Just asking; I'm sure I cannot afford to buy, by ANY means.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    What would an original M-2, in cosmoline, in crate, complete w/o tripod, be worth in the 9/2012 market? I recall seeing thern adv. in Shotgun New years ago @ $11,000. And M-16s the same, as original guns. What's the up-dated price? Thanks, EBG

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have no idea what they are today, but I'm pretty sure a few years ago used ones were selling north of $20k. It was a good deal if you found a used one in the teens if I'm not mistaken...

Today's market, I have no clue, but that should be a "starting point" for your quest...

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    What would an original M-2, in cosmoline, in crate, complete w/o tripod, be worth in the 9/2012 market? I recall seeing thern adv. in Shotgun New years ago @ $11,000. And M-16s the same, as original guns. What's the up-dstrd price? Thanks, EBG

I am guessing "M2" = M2HB 50BMG, in which case assuming it is transferable (i.e. pre '86 and registered) and in particular an older WWII era that is a C&R, then a pretty penny, with a Colt being a few dollars more.

Friend got one for around six grand in the 90's.

db_M2HBCR1.gif

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Wow, those prices really swing!

"In the 90s," would you say he got a good deal, or no? Was the barrel all shot out? Are barrels registered? It's all Q.T. and all, but whispered prices around the tri-states (IN,MI,OH) are 14-15k, M2HB, WWII vintage. I tracked a lead over a day and evening, but could not define whether the piece was "dirty" or transferrable. How can an "iffy" piece be made legal, and bought, or is it not possible? Does a lucky C&R owner claim a double price?
    I am guessing "M2" = M2HB 50BMG, in which case assuming it is transferable (i.e. pre '86 and registered) and in particular an older WWII era that is a C&R, then a pretty penny, with a Colt being a few dollars more.

db_M2HBCR1.gif

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Who compiled ...

... your statistics?

db_M2HBCR1.gif

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    If it is not a C&R but registered plate gun by one of the many manufacturers who built them prior to 86 ban, than around 20K is more realistic

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    "In the 90s," would you say he got a good deal, or no? Was the barrel all shot out? Are barrels registered? It's all Q.T. and all, but whispered prices around the tri-states (IN,MI,OH) are 14-15k, M2HB, WWII vintage. I tracked a lead over a day and evening, but could not define whether the piece was "dirty" or transferrable. How can an "iffy" piece be made legal, and bought, or is it not possible? Does a lucky C&R owner claim a double price?

There is no such thing as an "iffy" piece. Its either registered properly or its contraband. You cannot make a non registered gun legal other than by destroying the right sideplate. The parts have value if they're in good shape. The illegal sideplate has liability to to the tune of 25yrs and $25K in fines.

Prices back in the 90's were quite a bit lower. I saw C&R guns selling for $1200-2000 and plates could be had for about $450. A sideplate gun complete and ready to go ran about $1000.

Value is related more to the paperwork then the gun in most cases. .50 Cal M2's are not automatically C&R. You have to prove to NFA branch they are over 50 years old to get the status because so many were rebuilt so often. Doesn't make sense but thats how it works. C&R guns are usually worth a bit more because they are far less common than sideplate guns or rewelds. A lot of guys built plates prior to 1986 and registered them. Current value for a shootable M2 plate gun with a mount is from $15-20K. C&R guns might bring $25 unless they're something special. Prices peaked a few years back at around $25K for a transferable sideplate gun. They're down now mainly due to the cost of ammo. When it was 80 cents a round the guns were popular. With ammo at $3/rd they're less so.

Dream on.....

Frank

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Thanks, Frank.

Got two C&R located up in Grayling, MI already. $8000 and $9500. Stated "Price of ammo" as reason for selling. Thanks MUCH for the information. EBG

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The prices were lower in the 90's ... HK sears were $400 and a nearly new Colt M16A1 was several thousand ....

The Ma Duce friend picked up was a Colt and in great condition ...

Top Bottom