• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    A selling point for firearms is the TTFS (Time to First Shot). This is measured in seconds and they do it for chamber and unchambered rounds. The fastest TTFS guns are the DA/SA guns. You don't need to chamber a round since the first trigger pull (Usually the heaviest) is Double Action. So it loads the round and cocks the hammer/striking pin on the first shot. Then all subsequent rounds are Single Action with a reduced trigger pull. Maybe you should look into a compact DA/SA firearm for her. Then she doesn't have to carry it cocked, but she needs to finese the trigger on the first pull.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    A selling point for firearms is the TTFS (Time to First Shot). This is measured in seconds and they do it for chamber and unchambered rounds. The fastest TTFS guns are the DA/SA guns. You don't need to chamber a round since the first trigger pull (Usually the heaviest) is Double Action. So it loads the round and cocks the hammer/striking pin on the first shot. Then all subsequent rounds are Single Action with a reduced trigger pull. Maybe you should look into a compact DA/SA firearm for her. Then she doesn't have to carry it cocked, but she needs to finese the trigger on the first pull.

I'm sorry but you still need to chamber a round on a DA/SA firearm, DA/SA refers to the trigger mechanism, DA first shoot SA after that.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I stand corrected. Maybe she should look into a DA/SA compact revolver.

Here is the correct terminology, excuse my mistake.

"Double-action/single-action
    A double-action/single-action (DA/SA) firearm combines the features of both mechanisms. Often called traditional double action, these terms apply almost exclusively to semi-automatic handguns. The function of this trigger mechanism is identical to a DA revolver. However, the firing mechanism automatically cocks the hammer or striker after the gun is fired. This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position but on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action. The Mateba Autorevolver is a semi-automatic revolver that functions on a DA/SA system. The Beretta 92 is a good example of a DA/SA semi-automatic pistol. On many DA/SA pistols (including the Beretta) there is the option to cock the hammer before the first shot is fired. This removes the heavy pull of the double-action. Also, there is often a de-cocker to return the pistol to double-action.
    A second distinct type is that used by the majority of double-action revolvers, where the weapon can be fired in either double-action mode by pulling the trigger, or single-action mode by cocking the hammer manually before firing. This is distinct from double-action only since the weapon does not have to be fired in double-action mode."

Source:Wikipedia
    Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I stand corrected. Maybe she should look into a DA/SA compact revolver.

Here is the correct terminology, excuse my mistake.

"Double-action/single-action
    A double-action/single-action (DA/SA) firearm combines the features of both mechanisms. Often called traditional double action, these terms apply almost exclusively to semi-automatic handguns. The function of this trigger mechanism is identical to a DA revolver. However, the firing mechanism automatically cocks the hammer or striker after the gun is fired. This mechanism will cock and release the hammer when the hammer is in the down position but on each subsequent shot, the trigger will function as a single action. The Mateba Autorevolver is a semi-automatic revolver that functions on a DA/SA system. The Beretta 92 is a good example of a DA/SA semi-automatic pistol. On many DA/SA pistols (including the Beretta) there is the option to cock the hammer before the first shot is fired. This removes the heavy pull of the double-action. Also, there is often a de-cocker to return the pistol to double-action.
    A second distinct type is that used by the majority of double-action revolvers, where the weapon can be fired in either double-action mode by pulling the trigger, or single-action mode by cocking the hammer manually before firing. This is distinct from double-action only since the weapon does not have to be fired in double-action mode."

Source:Wikipedia
    Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)

Uhm, still one up the spout. I'm not sure what you are getting at, Now with a revolver, you can carry without 1 in chamber directly under the hammer (but still have the rest of the cylinder loaded and be ready to fire with a pull of the trigger, albeit with 1 less round on an already somewhat limited capacity) to avoid a discharge due to drop on a weapon without a transfer bar but its still going to rotate the cylinder on DA trigger pull and discharge if there is one in the next chamber in the cylinder.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Uhm, still one up the spout. I'm not sure what you are getting at, Now with a revolver, you can carry without 1 in chamber directly under the hammer to avoid a discharge due to drop on a weapon without a transfer bar but its still going to rotate the cylinder on DA trigger pull and discharge if there is one in the next chamber in the cylinder.

I thought the dilema was that of Time to First Shot with an "uncocked" hammer/pin, or a chambered round? If she needs to fire, hope she never has to, she just wants to pull the trigger and the round is out. I was under the misconception that a DA/SA trigger would also load a round out of the magazine. Definately in the revolver, but not in a magazine fed Semi auto. Unless you load the magazine with the slide locked. ;) But then that's technically cocked. LoL. Get her a light saber instead.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I thought the dilema was that of Time to First Shot with an "uncocked" hammer/pin, or a chambered round? If she needs to fire, hope she never has to, she just wants to pull the trigger and the round is out. I was under the misconception that a DA/SA trigger would also load a round out of the magazine. Definately in the revolver, but not in a magazine fed Semi auto. Unless you load the magazine with the slide locked. ;) But then that's technically cocked. LoL. Get her a light saber instead.

You sir are confusing yourself, as well as everyone who is reading your posts. There is not a revolver out there that I know of that is DA/SA (if there is please let me know I am being serious and not trying to sound smarter than anyone)

Your previous post on DA/SA autos from wiki seems to be correct though.

Her best bet IMO would be to carry with a round in the chamber, and then unload when she gets home is she is concerned about the children getting a hold of it.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    For myself it comes down to safety features. I would keep a round chambered in my single action 1911, but not my double action Sig SP2022. I want to at least have to cock my gun as the Sig has no ral safety.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Keep one in the chamber for sure!! get a good holster that covers the trigger and keeps the gun secure and there will be no problems.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    For myself it comes down to safety features. I would keep a round chambered in my single action 1911, but not my double action Sig SP2022. I want to at least have to cock my gun as the Sig has no ral safety.

Maybe I am missing something here. If this were a revolver, would you be carrying it with the hammer on an empty chamber? The P2022 with the hammer down, and one on the chamber is probably one of the safest pistols you can carry. You can get your first shot off DA, and then it's SA from there on.

The bottom line, is there when you need the firearm, there will likely not be time to rack the slide. Even if there was sufficient time to get it done, most people will not be able to complete the operation effectively under stress. A personal defense firearm with out a round in the chamber is not a firearm, it is a liability.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    You sir are confusing yourself, as well as everyone who is reading your posts. There is not a revolver out there that I know of that is DA/SA (if there is please let me know I am being serious and not trying to sound smarter than anyone)

Her best bet IMO would be to carry with a round in the chamber, and then unload when she gets home is she is concerned about the children getting a hold of it.

Ruger GP100 and many others have adopted the DA/SA trigger system.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a virgin firearms enthusiast. I've been reading far more than I should have, in a short period of time.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI

Many modern revolvers with hammers are SA/DA. If you can cock the hammer and fire the revolver with a reduced trigger pull, that is single action. A trigger pull through that pulls back and drops the hammer is considered double action.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I guess I'll put in a plug for the minority (and put on my flame suit!)

I think it comes down to how comfortable she is with the mode of carry versus her assessment of the risk of needing to draw and fire. i have no problem carrying an unchambered pistol, especially if it has not manual safety. I do it regurlary, but I live in a small, quiet town. Now, if I'm on a trip to the big city (big enough for a mall....) I'll usually carry with one in the chamber.

I don't do along with the "unchambered = rock" mentality. I look at it this way: A chambered gun in hand is better than on the hip which is better than in the pocket which is better than unchmbered on hip or in pocket, which is still better than left in car, which is still better than left at home. Yes, it may take a second or two to chamber a round but I weigh that against the chances of getting jumped / surprised. Most encounters where a gun is drawn are endd without shots fired. So an unchambered gun is still not useless, is it?

And some very good points were made about home safety: teach the kids, unload chamber, secure, etc.

Okay, let the flames fly. I can take it. I all comes down to what you are comfortable with versus risk. And personnaly, I like manual safeties too - so kick me!

---
    GB!

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    i think the best option is to educate your children in how firearms work, and what they can do(positive and negative) i have put my 8 year old and ten year old through a firearm safety class, and they have both been to the range dozens of times, both know what a gun is capable of and respect the power of it. then u can carry it with 1 in the chamber.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have two small children and my girlfriend has three. So small wee ones getting into things can be a real issue. For my self that answer is I carry on my person. If not I have a "dad Bag" that i have put a combination lock onto when visiting at my GF. At home guns are either locked up, carried on person or out of reach of my youngest. My eldest is educated about guns and know that she is only to touch them if I tell her it is ok. Education is the best tool to prevent firearm incidents with kids.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Well this might have been said before since I have not read the ehole thing yet but here is what I thik.

As far as keeping one in the chamber or not well I say keep one in the chamber.
    Now for your kids, I dont know there ages but I belive in education. I have 5 kids my self and have been teaching them since a young age not to play with guns or even touch them if mommy or daddy are not there to watch and help. They all (except for my 5 yr old who is work in progress) will not touch an un safe gun untill the slide is locked open and the mag is removed. I went to the store one day and baught a green Cantalope to use as a deminstration. to a kid when they feel the Cantalope then there head it feels verry similar. then I placed the Cantalope on a fence post and shot it with a small cal. round. (25 auto) They all got to see what a small bullett would do first and we discussed it as far as can you put this back together like you see in your cartoons or video games? Waht if this was your brother, sister, mom, dad or friend? Do you think they would get up after words? Yes it might seem grousome but its reall life and a real danger every parent has to think about when there a gun owner. To this day all my kids will not touch a gun unless I give permission and it has been checked like stated above.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Ruger GP100 and many others have adopted the DA/SA trigger system.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm a virgin firearms enthusiast. I've been reading far more than I should have, in a short period of time.
    Many modern revolvers with hammers are SA/DA. If you can cock the hammer and fire the revolver with a reduced trigger pull, that is single action. A trigger pull through that pulls back and drops the hammer is considered double action.
    True, I guess this idea slipped my mind, since I was reading about Beretta I was thinking of DA/SA in the sense of DA on the first and then AUTOMATICALLY SA on the next round (no revolvers that work like that, that I know of). For a self defense revolver I can only see the SA being used at the range and DA used in a high stress situation.

And Trevlan, reading is a good way to learn, I was just trying to get on the same page. Got it now.

Top Bottom