• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I finally scored my dream lease and wanted some advice on things I might not be thinking of. I am drafting up a lease agreement...get 1million in liability insurance.

I think the one thing that has me a little on edge is the possibility of dealing with poachers and squatters. This place is down a dead end road and I am sure I might have to confront people when gun season comes.

Any advice would be helpful. I have never hunted alone, always walked in with a buddy so this will be somewhat creepy initially especially if I run into someone in my stand. So far have always been lucky to hunt remote places where no one travels.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Get to know the conservation officer who patrols your area, his phone # on speed dial as well as the local law enforcement. I know some guys invite local law enforcement folks to hunt on their leases in exchange for some coverage.
    Maybe invite someone in on your lease. ;)

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I would look into some sort of long term lease if your planning on putting any time and money into it . Usually like around a 5 year lease is good .

I wouldn't want to put in food plots or any other improvements and have someone else come in the next year and reap the rewards of my hard work .

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Huntmeister has great advice. Call the local CO and let him know who you are and about your lease agreement.
    Bring a signed permission permit from the land owner
    undrstand if it had been hunted before and if so by who
    If possible bring a buddy several times.

Scout the land in advance for signs of others hunting it

nettinyahoo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    South Bend
    I like to make where I hunt "look" hunted with a highly visible stand. Even if you don't hunt out of it. Also get there early and park where they can see you, maybe they will think twice about sneaking on. Don't get creeped out, get mad if you see someone and act crazy. They are trying to steal from you.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    They have lease posting signs put them up where people can see them before they enter the property.. also as said above put the DNR on speed dial that it there jobs... Then have a good time and kill a monster !!!! Call the DNR Im sure they can give you the name and number of the office who is over your area...

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I had to throw 2 people off my place on opening day(firearm) the first year I bought it. Same thing.....dead end road, etc. Idiots come strolling thru 20 minutes after sun up. I had a copy of all paperwork in the truck and YELLED from my treestand that I was coming down to call the law and had the original deed to property in my possession. He didn't stick around too long. So I guess that kinda goes along with act mad but controlled as said above.

BTW, I had already prepared for this to happen so it really wasn't too much of a surprise.

You can count on the CO to take many hours for a response of trespassing on opening day. Be prepared to handle it yourself and file a report later...whenever they get around to coming out.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This nonsense is really anyway you go. My buddy and I hunt private land in Parke county. We were analyzing a trail cam pic but could not for the life of us figure out what set it off. Then my buddy noticed a guy who looks like chumly from pawn stars in the background. I blew it up and printed several copies. We posted them where he was caught on camera and around that general area. Caption just said you do not have permission to be on this property therefore you're trespassing. Leave now and do not come back.

Having the CO's number handy is a good idea. Getting in early is also good.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks everyone for all of your comments. I plan on keeping a copy of my lease on me at all times with my hunting license and tags. The owner has already said he is posting a big yellow sign on the dead end drive that states the land has been leased and to stay off. Since its his land I cant argue with him. He is old school and even held the lease for me for a few days. He is looking for a long term lease who will help him take care of his land. If the sign drives a higher bidder his way oh well..thats life.

I can only hunt mornings so I am typically in the stand early, around an hour before sunrise. My biggest issue would be walking in the dark and finding someone in my stand to confront. What I ahve decided to do this year is carry my shotgun setup for predator hunting with me during bow season. I called DNR and they said it was allowed with a valid hunting license so I will use it if I see a yote too far off for the bow but also have it in hand when walking in to the stand. It would make a statement without me having to pull my 9mm.

It is going to be a very strange feeling walking to the stand alone on these new woods. I have always walked in with a buddy or my dad the majority of the way before we seperate, on top of knowing my old hunting place like the back of my hand in the dark.

It will be so rewarding that first morning when the sun comes up though!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Keeping people off your hunting ground is a never ending battle. I wouldn't place your stand in a visible area or close to the entrance, it's a good way to lose it.

Top Bottom