• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With all the recent talk of James Yeager's time in Iraq as a private security contractor, and with everyone's familiarity with his motorcade ambush video, I was surprised to see that he uploaded more motorcade footage this morning.

********LANGUAGE WARNING********

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0nK4aOY8gc[/ame]

While the video itself isn't all that exciting, it does give the viewer a sense of the area, the crazy driving conditions, and the kind of conversation that was typical during a detail. Even if you don't care for Yeager's style I still think you'll find the video interesting.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

Thanks for your service. :patriot: I think I'd have gone nuts. :eek:

Thanks guys, but the credit really deserves to go to those who never came back, or didnt come back as complete as they left. I was blessed to return healthy and to a stable environment with a simple transition. Many others are not so lucky. It was a helluva experience though, and I am a strong person today because of it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Looks like traffic laws are kind of optional over there. :D

It is like that in a lot of mid-east and SW asian countries. India is horrible. Fortunately rather than dodging road blocks, IED's, and ambushes like the brave folks in Iraq, you have to dodge Cows, Goats, and broken down trucks when driving in India.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    It is like that in a lot of mid-east and SW asian countries. India is horrible. Fortunately rather than dodging road blocks, IED's, and ambushes like the brave folks in Iraq, you have to dodge Cows, Goats, and broken down trucks when driving in India.

At a place I consulted back in 2001, the leave project manager took a couple week vacation back home to India. Some of the video he brought back made you wonder how anyone survived auto traffic in some of those places. Just slightly directed anarchy with suicidal tendencies.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    At a place I consulted back in 2001, the leave project manager took a couple week vacation back home to India. Some of the video he brought back made you wonder how anyone survived auto traffic in some of those places. Just slightly directed anarchy with suicidal tendencies.

Not to stray off topic too much, but I would agree. The old saying "There are no atheists in a fox hole" has a modern version of "There are no atheists riding in taxis in India."

After my 4th or 5th near head on collision with a truck, I decided that it was no longer in my control, and only the man upstairs could bring me home safe.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Looks like traffic laws are kind of optional over there. :D

No one knew how to drive. I know in Baghdad in 04, there was maybe 3 optional stop lights that no one followed. Even police standing out there, no one listened to, unless he shot at you.

I logged 78,000 miles of that in my time in iraq. Its not what you would call, enjoyable.

I never figured out how many we drove, i know we were outside the wire everyday except Sundays, and driving all over the place. Glad we both made it back. Got some interesting pictures, but its hard to explain about traffic there. I got back and within a couple years, was stationed near NYC, and told that i was driving too nicely (from being in Texas), and that i needed to "man it up", so, I drove Iraqi style, they begged me to never do that again. Always interesting driving in other then 1st world countries. :patriot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    More clips.

**************LANGUAGE************

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3K0Slw1FB4[/ame]

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Thanks guys, but the credit really deserves to go to those who never came back, or didnt come back as complete as they left. I was blessed to return healthy and to a stable environment with a simple transition. Many others are not so lucky. It was a helluva experience though, and I am a strong person today because of it.

Couldn't have said it better myself! I logged around 90k, and the only real adjustment problem was wanting to straddle the median and stopping several car lengths back lol. You do BIAP runs?

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I have no idea how many miles I did in Afghanistan, but my biggest problem coming back was 465, 70, 65...

See our ROE was No civilian vehicle is to ever get into or stop a convoy. ROE Steps if that happens:
    1. Designated vehicle pull along side use hand and arm signals.
    2. Use your vehicle to push the other vehicle out of the convoy.
    3. If they continue, use your weapon to disable the vehicle. Shoot the engine block.
    4. If they continue deadly force is authorized.

So I get home and no one will get out of my way...my wife didn't like riding with me for like 3 weeks after, I'd get mad, get within inches of the vehicle in front of me and not understand why they didn't move. She finally said "it's because you don't have an effin 50 cal on top, slow down!"

Thanks to everyone else who has served, and mostly thank you to my brothers and sisters who didn't come home. :patriot:

Top Bottom