mcgraw" and attempt to "surprise" a would be assailant. I'd prefer they see the gun and find an easier mark. A gun is the human version of big teeth and roar of teh lion. It's natures way of saying "Don't touch!". :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The benefits of concealed carry balance out with the benefits of open carry. Honestly Open Carry is much safer and obviously an actually deterent to crime.

We know this because there isn't an incident on record of someone OC'ing in Indiana who has EVER been the victim of a crime in the past 75 years. How many CC'ers have been victims (regardless of being successful attempts or not). In the entire US we can only find ONE incident in the past 3 decades of an OC'er being assaulted and that one was in a dark alley at 4am on the coast.

I carry to prevent being a victim. Best way for that? Never be attacked. Open Carry virtually assures that.

Prometheus,

I am not sure I understand what you wrote above. You say that OC is "safer" than CC. I don't follow. Do you mean safer on the premise that you are less likely to be a victim, or do you mean something else?

Not that I disagree, just wondering how you substantiate your claim. If it is in regard to decreased likelihood of being a victim, then no further explanation is necessary.

Regards,
    Josh

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Prometheus,

I am not sure I understand what you wrote above. You say that OC is "safer" than CC. I don't follow. Do you mean safer on the premise that you are less likely to be a victim, or do you mean something else?

Not that I disagree, just wondering how you substantiate your claim. If it is in regard to decreased likelihood of being a victim, then no further explanation is necessary.

Regards,
    Josh
    The way I read Prometheus' post is that he feels that if a bad guy sees his gun on his side the BG will find another victim. It has been noted that perpetraitors most often pick their next mark by body language, appearance, "cluelessness" if-you-will. If that same Bg sees that you have a gun strapped to your side he will obviously assume you are prepared, equipped so-to-speak for his attack.
    that said many on here and other forums claim that O.C. creats attention such that the aformentioned BG will "take you out" first if you are carrying open. Prometheus also mentioned that in 75 years no-one has actually been "taken out" because they were showing their gun.
    I usually conceal, there was an incident though recently when i spent a little time in my well pit to prime after a three day power outage. It was about 8:30pm when I got done and my truck was at the shop. My wife took me to work to get my truck. On my way home I thought about picking just a coouple more bags of ice for the cooler so my wife would not have to scrub the fridge that very night. As I stopped by Kroger I grabbed three bags of ice and went to a self checkout. Just for info...I was sweaty, dirty (from the well pit), and tired looking.
    A little old cashier was there with a younger one who approached me and asked if she could ask me a question. Of course I said yes, she then continued "Is it legal for you to carry a gun around like that?"
    I mentioned in a very friendly, soft voiced manner "yes in Indiana it is legal to carry a gun openly as long as I have a permit" She stated that if she had been alone I would have really freaked her out. I said kindly that I would have immediately left out of respect for her. I was not carrying a gun to "freak anybody out", but that I only refused to be a victim. I had even got my wife a permit... and a gun... a pink one.
    to which she replied "well if you are going to rob me at least you could do it with a nice looking pink gun!"
    I re-iterated that I didn't want to hurt anybody... I simply refused to be a victim. I also mentioned a tip that most bad guys don't use a holster.
    She nodded with understanding so I left.

Last edited:

_JD_

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Well it's nice to see that the OC debate lives on in IN, it's just not PA and VA :p

Getting back to the topic of the thread, I sometimes carry in a OWB belt holster and light cover garment leaving it unbuttoned...I don't care if it shows, I don't care if people see, if someone ever DID try to grab it....well, that would be a very bad idea for them.

In VA I am required by law to OC if in an establishment that serves boo's, that alone kind of took the edge off of OC, even then hardly anyone notices.

The bottom line is that there's nothing "wrong" if your gun shows (pending on what state you live in), are there places that I don't want my gun to be seen? Yes, but that's why I have more than one gun and more than one type of holster, it's all part of your planning.

Now if you find yourself in places where you don't want your gun to be seen, and the only rig you have is the OWB holster, you may need to rethink your carry combo and make some changes.

There are now some "convertible" holsters that will go IWB or OWB with removable clips that expose slots, that might be a good option if you prefer the OWB, but need to go somewhere where concealment is more of a priority.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would MUCH prefer to carry OWB for any number of reasons. I just don't want to deal with the inevitable MWG calls.

Top Bottom