• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Just going off the video, this one is on the line for me.

The big guy certainly looks to be the aggressor, but he doesn't appear to have a weapon, and the shove on the little guy would be considered ordinary physical force in the moment. It's the defender (little guy) that escalates by responding with deadly force by drawing a pistol. It does look to me like the big guy came in hard when little guy retreated into the car because he was trying to stuff the draw.

Little guy can certainly argue disparity of force because of how big the other guy is, but courts have repeatedly held that hands and fists are generally considered ordinary physical force and do not warrant a response with deadly force. Basically, trying to avoid getting punched doesn't mean you can shoot people. We can argue all day whether that's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

That said, I personally probably wouldn't vote to convict the guy if I were on the jury because I tend to err on the side of self defense. But just by the letter of the law in many states, this is borderline. I don't have an issue with timing of follow up shots as guy was retreating, but I can see how a prosecutor or jury might.

As mentioned up thread, this is a classic example of where a good OC spray comes into play. Had the little guy been prepared with that as big guy came over, he could likely have avoided this whole mess. There was no reason to let the big guy get that close and inside of the reactionary gap. There was plenty of opportunity to hose him down with the hot sauce either on the approach or while he was jaw-jacking and before the shove.

:twocents:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Just going off the video, this one is on the line for me.

The big guy certainly looks to be the aggressor, but he doesn't appear to have a weapon, and the shove on the little guy would be considered ordinary physical force in the moment. It's the defender (little guy) that escalates by responding with deadly force by drawing a pistol. It does look to me like the big guy came in hard when little guy retreated into the car because he was trying to stuff the draw.

Little guy can certainly argue disparity of force because of how big the other guy is, but courts have repeatedly held that hands and fists are generally considered ordinary physical force and do not warrant a response with deadly force. Basically, trying to avoid getting punched doesn't mean you can shoot people. We can argue all day whether that's right or wrong, but it is what it is.

That said, I personally probably wouldn't vote to convict the guy if I were on the jury because I tend to err on the side of self defense. But just by the letter of the law in many states, this is borderline. I don't have an issue with timing of follow up shots as guy was retreating, but I can see how a prosecutor or jury might.

As mentioned up thread, this is a classic example of where a good OC spray comes into play. Had the little guy been prepared with that as big guy came over, he could likely have avoided this whole mess. There was no reason to let the big guy get that close and inside of the reactionary gap. There was plenty of opportunity to hose him down with the hot sauce either on the approach or while he was jaw-jacking and before the shove.

:twocents:
    I get what you are seeing with “just fists” The main issue was the big guy was striking the little guy into a hard object (car) That bumps it up into the serious bodily injury category (one of the factors in George Zimmerman acquittal It was shown Martin was smashing Zimmerman head into the concrete and any “reasonable” person knew they were at risk of serious bodily injury.

And the big guy left after first contact and came back.

Why decisions to charge/not charge take weeks sometimes. They look at everything and sometimes video that the public doesn’t know about!

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    To many unknowns. Mainly what state is it in.

To me it falls in the Play stupid games you win stupid prizes category. The big guy put on a show for his ego and he earned his prize.

Easy disparity of force. It was more than just a shove. Big guy most certainly had a weapon, that's his hands and he was using that weapon. The little guy didn't escalate it, the little guy was reacting to the escalation of violence.

If this clip is all I had to go on, the little guy is in the clear.

I have health problems that eliminates me going hands on with someone. I would lose that every time, and I don't plan on losing just for some silly idea that a fight is somehow supposed to be fair.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not really an apple to apples comparison. Police are trying to take someone into custody earth people just want to break contact. Unfortunately She was not the first one to mistake a firearm for a taser. In fact the frequency that mishaps like that happened with Oilice is why most agencies unless they are under a rock dictate off side carry.

I know of no documented cases where a LE or civilian confused a firearm for a canister of Oeoper/OC spray

A large percentage of people are programmed to gun only and that’s not always legal and or if it is is it the best way?

Perhaps BBI can ad in some content.

Taser issue was muscle memory and set expectations. The taser draws the same as a pistol and is activated the same as a pistol. She carried it next to her pistol and when she felt the draw she expected to feel her brain didn't catch up to the minute differences in time. OC is not drawn the same, is not carried in the same manner, and is not activated the same. The odds of confusing OC for pistol or vice versa unless someone is too stupid to carry either is essentially zero. Simply cross drawing the Taser is enough to trigger the "this isn't right" response for Taser vs pistol confusion, so the completely different feel and activation of the OC should well over compensate.

I suppose if you had one of those pepper ball blaster things the Taser V Pistol argument may hold more water, but I don't see it with a canister style.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I guess no one knows if the hop, skip, jump is kidney shot?

Ok, well, back on topic . . .

First two, yes, justified, reasonable fear of sbi or death, but after those, the ones to the back . . . a shot at Manslaughter to be sure.

Where is this? Looks Arizonaey?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The big bully got what was coming to him! He got his comeuppance big time!
    Crap, Fine....now im off to ask the Book of Knowledge girl with the Juris Doctor what the **** comeuppance means!!!!!
    BRB...

Edit,
    I asked her what it meant and she responded with,
    You are a terse sycophant.

I'm still at a loss.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Taser issue was muscle memory and set expectations. The taser draws the same as a pistol and is activated the same as a pistol. She carried it next to her pistol and when she felt the draw she expected to feel her brain didn't catch up to the minute differences in time. OC is not drawn the same, is not carried in the same manner, and is not activated the same. The odds of confusing OC for pistol or vice versa unless someone is too stupid to carry either is essentially zero. Simply cross drawing the Taser is enough to trigger the "this isn't right" response for Taser vs pistol confusion, so the completely different feel and activation of the OC should well over compensate.

I suppose if you had one of those pepper ball blaster things the Taser V Pistol argument may hold more water, but I don't see it with a canister style.

Well, I don't carry a taser, so I don't have a dog in the fight.
    But I've often thought the taser should be designed so that it's NOT shaped or activated like a pistol.
    That whole muscle memory thing you mentioned.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    1688989987872.png

What we see on the two videos is one thing... context, and possibly pretext, might be involved.

My BS detector, while not pegged, is hitting high numbers. I would not be surprised if we find out the shooter/defender "called his shots" well in advance, for example.

Anyone find where and when this occurred and who was involved?

Judamonster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    There could be any number of scenarios that led to the fight. Little guy looks like he wanted the altercation-that smug look on his face tells me he did something to start the entire thing. I am a very big person (I dwarf the big guy). I have a lifetime of Napoleon stories where I have to deal with people like that. They usually earn the bruises they get. If the fatal shot was in the back I would say it's murder no matter the back story. Your life is not being threatened by someone running away. If it is in the front, I would not love my chances in court. A shove isn't deadly force. Sometimes, a man has to take his beating. If the little dude instigated the fight, its murder either way.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    First two, yes, justified, reasonable fear of sbi or death, but after those, the ones to the back . . . a shot at Manslaughter to be sure.
    That's kinda what I said earlier...in the imminent moment, yes, he had a right to defend himself against an obviously aggressive and physically threatening (grave physical harm and/or death) situation...but after the aggressor choose to run away, the shooter continuing to fire (into his back as he was fleeing) made the smaller individual now the aggressor. That, and the way he calmly re-holstered his pistol and flashed a hand-sign at the van as it was leaving...he'll have to pass muster with the local district attorney for this to be truly 'self-defense.'

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I guess no one knows if the hop, skip, jump is kidney shot?

Ok, well, back on topic . . .

I'm pretty sure it is outside of a church just before Wednesday night Bible study.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Not near enough context to know what was really going on, but based on what is seen in the video, I'm just gonna say it didn't look like there was much "justified" to go around on anyone's part in this incident.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    First shots look justified to me. From what was shown, the big guy was the aggressor, was already committing assault and battery, and the smaller guy had reasonable fear for his safety. Any shots after the guy is actively running away though would not be justified. Any link to story / details?

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Apparently this occurred in January 2022 in a cannabis dispensary parking lot, West Pueblo, CO:

The building and surroundings from the video match the Dispo Dispensary.

1689018735082.png

No other info I can find....

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom