• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    At the fairgrounds right now. Kids always in my sight but what if we were separated?

i didn't get a cell phone til I was in my thirties. Doesn't matter. Yes I've looked online already for kid trackers. Que I know our stances are alike, I didn't say anything to oppose your views. I don't mind the opinions about the subject. I just didn't like being told to get off my butt and be a good parent. I have that well under control.

seeing kids gab on a cell phone is not what I'm talking about. It's a little to much for me and comes off as being spoiled. I'm talking about a phone tucked away in a backpack, unseen and unused until its an emergency. That's not being spoiled, that's being loved and looked after.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    That's cool that you can do that (lock stuff out). I might get my kid one at 8.
    Whats the legal age you can leave you kid home alone? I probably wouldn't do it anyways and no matter the legal age, if my child wasnt responsible enough by my standards then it wouldn't happen anyways. Just currious.

Last I checked Indiana didn't have a law. More a recommendation. 8 was the recommendation, but only for a couple hours.

AnnieO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    8? Seriously? I can't imagine leaving my eight year old home alone. And no, he doesn't have a cell phone and probably won't for a few years.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    To me it has a great deal with peace of mind. People make many purchases each year to help ease their minds. For instance insurance, we have insurance on our car, houses and lives. How about locks on doors when you have never had a uninvited guest, or vitamins and supplements to help avoid getting this disease, cancer or what not when our family history suggest we are not at risk. Sure some of it serves a practical purpose and would be considered as needed, but it also give us peace of mind.

To the OP, if it eases your mind and you can afford it, why not? At what age to get your child a cell phone is best decided by you, not someone on the internet that doesn't know you or your family or how you actually feel about things.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    There shouldn't be an age restriction to being home alone. There are many 9 year olds that are more responsible and can be being left alone than some 13 year olds. Just your personal decision.

I got my first cell at 18. Before that I just borrowed a friends phone. And there ARE good reasons to have a cell. The whole well I didn't have one and I am fine argument is silly.

For example being miles from home after fishing and getting a flat bike tire and it would be dark before you could walk home.

Got separated from family

Or you have horses and look out the window and see they knocked the fence over after scratching their butts on it. And you don't have a home phone.

Not only can you lock down a kids phone, you can buy phones that only have enough buttons to call 4 pre programmed numbers and 911

Do they need an iPhone to text and face time their friends? No, not really. But there is really not a problem with being able to call their parents or 911 when they need to.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    8? Seriously? I can't imagine leaving my eight year old home alone. And no, he doesn't have a cell phone and probably won't for a few years.

Yes, seriously. And for me it isn't a matter of "leaving" my kid alone. It is the fact that my wife and I both work, and on occasion she gets home from school before one of us gets home.

I am a little surprised by all of the people who are surprised by a kid being left alone for a bit. My daughter is responsible, knows the rules, and the consequences for not following them. (I am not saying anyone else kids don't. That is just a statement about mine) I was left alone plenty, as a kid growing up with working parents. Back on topic though, if I thought for a second she would abuse the privilege of having a phone, it would be gone.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah that's seems young to me too but that's just my opinion for my kid. Other people can parent their own way and its none of my business.
    I'm overprotective myself.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My daughter was left home by herself at times when she wa eight. She didn't get a cell phone until she was about 10, though. If I had waited until she was 14 to get her a cell phone, that would have been her junior year in high school. If I had waited until she is 16, that means she would be a college freshman before having a call phone. The rules are different for each child and parents should be allowed to parent.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I think it depends on maturity level. Some people aren't mature enough as adults. I got one at 13, my sister got one at 17. Very different maturity levels.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My daughter was left home by herself at times when she wa eight. She didn't get a cell phone until she was about 10, though. If I had waited until she was 14 to get her a cell phone, that would have been her junior year in high school. If I had waited until she is 16, that means she would be a college freshman before having a call phone. The rules are different for each child and parents should be allowed to parent.
    Your daughter was a junior when she was 14? Smart kid.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    At the fairgrounds right now. Kids always in my sight but what if we were separated?

i didn't get a cell phone til I was in my thirties. Doesn't matter. Yes I've looked online already for kid trackers. Que I know our stances are alike, I didn't say anything to oppose your views. I don't mind the opinions about the subject. I just didn't like being told to get off my butt and be a good parent. I have that well under control.

seeing kids gab on a cell phone is not what I'm talking about. It's a little to much for me and comes off as being spoiled. I'm talking about a phone tucked away in a backpack, unseen and unused until its an emergency. That's not being spoiled, that's being loved and looked after.
    What do you expect when you don't give us all the facts? I don't disagree with anything you're doing, just wish you could have given us the whole story.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Personally I think kids having cell phones is ridiculous. We didn't have cell phones, our parents didn't track us, and we turned out fine. If I was somewhere and had an emergency I used a payphone. I know things are different these days but our parents said the same thing when we were kids. Our grandparents said the same thing when our parents were kids. Things are always going to be "different these days" with every generation. That being said, YOU are the parent. It is in no way my place to tell you how to raise you children. If you want to give a 5 year old a cell phone then so be it. If it's something you feel like you MUST do I would suggest something very basic, no download capabilities, something that you can control EVERYTHING on but your child can not.
    Have you tried to find a WORKING payphone lately? Good luck with that!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I can remember when I thought it was spoiling a young kid/teenager to give them a cell phone. Then I had a kid myself. Now my feelings have changed. Think about it. You have the technology available to you to ALWAYS be in touch with your child. No matter where you are (more or less) and no matter where they are are (again - more or less). The trick is to lay down the rules first thing and then stick to them. No calls to/from friends at the table or after bedtime (or whatever you see fit).

You didn't mention texting. I'd hold off on that for as long as you can. It's a whole other can of worms!

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I don't think young kids need cellphones mainly because they are almost always with an adult and have access to a phone, if they stay home alone without a house phone that is a different story. Personally my kids will not have a cell phone until they turn 16, when they can drive on their own, and even then it will be a basic phone, unless, they have a job and can pay the extra money for and upgraded phone. This was exactly how I was raised, and while I didn't like it at the time I realize now that it was a very fair situation.

AnnieO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I wasn't trying to imply anyone else was a bad parent. I was just surprised that eight was the recommended age for a kid to be alone. But I have an immature eight year old. Also, I am over protective and blessed to have retired grandparents nearby so I don't need to leave him alone.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Our son has had a cell phone since he was 8, he is 10 now. He has numbers of people I put in the phone and he is allowed to use it for those people only. Our main reason for getting him a phone is at the time I was working and there were days I couldn't make it home before the bus. We don't have a home phone and I needed to know he had made it in and locked up behind himself when he got in. Now even though I am not working and I am home, I do leave him to run to the store now and then. If he needs me or his Dad, he can get a hold of us.
    Each parent and home situation is different. What is right for some is not for others. If you feel your child needs one, get him one.

Top Bottom