• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    There is a jerky outlet store over by cabelas in Louisville. I buy a lot of there products. My favorite is the Cajun bbq smoked brisket.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I've been doing my own jerky for about 18 years. I have my own recipe, but the past several years I have used commercial mixes. Started with Nesco, then switched to LEM a few years ago.
    My biggest problem with the commercial mixes is the end product is too salty!

I made a batch of LEM HOT and MESQUITE on Sunday, out of a 4lb. eye of round, and it turned out great. What I deduced is that I only marinated it for 5 hours, instead of overnight. Took about 5 hours in the dehydrator(Nesco Snackmaster), with six trays total. I had a pre-dry weight of 2lb,15oz., which was divided by the two seasonings. And of course, I rotated trays and flipped the jerky pieces about mid-way through the drying process. Wasn't too salty, and the wife thoroughly approved of the Mesquite(only jerky she likes[besides Sturgis Jerky]).

A few weeks ago I tried two recipes from this site: https://www.jerkyholic.com/beef-jerky-recipes/ , using an english roast. Can't remember which recipes I did, but was not impressed. I think I will stick to my recipe and the LEM seasonings. (NO, I will not give you my secret recipe...unless a cheeseburger is involved, or maybe a trade for your own recipe, or some Sturgis Jerky ).

Heads Up!: Meijer has whole eye of rounds for 2.99/lb this week(Indianapolis area, until Wed.). This is what I use, and after trimming the fatcap and silver skin, etc., I lose about 1lb. of total weight on a whole eye. In all, the leanness is better than any other cut of meat(except for venison), in my opinionated opinion!

Another Heads Up: Don't go out and buy one of those commercial dehydrators from Cabelas, you know, this one. I have used one for large batches(~12lb pre-dry) of jerky and it is no better than my 8-tray Nesco. Too much moving jerky, and trays, around to get the proper drying consistency. KISS: Keep It Simple Stewart.

Last edited:

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    I call this one 4 Beer Jerky. semi frozen makes it easier to slice.

5# venison cut into Jerky strips
    1 tbl Black milled pepper
    1.75 oz. liquid smoke
    8 oz soy sauce
    8 tlb Worchestershire sauce
    6 tbl A-1 sauce
    2 tbl meat tenderizer
    1 tbl onion powder
    1 tbl garlic powder
    3 tbl crushed red peppers
    2-4 tbl ground cayenne pepper
    3-5 tbl hot sauce

I marinate overnight and stir things up 2-3 times. use wooden cabob sticks and dry the jerky in the oven set on low with a folded hot pad in the oven door to let moisture escape. I store in sealed mason jars in the fridge and it will last until my boys find it and inhale it..lol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom