• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Simple question: If we want to keep guns away from criminals and the mentally ill, how do we do that without some kind of government registration/licensing scam?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Somehow get the government to stop their gun running? Ban criminals and people with mental illnesses? That is all I've got. Registration and licensing won't ever do it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Well, if the technology were in existence, all guns could only shoot if the owner's fingerprints were swiped. I wouldn't trust any such technology with my life today though.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Allow lawful firearm owners to carry all of their weapons everywhere with them at all times. Might suck trying to sit on the bus, but that's the price you pay for freedom and looking bad ass.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Somehow get the government to stop their gun running?
    Thanks for the smile!:D Of course licensing won't solve anything, just wanted to appeal to the collective intelligence here to see if there was some good idea out there I hadn't thought of.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Without a complete police state and every neighbor informing on every other neighbor, there is no way to keep all guns out of the hands of all criminals and mentally ill... and it probably wouldn't work even then IMHO.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Allow lawful firearm owners to carry all of their weapons everywhere with them at all times.
    I agree banning gun free zones would be one great way to save lives. I'm sitting in my classroom grading papers right now...unarmed...:xmad:

Perhaps I need to rephrase it...is there anyway you can think that could help prevent some felons/mentally ill from purchasing guns?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If we want to keep guns away from criminals and the mentally ill, how do we do that without some kind of government registration/licensing scam?

New York has government registration and licensing, how is that working for them?

California has the same. Are criminals and the mentally ill being kept from guns there?

Illinois has the same. All quiet in Chicago?

Better question: why would think that the government can keep guns from criminals and the mentally ill?:dunno: Government takes an active role in arming criminals (Fast & Furious) and the mentally ill (most of our foreign policy).

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You can't keep firearms from those who really should not have them. That is why we the honest people need to be armed at all times, to protect ourselves and those who can't (children) from those who don't believe in laws.

MP43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Rochester
    Just read a article on yahoo homepage where a guy said he has had the technology for almost 20 yrs now to a chip in your hand has to match a chip in your guns handle before it can be shot. Everyone get inline for your chip! LOL!!!!

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I agree banning gun free zones would be one great way to save lives. I'm sitting in my classroom grading papers right now...unarmed...:xmad:

Perhaps I need to rephrase it...is there anyway you can think that could help prevent some felons/mentally ill from purchasing guns?

Well, that was partially jest. I don't expect many owners here to carry their entire arsenal with them always. That would be a headache.

But since this is serious thread, I will give serious answer.

This entire gun control debate stems down to a difference in the primary value premise upon which the two factions stand. Gun-control advocates stand on the value premise that safety is the utmost important goal to obtain. Gun-rights advocates stand on the value premise of freedom.

The problem that occurs is that we cannot reconcile these two without someone getting their panties in a wad. Could we take away every single gun and still allow all sorts of personal freedoms? Yes. But no one here would like that one bit. Could we extend gun rights and might that extend the safety? Possibly, but it's largely untested.

We don't want to give up the rights, because we've seen what fascist regimes do once we've given them up. And they're afraid to give us more rights because of what might happen, it's largely untested. How do we solve it?

Well... let's let the politicians figure that out. Hopefully they'll be gridlocked long enough that they forget about it and find something else to do.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    I see the basic premise in the question assuming that guaranteed safety is obtainable. In this area and all areas of life this is unobtainable.

Top Bottom