Is this just the beginning of rioting or will it subside?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nah, dude. This is a stretch. Who gets pulled over for 5 under? Racial profiling or not, why does someone get pulled over for driving 5 under the speed limit? Then the cop condescendingly gives him the 3rd degree and snipes back about the guy not wanting casual conversation when he gets agitated about getting grilled after being pulled over for 5mph under the speed limit, which is not a crime. Doesn't matter if you think it might look suspicious. He didn't get him for a taillight burned out, or my favorite "it looked like you weren't wearing your seatbelt". He pulled him over for something that was legal. Period.

Then fight it in court, not on the side of the road. That's how people get hurt (or killed) needlessly. Don't do it.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Fight what in court? Pretty sure going 5 miles per hour under the speed limit is not against the law.

This stop was ****ing BS.

Absolutely that stop was BS, and I can't imagine many here on INGO who would have handled it in as restrained a manner as that driver did. That cop should be reprimanded for creating an unnecessary and unwarranted road hazard. It's dangerous pulling over, stopping, and merging back into traffic on a highway, and shouldn't be done merely for fishing expeditions.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Fight what in court? Pretty sure going 5 miles per hour under the speed limit is not against the law.

I was speaking in general terms, not necessarily about this particular stop. I agree it was a BS stop, but I still maintain that the side of the road is not the place to argue about it. File a complaint, whatever, but getting out of your car and getting confrontational is just not a good idea, wouldn't you agree?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Nah, dude. This is a stretch. Who gets pulled over for 5 under? Racial profiling or not, why does someone get pulled over for driving 5 under the speed limit? Then the cop condescendingly gives him the 3rd degree and snipes back about the guy not wanting casual conversation when he gets agitated about getting grilled after being pulled over for 5mph under the speed limit, which is not a crime. Doesn't matter if you think it might look suspicious. He didn't get him for a taillight burned out, or my favorite "it looked like you weren't wearing your seatbelt". He pulled him over for something that was legal. Period.

It's not illegal, unless he was impeding traffic and didn't yield right of way.

If impeding traffic, you're still afforded the opportunity to yield right of way before it is an infraction.

IC 9-21-8-2
    (b) Upon all roadways, a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under the conditions then existing shall be driven:
    (1) in the right-hand lane then available for traffic;  or
    (2) as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway;

IC 9-21-5-7
    (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law. A person who is driving:
    (1) on a roadway that has not more than one (1) lane of traffic in each direction; and
    (2) at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle;
    shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.

I believe the officer thought he committed an infraction, and gave him a warning for it.

If everyone follows the same set of rules, there wouldn't be any confusion.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It's not illegal, unless he was impeding traffic and didn't yield right of way.

If impeding traffic, you're still afforded the opportunity to yield right of way before it is an infraction.

I believe the officer thought he committed an infraction, and gave him a warning for it.

Not to argue, but at the 4:35 mark the officer says the warning is for travelling under the speed limit. He says nothing about impeding or failure to yield, just that it's "suspicious". Appearances would indicate the officer is a douche.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I believe the officer was fishing, and wanted to cover that up, so he handed him a BS warning paper.

My coworker was actually pulled over for this - he was speeding in the left lane, saw the cop, hit the brakes too hard, got a warning for being a left lane cruiser. But in that case, the officer clearly articulated why the warning was being given. Not just, "Well, I wanted to make sure you're OK." and the warning came with, "Don't camp in the left lane", not, "Here's a warning. Why? Um, 'have a nice day!'."

If it's just this one incident, then fine, no big deal. If the driver's assertion is correct and this regularly happens to him...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I was speaking in general terms, not necessarily about this particular stop. I agree it was a BS stop, but I still maintain that the side of the road is not the place to argue about it. File a complaint, whatever, but getting out of your car and getting confrontational is just not a good idea, wouldn't you agree?

I agree with that. Best course of action is to stay in your car, make a YouTube video and file a complaint. :):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Like I said, that wouldn't affect this situation. Sometimes encounters with police are necessary. Cops got called for good reasons. His encounter with police was his own doing. But the guys who showed up for that call should not have been cops. And that's the part that's worth protesting, not the former.

OK, so who SHOULD show up for a call of a guy trying to pass fake bills? (a crime)The Secret Service? Paramedics? Code enforcement? HOA president?

Probably fishing for impaired driving if I had to lay money. Given almost everyone runs 5-10 ABOVE, 5 under is legit 10 under in real world terms.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    OK, so who SHOULD show up for a call of a guy trying to pass fake bills? (a crime)The Secret Service? Paramedics? Code enforcement? HOA president?

Probably fishing for impaired driving if I had to lay money. Given almost everyone runs 5-10 ABOVE, 5 under is legit 10 under in real world terms.

The United States Secret Service, one of the nation's oldest federal investigative law enforcement agencies, was founded in 1865 as a branch of the U.S. Treasury Department. It was originally created to combat the counterfeiting of U.S. currency - a serious problem at the time.

If they don't want to bother, then maybe it isn't worth investigating.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I just found out this afternoon that as of last week it was public knowledge that George Floyd's attorney in Corpus Christi, TX said that Floyd died three years ago and that his sister was present (bed side) at the time. My oh my if this isn't Wacky World then it'll do until Wacky World gets here, more fun than watching Robert Culp on America's Greatest Hero.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I just found out this afternoon that as of last week it was public knowledge that George Floyd's attorney in Corpus Christi, TX said that Floyd died three years ago and that his sister was present (bed side) at the time. My oh my if this isn't Wacky World then it'll do until Wacky World gets here, more fun than watching Robert Culp on America's Greatest Hero.

I tried to find something that backs up this claim - this was all I found:
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/politics/texas-county-george-floyd-racist-post/index.html

Obviously, the cover up runs deep.

The left has rioters and terrorist, and we have conspiracy wackos. :rolleyes:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Your tin foil hat needs a refurb.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

The law isn't graded on a curve. You are either committing a violation, or you are not.

"Fishing" must include a valid reason to stop a vehicle. Suspicious behavior, given the totality of the circumstances, is enough to warrant a stop. Simply driving 5 under the limit does not even begin to come close to that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The law isn't graded on a curve. You are either committing a violation, or you are not.

"Fishing" must include a valid reason to stop a vehicle. Suspicious behavior, given the totality of the circumstances, is enough to warrant a stop. Simply driving 5 under the limit does not even begin to come close to that.
    No kidding. As long as he is in the right lane that is his pejorative.

I know of CDL holders that always drive under the limit in their car. Their lively hood is at stake.

Top Bottom