• ...and so much more!
  • Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Try one (or more), you might like it?

I have shot a couple of brand new out of the box Colts and they had no issues (did not need any mods or special mags).

What I think is interesting is the number of people that have multiple 1911s (apparently you can not have just one).

Many have discussed the perils of buying a 1911, you may never have extra money again (they seem to run in heards) - consider yourself warned! ;)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I wanted one but wasn't about to have to pay $30+ per mag so the gun would actually feed. All I ever hear is that any magazine except Chip McCormick mags don't work. :dunno:
    Get away from the publications and propaganda and hear say and get a quality 1911 for yourself.
    I've been running them for 5+ decades and the only mag issue I've had has been the RIA ACT mag. Junk out of the box. Other than that I've run about every kind by every decent manufacturer and had NO issues. Even old military issue mags have served well.
    Maintenance is simple on them. I don't know where all this crapola comes from about high maintenance etc. I've only changed one recoil spring in 5 decades and that's on a Vern Trester Gold Cup National Match 70 series I had him do for me.
    I don't run junk 1911s though.
    I don't like Chinese or most imported guns. I can't depend on them like I can a quality USA 1911.
    Like anything in life you do get what you pay for. You can get a quality 1911 for less than $800 with a lot of goodies and custom work on it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I own 2. I just bought the second one and have not shot it yet. I had to polish the feed ramp on the first one. Other then that no other issues. 1911 is a powerful accurate dependable weapon. I had a 9mm CZ85 before it. I shot my friends 1911 and enjoyed it. I wasn't going to use it as a carry but after seeing how accurate I was with it I decided to carry it. Shoot one before you buy to see if the gun is for you. I would look at several before you just by what everyone else wants!

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    It's a love/hate thing, just like people are with glocks. You either love them or you hate them. If capacity ( excluding double-stack 1911's) is your thing, get something else. If you want the lightest pistol possible, get something else. If you want DA/SA or DAO then a 1911 ain't for you.

But, if you interested in owning a time-tested design that will always be a contender get a 1911. Not to mention that most i've shot are nicely accurate and easy to control.

Pros:
    Aftermarket accessory market is massive
    Huge selection of styles, finishes, sizes etc.
    Plenty of literature/videos/info on the 1911 platform
    There is a 1911 for any budget
    Fits most people's hand like a glove
    Field proven
    Slim (important for carry)

Cons:
    Many require a break-in period to run 100% (usually 300-600 rounds)
    The ones everyone drools over generally cost $1000+
    Weight can be an issue for some
    Capacity is low for such a large gun
    No DA capability

As for the hollow point issue: I've personally not experienced a 1911 that won't shoot hollow points. I know for a fact that some 1911's do have that issue. But, I believe that most of your modern 1911's will feed HP's reliably after the proper break-in.

Also, all guns require maintenance. If you want them to be 100% then you have to keep them cleaned and lubed. Naturally parts are going to wear with time and use, but that is with any gun. But, it is not something that is going to empty your wallet.

You'll always hear that one story about that one gun that blew up/ fell apart/ mal-functioned/ constantly broke/ disintegrated etc. Take all of the stories with a grain of salt. 1911's wouldn't be so popular if they were crap.

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    My 1911 - SA Loaded Black Stainless Target

Got it a couple years ago. Have 2064 rounds through it as of right now. Not a single hiccup.

As far as maintenance goes, nothing has ever broken or acted up at all. Should be noted that I haven't added any oil, cleaned, or broken this gun down to look inside in the past 1000 rounds and I don't plan on doing it until it becomes apparent that I must in order to make it operate again. To me, so far at least, this gun is maintenance free which is a huge plus.

I like the grip angle. The weight.(Used it as a hammer to drive tent stakes into the hard rocky ground on the river) The feel. The trigger.

The black finish is horrible that SA put on these models. I believe they have changed it since I bought mine.

To state the obvious, yes, I wish it held more ammunition but at the range this isn't an issue. If and when I carry this, its on a shoulder rig with 2 extra mags.

You can read and watch all you want online but I think the most important thing is coon fingering any gun you are going to potentially buy as much as you can to get a good feel for it before you drop your bones on it. And shoot it if you can.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    They simply the best firearm ever made. I personally don't know what the fuss is. I have three and do a basic cleaning after every trip to the range. Complete disassembly and clean about once a year. They shoot anything I can afford to feed them. All three have shot great out of the box. The three are a Springfield GI, Kimber Pro Carry II, and an ATI
    Enhanced. The biggest problem with them is that they are addictive.

Top Bottom