• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    My 3at spends as much time in my pocket as does my wallet. It gets full of pocket lint and sweat. I shoot it occasionally on a whim. When a opertune time presents itself, I will just pull it anf fire into the ground. Lint and all! It eats anything I feed it. The only problem I have. I can't top off the magazine. It will jam evertime.

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    mine runs just fine all the damn time!!!!!!
    if im awake, its in my pocket.
    If im not awake, im a reach from a G19 and about 7 steps from a 500 fully loaded with buckshot.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I started out wanting to use hollowpoints in my P3AT but it always jammed badly. Then after doing some reading I came to a point where a .380 round would not make a good hollowpoints for its slower speed/power. So I settled on the notion that I wanted something to penetrate deep enough through whatever type of hard clothing and the best option was to use fullmetal jacket ammo. Until someone can provide me with some real data/tests/facts or whatever I'll keep my FMJ ammo to have better penetration.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I can't speak for the P3AT but my P32 has served me splendidly.

I carry my P32 when clothed lightly, and when I can not in good conscience open carry. I have been so pleased with its performance, that I purchased one for my father to carry as well; they are only a few digits apart in their serials.

All of that praising aside it is not, nor do I use it as, a range gun. I fired 100 rounds of ball ammunition from it when I first purchased it; my P32 printed acceptable groupings for its purpose and did not malfunction. I did this same thing again after carrying it for 6 months and again it printed acceptable groupings with no malfunctions.

These types of guns are not something you need to, nor would it be enjoyable to, practice with regularly. Shoot them when you buy them so you know what to expect then leave them alone until needed.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    These types of guns are not something you need to, nor would it be enjoyable to, practice with regularly.

That statement doesn't make much sense.

IMO, if you're gonna trust your life to something, you should practice with it until it becomes second nature. And then, practice some more. You're cheating yourself if you don't.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    The biggest issue with any .380 today is the absolute lack of ammo. The next issue is the cost of .380 ammo that can be found. With 9mm very available and costing under $10.00 at Wal-Mart... do the math.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I had a P3AT and I hated it. To be fair, it never failed on me but shooting it was horrible. It was the most uncomfortable pistol I've ever fired. The sights are crappy and I could not get nice groups with it. I strive for fist size groups for ALL the pistols I qualify with out to 12 yrds. Some groups are a bit larger with different pistols but those crappy sights would not allow me to get a consistent sight picture every time. I sold it and now I carry a 642 in it's place. I am a firearms instructor and have heard it all..."I don't need tight groups because it's an "up close" pistol." "Sure it hurts to shoot, I don't plan on shooting it much." My close friend (he's not an officer) carries one in his pocket at work. He tells me that it is the kind of gun you carry a lot but don't shoot much, just enough to make sure it works. I have seen quite a few that officers qualify with that have feeding problems. They don't mind because they say it is their "last ditch" pistol. Well, if it is truly your last chance to fire on a bad guy, wouldn't you want to be firing a pistol that is the MOST reliable? If you put 1000rds through a pistol without a problem, it is OK. If it has a problem, get it fixed and it will be OK once you have fired 1000rds trouble free. I do not think those little pistols were ever designed for high round counts. That is the problem, I fire thousands of rounds through my carry pistols and I have my doubts to the structural integrity of the P3AT's to be able to handle that kind of abuse. My G22, G23c, G27, and my 642 can all handle abuse are are proven winners. Only time will tell I guess. I would like to hear stories of P3AT's surviving thousands of rounds, it would be interesting. I also get a kick out of people saying that grouping is of little concern for a "close up" pistol. However, the little pistol will be the only pistol they have on them. When the SHTF they might be forced to take a 25yrd aimed shot. Can they make such a shot with confidence? If it is their only means of self defense, the situation may dictate a distance shot...you NEVER know. IF you are able to fire 1000rds without a jam and get consistent groups, then you should have enough confidence to carry it as your means of defense

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    Love my P3AT. No problems with it at all. I also have a G26 and carry both at different times. That little P3AT can slip right in my back pocket holster or I also have a clip and just clip it inside the neck of my shirt on real light dressed day. No one knows there is a gun there, not even me. I just did the fluff and buff when I got it and have had no FTF's.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    That statement doesn't make much sense.

IMO, if you're gonna trust your life to something, you should practice with it until it becomes second nature. And then, practice some more. You're cheating yourself if you don't.

What would I gain from it sir? I think you have read into my post a bit.

Remaining proficient in pistolry is certainly very important. A mouse gun like the KelTec however is a very poor practice pistol.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Remaining proficient in pistolry is certainly very important. A mouse gun like the KelTec however is a very poor practice pistol.
    I think he means that you should practice that way with all or your carry guns. Just because you shoot well with a (for example) Glock does not mean you can shoot well with a 1911, or a revolver, or a Keltec, etc. They all handle differently and shoot differently. That was my biggest gripe with them. If I cannot shoot the snot out of them I don't want to carry them.

G17_shooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Fillmore, IN
    I have the keltec p32 and love it. I purchased the pocket clip which is truly how this gun was meant to be carried. Never been a big fan of the pocket holster but have one of those as well. The clip works great just behind your cell phone if you carry that on your hip.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)

All the more reason to practice with it.

I owe it to myself, my wife, my partner, the public I am sworn to protect, to practice and practice until I know I have mastery of the weapons at my disposal.

Michael Jordan, Peyton Manning, Tiger Woods continue(d) to practice after mere proficiency was obtained. That's what sets them apart.

Pretty sure Clint Smith, Tiger McGee, Pat Rogers, Ken Campbell continue to practice with their various carry guns no matter how big or small.

Shooting is a perishable skill. Ask any cop who only shoots twice a year at mandated qualifications.

Top Bottom