• Total voters

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    100_3358.jpg
    I I picked up a Colt Detective Spl. a few years ago for a good deal. She was no beauty queen, but a good solid gun that lock up tight and shoots great. Now I am faced with what to do. When I got the gun I had plans of having it reblued, but no that I am not working I am thinking the money would be better, so should I keep and spend the money reblueing it(btw anyone know a good gunsmith to talk to about that in east central IN?) or sell it? I have $275 invested in the gun right now....

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If you blue it you will lose more value than you will ever get. you will be out the cost of rebluing and the gun will be devalued from here on out because of it.
    I would keep it just the way it is.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Aside from losing value in the gun, if you have it re-blued you'll always be worried about scratching it. Leave it the way it is, you can carry it in pockets, the glove box, tackle box and never worry about it. It's already broke in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you blue it you will lose more value than you will ever get. you will be out the cost of rebluing and the gun will be devalued from here on out because of it.
    I would keep it just the way it is.
    Exactly! Have you never seen the Antiques Road-show? Older pieces like this are almost ALWAYS worth more in the original condition, rust, patina, and all.
    I remember seeing one episode where some guy had an antique rifle re-blued. They told him he lost 2/3 the value by "cleaning it up".
    Leave it as is, and enjoy it. You have a perfectly serviceable weapon.:twocents:

Top Bottom