John Cornyn booed by crowd at state GOP convention while negotiating gun control bill

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Some of these Senators aren't running for their seat again. They're the ones that are going to go the extra mile for "their legacy" IMO.

Blunt - MO
    Burr - NC

The fact that this group also includes Romney scares the crap out of me. He's already shown his colors on this issue while he was Gov of Mass with the support of the NRA, I might add.

Nobody on that list of R senators inspires any confidence.

Get ready for a bill that contains Universal Background Checks and a Federal Red Flag Law with the "support of the NRA on behalf of law abiding gun owners across this great country" or some such gibberish, meanwhile there will be all kinds of other things thrown into the bill that are even worse.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Exactly the welcome he deserved and hopefully the same welcome the others like him will receive at the ballot box.

I no longer care what the parasites in DC determine to be "law". I stopped listening, caring or planning to comply a long time ago. **** all of them. I know the difference between right and wrong, they obviously don't or have made the decision to ignore it. They deserve neither support nor approval and they damned sure won't get it here.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The rank and file of the Republican Party apparatus in Texas is definitely more conservative than the politicians that manage to get elected.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Some of these Senators aren't running for their seat again. They're the ones that are going to go the extra mile for "their legacy" IMO.

Blunt - MO
    Burr - NC

The fact that this group also includes Romney scares the crap out of me. He's already shown his colors on this issue while he was Gov of Mass with the support of the NRA, I might add.

Nobody on that list of R senators inspires any confidence.

Get ready for a bill that contains Universal Background Checks and a Federal Red Flag Law with the "support of the NRA on behalf of law abiding gun owners across this great country" or some such gibberish, meanwhile there will be all kinds of other things thrown into the bill that are even worse.
    When I’m on a computer and not my phone I’ll post what the NRA-ILA has as the position on Red Flag laws.

Still waiting to meet a GOA rep at the Statehouse…

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    When I’m on a computer and not my phone I’ll post what the NRA-ILA has as the position on Red Flag laws.

Still waiting to meet a GOA rep at the Statehouse…
    From 2019. Link no longer worked but I had a copy.

What is the NRA's position on emergency risk protection orders (ERPOs)?

The NRA’s position on emergency risk protection orders (ERPOs) has recently been mischaracterized by some who haven't taken the time to understand our position, including the anti-gun mainstream media and organizations that purport to support the Second Amendment. Many of the individuals mischaracterizing our position are using misinformation to simply attack the NRA.

The NRA fights for the constitutional freedoms, including the due process rights, of all law-abiding Americans, every day in Congress, the statehouses and the courts. Our record on this is clear. Due process of law is a bedrock of our constitutional freedoms. Without it, we would cease to exist as a free country.

All fifty states currently have civil commitment procedures and many lack basic due process protections. This is unacceptable. The NRA believes that no one should be deprived of a fundamental right without due process of law.

Some have raised the issue of current ERPO laws in California, Oregon, Vermont and other states, suggesting that the NRA supports those laws. This is false. The NRA strongly opposed these laws because they do not protect due process rights. We will continue to oppose confiscation schemes such as these.

In addition, the NRA opposes any effort to create a federal ERPO law, in which federal agents would be tasked with seizing firearms after a hearing in federal court. As states consider ERPO laws, the NRA will continue to push for the inclusion of strong due process protections.

The NRA believes that any effort should be structured to fully protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens while preventing truly dangerous individuals from accessing firearms.

The requirements of an ERPO process that the NRA could support should include the following:

• The process should include criminal penalties for those who bring false or frivolous charges.
    • An order should only be granted when a judge makes the determination, by clear and convincing evidence, that the person poses a significant risk of danger to themselves or others.
    • The process should require the judge to make a determination of whether the person meets the state standard for involuntary commitment. Where the standard for involuntary commitment is met, this should be the course of action taken.
    • If an ERPO is granted, the person should receive community-based mental health treatment as a condition of the ERPO.
    • Any ex parte proceeding should include admitting the individual for treatment.
    • A person’s Second Amendment rights should only be temporarily deprived after a hearing before a judge, in which the person has notice of the hearing and is given an opportunity to offer evidence on his or her behalf.
    • There should be a mechanism in place for the return of firearms upon termination of an ERPO, when a person is ordered to relinquish their firearms as a condition of the order.
    • The ERPO process should allow an individual to challenge or terminate the order, with full due process protections in place.
    • The process should allow firearms to be retained by law-abiding third parties, local law enforcement, or a federally licensed firearms dealer when an individual is ordered to relinquish such firearms as a condition of the ERPO. The individual must also have the ability to sell his or her firearms in a reasonable time without violating the order.
    Again, the NRA will continue to oppose any proposal that does not fully protect due process rights. We will only support an ERPO process that strongly protects both Second Amendment rights and due process rights

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good. Hopefully he's smart enough to start updating his resume. All of the problems this country is facing and dickheads like this guy want to continue down the path of "compromise". Hopefully his political career is near its end.
    Has he forgotten who he works for?
    Yes. Yes he has.
    Time to flush these tires down the pipe.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0