• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So would you say the Classic Turret is good for a beginner or is there something in the same ballpark, features-wise, that isn't gonna break the bank for a new reloader?

The "classic" line of presses is the best stuff Lee makes, and it is pretty good stuff.

Their scale, powder measure, and manual wouldn't be my first choice. They will work, but you will probably upgrade them sooner rather than later. (You should buy a second manual anyway; Lyman's is my favorite, followed by Hornady.)

Their dies work as well as others, but they definitely aren't finished as nicely as RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc., and I've found them more prone to rust.

YMMV

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What I was planning on doing was building my own kit with an electronic scale suggested in one of my threads, manuals would probably be Hornady and Lyman because they seem to be two of the biggest names, and I'll probably splurge a little on dies but I don't wanna go broke.

My questions are:

1) Which would be a good quality (4) die set to go with this press? I'll probably have a single stage with a universal decapping die since I'm gonna be wet tumbling.

2) What would be a solid, inexpensive powder measure to work with this press? I kinda like the one from RCBS but then again, I know very little.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I have both the Lee classic turret press and the Lee challenger single stage. They both work great. I started with the Lee single stage challenger kit, which as others have mentioned, a single stage is a good way to start reloading and learn on. Single stage is also the only way I plan on ever reloading rifle ammo. By the way, I am finding that the cheap Lee perfect powder measure works great for the extruded rifle powders. Also, I have found no issues with Lee die sets either.

The classic turret press is a great press for the money. I use this for handgun ammo now, which is more efficient than a
    single stage for sure. I ended up buying the Lee riser and putting the new Lee auto drum powder measure on top which I have been very impressed with so far with my ball powders.

Note, the Lee kits are a great way to get started. The only thing I wasn't impressed with in the kit was lee's beam scale. I quickly upgraded to the Dillon beam scale made by ohaus.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have been working with Lee equipment for over 30 years. Is Lee the best? No. It is a working press that will last for years and works well and cost about half what some of the others cost. For a father of three cost was important and that is why I started with Lee. Now my kids are all grown and have kids of their own. I can afford better and I am still working with Lee. Why spend extra money on stuff if you don't have to.

I have the press in the kit you are looking at. I have used it for at least 20 years. I have no complaints about it. I have 44mag, 9mm and 357mag set up in different plates so I never have to change the dies. Just drop in the set you want and go to work.

Now about the kit. As I have said the press is good but the other stuff in the kit I replaced with other stuff.

I don't like the Lee powder scale. I got a RCBS 502 scale. It works great and is very accurate. It goes for about $80. That was the first up grade I made.

The Lee powder drop works well except for when you use a fine powder and then it leaks powder all over everything. I have mine set up for my 44mag and just use it for that. I use a Redding Master powder measure. I think it went for around $90. No matter what powder I use it has never leaked and is very accurate. It is the newest addition to my reloading stuff. It is about two years old.

As far as priming cases I have used the Lee primer for years. My only complaint about it is you have to handle each primer in your hand. It is the one that you put in the press to use. I also am using the RCBS bench primer when loading a lot of cases. Say 50 plus. I use the RCBS automatic priming tool. It goes for $80. You never touch the primers with it. I know a lot of people like the hand primers and that's fine. I just have never used one. They may work great. I don't know. I do know you have to have different case holders than what is used in the press.

The Lee case trimmer is a pain in the hand. You do more than 100 rounds with it and your hand will hurt. I replaced it with a Foster case trimmer. I think I paid $90 for it. It is a great system. It has a little crank that turns the cutter and it works great. My only regret about it is I didn't get it sooner. It is a great tool that is accurate as you want to make it. I have had it for over seven years and I am still using the same cutter that came with it.

Now I didn't go down and buy all the up grades at one time. Over years I changed out the parts that I didn't like in the kit I got. I also picked up other Lee presses. I have a total of 5 Lee presses. I use two of the little C presses in my travel reloading kit. They work great for doing rifle cases. They are a little slow for loading pistol cases.

I am no expert and I don't load 150 rounds a week any more. I have been doing this to save money so I could shoot more. It has worked out for me and I also shoot a couple of wild cats so I have to reload for them. I find the task relaxing. I will not do it when I am excited or don't have my head into it. I don't go for max loads. It has always been my thought that if you need more power then go for a bigger round. That is much easer on the equipment and the shooter.

I hope the information is of some help.

Last edited:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    2) What would be a solid, inexpensive powder measure to work with this press? I kinda like the one from RCBS but then again, I know very little.

Do some searching as to what is one of the most accurate powder measures, you may be very suprised.

Lee PPM rates right near the top.

Lee perfect powder measure: mind-numbingly accurate | Handguns | 24hourcampfire

Powder measure accuracy thread ...

Accuracy Test - Lee Perfect Powder Measure

For your reading enjoyment.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Just to throw this out.

I even reload a few calibers using the old Lee Loader. Available for Less than $30.00.

I know, I know, it's slow, but it's accurate, and just the nuts to take to the range and work up a load.

Man I wish I could get one for every caliber I reload for. But then what do I need another 50+ boxes sitting around at my age of 72?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have this same kit, although i pieced it together individually as i found parts on sale or using coupons. Id suggest buying this kit as is and adding a digital scale and calipers.

I LOVE the this Lee press. I run it like a single stage about half the time (when doing 300blk, 243 or 223), and i run it faster for 38 spl.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    How does the Perfect Powder Measure compare to the Auto Drum?
    They are completely different. The Lee perfect powder measure is meant for use as a stand alone powder measure and is surprisingly consistent. You have to manually throw the powder charge with the handle. It is Great for all types of powder in my experience, including extruded powders.

The Lee auto drum powder measure is meant to be screwed into a die on top of the press and uses the case pushing up in order to throw the powder charge. Seems to work just fine for me with ball powders like w231 and the like. No leakage of any kind for me thus far. Check out fortunecookie45LC's review of it on YouTube.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I would seriously start with a single stage being a first timer. You can always use it later after you upgrade to a progressive. We found our Hornadu SS as a complete kit on eBay. I think the guy inherited it from his dad. He really didnt know what he had. We had a Horn press, Horn powder throw, 45 acp Redding dies and 223 redding dies, scale, lube etc. It was $200 for the Classic Single Stage Press kit plus his Redding Dies.

We found our complete LNL setup this summer locally. It was barely used.

Point is, keep your eye out for someones used setup. Ultimate Reload on youtube is a good source for info along with others.

I have a friend that may be getting rid of a older Lyman SS setup. I don't know what all he has yet.

:ingo:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I use the Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press exclusively. Is it the best? Nope. But it does what I need. Take your time, read as much as you can. Remember that safety is first! I have found that the press, turrets, and dies are well constructed. Lee's plastic parts seem cheesy to me.

I reload .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .44-40, .30-06, and soon 9mm and .223. It's not the fastest, and I have been known to deactivate the auto-advance and just make it a single-stage press and rotate the dies/stages manually. It is a GREAT press to use while learning how to reload.

I may someday upgrade, but I'm very pleased in what I have for what I paid.

Top Bottom