It's been 30 years since I built a deck-Here I go again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nice and lumber costs are down a bit now.
    Yeah, but not metal costs, lol. When I bought the framing and fasteners, the fastener cost was more than the lumber cost! Had the composite decking and railing delivered yesterday. Will be a bit before I start decking though. Yesterday, it was 124 degrees back where I am building the deck.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Yeah, but not metal costs, lol. When I bought the framing and fasteners, the fastener cost was more than the lumber cost! Had the composite decking and railing delivered yesterday. Will be a bit before I start decking though. Yesterday, it was 124 degrees back where I am building the deck.
    Where did you buy the materials from?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Where did you buy the materials from?
    Most everything from Bender Lumber. I got with a sales guy and he gave me discounted prices on the materials. The lumber is much nicer than what I can find around here at the big box stores. Number 1 grade instead of 2 and I don't have to cull 10 boards to get 1 good one. :)

I looked at buying the railing pieces online, but Bender beat their prices by quite a bit.

I'm spending a lot of money on this deck because that is just how I do things; "the best is just good enough for me." I use 6x6 posts where I could have used 4x4's, 12" OC joist spacing where I could have used 16", used joist tape when I didn't have to, 32" deep footers when 24" is code, and so on.

But I did save where I could and this deck is for the next owner of the home anyway. I won't be here long enough for the "new deck smell" to go away. :)

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Most everything from Bender Lumber. I got with a sales guy and he gave me discounted prices on the materials. The lumber is much nicer than what I can find around here at the big box stores. Number 1 grade instead of 2 and I don't have to cull 10 boards to get 1 good one. :)

I looked at buying the railing pieces online, but Bender beat their prices by quite a bit.

I'm spending a lot of money on this deck because that is just how I do things; "the best is just good enough for me." I use 6x6 posts where I could have used 4x4's, 12" OC joist spacing where I could have used 16", used joist tape when I didn't have to, 32" deep footers when 24" is code, and so on.

But I did save where I could and this deck is for the next owner of the home anyway. I won't be here long enough for the "new deck smell" to go away. :)
    Great info, thanks! I'll have to stop by there Ellettsville location one of these days.

Right now I've been replacing dock deck boards a piece at a time, but my back deck will likely need a full replacement before long.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom