Just ordered my first factory-built AR...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Now that it has already been ordered, I'll do the traditional INGO thing of asking if it's any good. :):

811025_01_lg.jpg

Model M&P15 VTAC® II Viking Tactics®
    SKU: 811025
    Model: M&P15 VTAC® II
    Caliber: 5.56 mm NATO
    Capacity: 30 Rounds Detachable Magazine
    Action: Semi-Auto
    Barrel Length: 16” / 40.6 cm
    Barrel Twist: 1 in 8” 5R Rifling
    Overall Length: 36.75 ” Extended / 33.5” Collapsed
    Stock: VLTOR™ IMod Stock / 6 Position Collapsible
    Weight: 6.28 lbs.
    Barrel Material: 4150 CMV
    Barrel Finish: Durable, Corrosion Resistant Barrel Finish
    Receiver Material: 7075 T6 Aluminum
    Receiver Finish: Hard Coat Black Anodized

Features & Benefits

Mid-Length Gas System
    Chromed-Lined Bolt Carrier and Gas Key
    VTAC®/Troy™ 13” Extreme TRX Hand Guard
    Patent-Pending, Smith & Wesson Enhanced Flash Hider
    Geissele® Super V Trigger
    VTAC® Wide, Padded 2-Point Tactical Sling
    VLTOR™ IMod 6-Position, Collapsible Stock
    VTAC® Light Mount
    VTAC® LPSM Low Profile Sling Mount
    30 Round PMAG® Magazine

This gun includes many of the same components/features I'd include if I were to build another one, so I figured why not? Besides, FREE is the right price for just about anything, correct? :D

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I already have an Aimpoint that's needing a new home, so I'll just have to add a set of iron sights and a vertical grip, swap out the A2 grip with something useful, and eventually replace the FH with something that's HALO compatible.

Looking forward to a nice lightweight gun, and that Geissele trigger.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Personally I like the MOE Mid for the Smiths (cool Magpul lower :) ), but the VTAC ain't bad. I don't think anyone will say you overpaid for it

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Now that it has already been ordered, I'll do the traditional INGO thing of asking if it's any good. :):

811025_01_lg.jpg

Model M&P15 VTAC® II Viking Tactics®
    SKU: 811025
    Model: M&P15 VTAC® II

Oh man that's a terrible rifle. You will hate it. Tell you what I'll swing by the shop and take that thing off your hands for and dispose of it properly. All for free because I'm just a nice guy like that.

Actually I just really jealous because The VTAC M&P 15 was a model I have been really interested in for a while now.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I already have an Aimpoint that's needing a new home, so I'll just have to add a set of iron sights and a vertical grip, swap out the A2 grip with something useful, and eventually replace the FH with something that's HALO compatible.

Looking forward to a nice lightweight gun, and that Geissele trigger.

I'm getting ready to put a Geissele SSA trigger in my 6940, can't wait to try it out either! Viking Tactics know's how to use rifles so I am not surprised "their" AR is a good one. I don't mind the A2 grip that much but I always switch them to a Magpul MOE. Feels much better in my big paws.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    the only thing I might have recommended different (you know, since you asked after the fact) is handguards. I had one of those for a while. The way it clamps to the barrel nut is very weak. with just light pressure pinching the barrel and handguard together I could get the handguard to touch the gas block. I dont doubt with a little pressure on a rest or from a sling the same thing could happen. I wouldn't have trusted it to keep zero decently at all w/ iron mounted on it. Mine also set off center (with a straight edge along the rail, you could really see it angle up).

I called vtac for help / replacement but they didn't support that model any more since the alphas are out. The guy I talked to at vtac offered I could send it to his personal shop (ie not vtac) and pay them to try to make it right. I opted to put the $ into different handguards.

maybe I just got a bad sample, who knows.

-rvb

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a Vtac II and in my opinion is a sweet rifle, I did add a BCM bolt and charging handle. I really liked the trigger but took me a little getting used to it since is a single stage and I always have had two stage triggers, the only reason I don't have it anymore more is I traded for a KAC mod 1 but I would buy one again if the opportunity came up.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the only thing I might have recommended different (you know, since you asked after the fact) is handguards. The way it clamps to the barrel nut is very weak.

Yeah, the old style VTAC rail doesn't thrill me, but it's what comes on the gun. I don't recall any issues like what you describe, with the ones I have installed for customers. If it gives me any trouble, I'll just replace it with an Alpha.

big plans for it or just a good one for the safe? :)

No big plans, other than to shoot it. A lot. :)

Top Bottom