• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Just bought my first SKS Yugo M59/66, what do I need to check out and any good info on breaking it down and cleaning it up?

Thanks

mdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for the link. I remembered being to cheap to buy one when they were $100 and now I spent $300 to get it but I've been wanting one so oh well.:rolleyes:
    I'm a noob and can't figure out how to post pic other than from a http:?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    There is a good "how to" thread on posting pictures, but in short you'll need to get an online host account like photobucket, flikr, etc. Those places host your images and provide the link code to post in message forums.

Regarding your new baby, the Yugo's are known to be a little tempermental, due in large part to using corrosive ammo for most of their military life. This lead to damage to the gas valve that may allow gas to leak out, and cause the action to short cycle and jam.

There are ways to fix that, including a new gas valve. There is also a "paper clip" trick that you can do to improve the seal between the valve and the gas tube.

Best thing to do with them is shoot them!!

mdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/53031121@N04/6864749089/Here you go
    a%3E

Last edited:

mdale

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks, the wood is in really wood condition and thats what caught my eye. Now I just need to get all the cosmoline out of it and oil the wood, check out this gas valve and shoot.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Should be able to click the
    insertimage.gif
    and input the URL from where you hosted the pic but doesn't seem to display properly when I try and do it for you.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    And even though it is cheaper, stay away from the Yugo surplus ammo, it's corrosive and dirty, what a pain to clean. As soon as I use up what I bought, I will stick with the cheap Tulammo from Walmart.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    6864749089_9c4692b3e0.jpg

Here you go. SKSes are tough rifles. Just from that picture, it appears to be in very good condition. Do an initial cleaning and check for possible corrosion. After that, have fun. It eats cheap ammo. You can use old mul-surp corrosive, but have to be sure to clean soon after. There are a lot of newer brands that don't have that problem (Brown/Silver/Gold Bear, Wolf, Golden Tiger, etc).

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    The Yugo SKS is my favorite version. I had a Norinco that was so-so, but feel as though the Yugoslavian version is a little better made. A guy I work with has a Russian manufacture one that was made in 1953 - it is really nice.

bigwisher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I have a yugo with a camo tapco stock, bipod, and scope. I absolutely love this gun. It's my favorite gun in my safe. Whoever said don't tapco f**k don't listen to them. They're awesome. I've never had a single problem with mine and I've put thousands of rounds threw it. Cheap to shoot. There's tons of things you can do to it if you want. Great guns.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Clean it, shoot it, enjoy it, and DON'T TAPCO F**K IT ! :yesway:

^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^

SKS's skss sks"\s ksks What ever the plural for SKS is, are great rifles, If you treat them right they will treat you better.

My family collectively has 5 Russians. All are very accurate and very reliable. The only reason the russians quit using them is bc the AK was cheaper and easier to make. Some will say the AK is more reliable, but Ive found that to be arguable.

Top Bottom