• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The gunsmith said the sear looked rounded and that was usually a desired attribute to a gun, but how would it lighten up on it's own?

/rant off

There are two bad ways to rework a MN trigger:

1. Bend it so the sear barely engages
    2. Grind down the sear such that the mating surfaces are round and not square.
    There's one way to rework a trigger properly:

1. carefully grind down the trigger such that the mating surfaces are matched, yet still has a sharp edge. The Finn's were masters at this.

Right there is your answer. Unfortunately, the Mosin is one of the firearms that you don't want a rounded sear on. How did it happen? Probably used a worn part during refurb, just enough that it happens once in a while instead of regularly. How to fix? File the sear back square if there is enough material, otherwise replace it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had the dreaded A-D with a 1911 in my shop at the work bench. Wife standing next to me and, a friend working on his race bike on the lift behind me and another buddy at the other bench. The sound was deafening and all I could think of is where did it go. The gun was not +-P rated and I ran a lot of +-P through it and it tore the gun up. I dismantled it and disposed of the parts. I found and still have the bullet along with the hole in my bench. Lucky no one was hurt.

Kirk....this stuff does happen. Guns are machines and machines are made by humans and they will fail on occasion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    thats not uncommon for a nagant. a buddy of mine had one blow up in his hands once when closing the bolt it went BANG. I sold mine right after that

he still has shrapnel in his hand from it

As cool as these guns are they are ancient pieces and God knows what they have been through. Buddy has a few and offered to let me have one just for fun. No thanks. Too many questions and no answers. No knock on the fun folks seem to have with them and they do go freaking "Boom" when the trigger is pulled but then there is this issue. Be careful.

Top Bottom