• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    AIWB is *very* holster/gun/belt/body dependent. I think the most equipment dependent sort of carry to get right comfortably and safely. Slightly behind the strong side hip IWB is dead nuts easy and can be accomplished with much less trial and error.
    Please don’t say ‘dead nuts’ in an AIWB conversation. ;)

Marginally slower from most gamer start positions. Faster from the "I'm handing you my wallet, dude, chill" position.

The only reason I carry appendix, when I do are:
    1) Conceals better during more active pursuits, bending, leaning, reaching sort of things.
    2) Doesn't interfere with hip belt of backpack
    3) Easier to access if seat belted in with a suit jacket/sport coat on
    How is appendix out of the way of your hip belt? I have a hydration pack I ski with and that belt would be higher up…
    My full size Osprey is right in the way and I wear it so tight anyway it would be painful to squeeze a gun in there.
    Would love to know how though.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I used to carry IWB at about 4:00 but it started to bother my back a few years ago so I went to 1-2:00 position.. As BBIs said it's somewhat body specific and what is comfortable for one isn't for another. The AIWB setup works for me but you should also keep in mind a good belt and holster makes a world of difference and if you are used to OWB you might think about buying pants 1 size larger.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    There are a ton of threads here about AIWB. It is not for everyone for a lot of reasons. For me it has been great for the last 15 years. It is really the only way for me to carry at work without being noticed. I am 6' tall and by typical lard @ss American standards would be considered scrawny at 175 lbs. Comfort is fine, concealment is not as good as it was when I was working out heavier and had more taper.

As has been mentioned you would want to use holsters made specifically for AIWB. Even then there are trade offs between speed and concealment. My work rig is lower in the belt and a smaller gun than my rest of the time setup. I have no problems bending or squatting or any of that.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    For IWB, I prefer sliding it back on the strong side hip to where I find comfortable and using a hybrid (kydex shell with leather backer) holster, such as Galco King Tuk, or Crossbreed super or mini tuck if available for a given gun. Been carrying that way for years. Good belt, such as a Daltechforce Super Biobelt, is very helpful as well. Also, buy your belt a size bigger, and go with pants that can accomodate as well.
    This is solid info. If your jeans fit you, your IWB will be pressed into your side. One size makes a difference and leads to all day carry.

The nylon style tactical belts are pretty decent, but i still use my old school leather garrison belt(1.75 pref, but also 1.5 works). They do stretch a bit, but get broken in and carry well.

Some people say...."cop belt", but under an untucked shirt, who sees it? OWB also works with same belt, as long as slots on holster fit the belt width. I have used a fine tooth rat tail file to adjust the slots, and some leather dye to cover the work.

Don't forget the spare mag case too. The plastic ones get hooked on chair backs and snap off at the clip on. Threaded leather style on belt is good to go. Don't want to chase a spare mag bouncing on the floor at Cracker Barrel for breakfast.
    Good luck.

Lj429

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    Wheatfield
    Tried IWN for a summer and just couldn’t do it. Probably too large a human. Love going owb now with full size or compact.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Please don’t say ‘dead nuts’ in an AIWB conversation. ;)

How is appendix out of the way of your hip belt? I have a hydration pack I ski with and that belt would be higher up…
    My full size Osprey is right in the way and I wear it so tight anyway it would be painful to squeeze a gun in there.
    Would love to know how though.
    I would like to know this too. I backpack a lot and would love to be able to conceal but it seems the backpack prevents it. The only way in can imagine it would be comfortable is either a drop holster or some kind of chest rig.

Top Bottom