• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    KCK police captain Robert David Melton killed in shooting | Local News - KMBC Home

Police said that Melton, who came to the scene to assist officers, tried to contact another fleeing suspect and shots were fired. Melton was hit by a bullet fired through the window.Melton was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead just before 3 p.m. He was 46 years old.

Melton had been with the Kansas City, Kansas, Police Department since late 1999. He previous worked as a deputy at the Wyandotte County Sheriff's Office for nine years.
    Police said two people are in custody. They said they are searching for one or two additional people.

2nd officer they've lost in a short period of time, a detective was killed earlier this year.

Interesting that no media headlines mention demographic information on the victim and shooter. Odd, that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Yup. Went through the top 3 pages of Google results. Not a one.

You know, as opposed to:

Video Released Of Black Teen's Fatal Shooting By White Chicago Police Officer

Chicago police officer who shot black teen 16 times charged with murder

Video shows moment white cop shoots black teenager dead as officer charged with murder

Shocking moment white Chicago police officer killed unarmed black teenager, shooting the boy while he was running away in broad daylight

For the record, I've no idea the race of either party involved in this shooting, but the "when it's an issue worth mentioning" for the media's agenda is pretty clear.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    More updates.

The Latest: Slain Kansas Cop Was in Honor Guard at Funeral - ABC News

Suspect in custody matched the description of the shooter. But, I must have missed the actual description.

I know some news agencies don't always release the race of a suspect, which I think is REALLY odd, but this is pretty much taking it to an extreme.

It could be that they are - perhaps at the request of the police or city - not releasing the race of the shooter in an effort to reduce local tensions. While I understand the strategy, I disagree with it. Truth shall set you free.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not odd in the slightest. There's a narrative that white cops prey on black men. If the situation fits that narrative, then race will be a prominent part of the reporting. If it's a black cop and a white man, it will be reported as such in select conservative news sources but done so in an "ironic" way, the hipster of journalism, as a counter to the BLM. If both involved are of the same race or if the cop is the one killed, then race is downplayed or non-existent. If the cop is killed, race is downplayed or non-existent.

This narrative is one of the bricks in the foundation of the recent police murders and NEEDS to be called out more than ever before. Pick up a paper and see the results. The same as the coverage of school shootings and all of the attention paid to the loser who killed people for attention is a brick in the foundation of the next loser in high school who really needs a way to get people to pay attention to him.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    How often do we hear about our local law enforcement getting fired at?
    From numbers I have seen here and comparing that to what I have seen on the tube I will make a guess of less than 10%.
    I'm sure there are multiple reasons but it blows my mind that the news isn't relaying more about this.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You misunderstood what I think is "odd."

Even locally, sometimes there is a criminal act where they release a "description" of the perpetrator, but not the skin color. "The local Quack-and-Sav was robbed last night. Police are looking for a male suspect, approximately 6 ft. tall, brown hair, brown eyes, wearing an AFLAC hoody."

That's what I find odd.

This apparent embargo of the description of the apprehended suspected shooter is taking that relatively mundane policy to an extreme.

Now, it may be for the reasons you mention. Or it may not. Your theory requires active participation by many different news sources with different audiences and different financial stakes. The narrative you describe is not as broad as you believe it to be, IMHO.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Sickening. Again. The one time I watched this reported yesterday, the newspeak readers reported something along the lines of "authorities still aren't sure whether this is related to the recent police killings or if the officer was shot for another reason". Anyone else watch that? I wasn't aware that there is a list of reasons to shoot LEOs. Sadly, I'm afraid the ambush-killing-of-LE genie is out of the bottle indefinitely. Again. Sickening.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Now, it may be for the reasons you mention. Or it may not. Your theory requires active participation by many different news sources with different audiences and different financial stakes. The narrative you describe is not as broad as you believe it to be, IMHO.

Feel free to show me where I'm wrong. The actual headlines I posted came from media sources to include Fox, BBC, CNN, and NPR. Their rationale may be different, the effect is the same.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Feel free to show me where I'm wrong. The actual headlines I posted came from media sources to include Fox, BBC, CNN, and NPR. Their rationale may be different, the effect is the same.

First, are we talking about headlines or reporting? Those are 2 different issues. Reporters write stories; editors write headlines. Headlines are old-school clickbait designed to get you to read the articles.

Second, you will believe what you will believe. You believe the narrative is: officers kill black people. I believe the reporting is narrower than that: officers kill unarmed black people more often than unarmed white people. Perhaps it is a distinction without a difference to you, but I think that's what is seen as newsworthy when it happens. That's why segments of the black community believe they are being treated unfairly.

Again, beliefs may or may not be true, but we have to accept the reality of others' beliefs to try to find common ground, or perhaps even a resolution.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    First, are we talking about headlines or reporting? Those are 2 different issues. Reporters write stories; editors write headlines. Headlines are old-school clickbait designed to get you to read the articles.

Second, you will believe what you will believe. You believe the narrative is: officers kill black people. I believe the reporting is narrower than that: officers kill unarmed black people more often than unarmed white people. Perhaps it is a distinction without a difference to you, but I think that's what is seen as newsworthy when it happens. That's why segments of the black community believe they are being treated unfairly.

Again, beliefs may or may not be true, but we have to accept the reality of others' beliefs to try to find common ground, or perhaps even a resolution.

I tell you to show me where I'm wrong and I get "you'll believe what you'll believe" instead? That's a cop out.

I honestly don't care what you believe the narrative is. You're not going to kill someone regardless. I know what the narrative that the murderers killing cops believe it is. I also know, and many threads right here on INGO prove, that a lot of people never read the article beyond the headline before commenting or making up their mind on whatever is being discussed. The media and high level politicians are telling us the cops are wrong, that if it had been a white man things would have been different, etc. Headlines play race when race matters for the narrative but don't when it contradicts the narrative. If your 'reading' is right, then why is the shooting of unarmed white males reported on so differently?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I tell you to show me where I'm wrong and I get "you'll believe what you'll believe" instead? That's a cop out.

Pardon the pun? ;)

If you're using headlines to define the narrative, you are wrong.

Shooting of unarmed whites are reported, but whites do not have the same history as blacks. If you think otherwise, you are wrong. If you are ignoring the social context for black people, you are wrong.

Feel better? :D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Pardon the pun? ;)

If you're using headlines to define the narrative, you are wrong.

Shooting of unarmed whites are reported, but whites do not have the same history as blacks. If you think otherwise, you are wrong. If you are ignoring the social context for black people, you are wrong.

Feel better? :D

Unarmed whites being killed is disproportionately reported and promoted compared to unarmed blacks being killed.
    You have to see that. It's a media clickbait narrative. Whipping up bull****.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Unarmed whites being killed is disproportionately reported and promoted compared to unarmed blacks being killed.
    You have to see that. It's a media clickbait narrative. Whipping up bull****.
    I'm sorry. I'm trying to understand your first sentence.

Are you saying the media is reporting more unarmed whites being killed?

Proportions is math. Elsewhere, I found some research that says minorities speed at a higher proportion than whites, and that they are pulled over in roughly THAT same percentage, as opposed to their percentage of the population.

That's logical (although there may be issues with the study/studies).

If we accept that a small percentage of stops are going to end tragically, then it also follows that black motorists will be involved in the tragic ones at a rate higher than their percentage of the population.

But here's the punch line: I don't think it is a race issue at all, in reality. My sense is that poor people of any race are more likely to: a) break the law; and, b) get shot by police while armed or unarmed, than rich/middle-class people.

If we want to limit this to media-narrative, though, then we might as well talk about how what to do about it. Any thoughts there?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We have entered an odd period of time when the MSM and others refuse to print a simple description of a perpetrator. Someone posted here on the INGO about a university awhile back that had a rapist on the loose and they refused to give the race of the guy that people should be on the look out for... very helpful warning.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Basically, it's reverse Affirmative Action.
    There are too many blacks being killed by whites and they just need to have more whites killed by blacks to balance it all out. Simple really.

I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

EDIT- BBI, you're too white to understand but if you ask any BLM, he'll set you straight. :):

Last edited:
    Top Bottom