• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Is there a market, for screw in chokes in central indiana? I am talking about barrels that do not have one, or are cut down for HD purposes.

If so, what is a fair price to charge for the machining of the barrel to accept screw in chokes. Would take around an hour on the lathe, and i would lap it all together to make for smooth operation.

I was thinking around 65 dollars for the install, not including the choke. would be winchoke for barrels thick enough, and truechoke for the thinner ones.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I have a smooth bore HD shotty that I would entertain the idea of having machined to accept a choke. I would like to be able to use it at a distance greater than 25 yards.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I want to get my 22" Saiga 12 cut down to 18", and threaded for rem chokes, a Saiga would be a lot more difficult to do than a 870 or 500 though.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I want to get my 22" Saiga 12 cut down to 18", and threaded for rem chokes, a Saiga would be a lot more difficult to do than a 870 or 500 though.

Definatly can still be done. I think the hardest part of that would be if one would have to ream the old choke out by hand instead of in the lathe.

just a feeler, i dont know if i am going to try to get the tooling or not, it looks like it would be around 400 dollars per guage for winchoke and truechoke (i think the winchoke is the same as the remington, just differant reaming/threading depths.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    My Saiga isn't one of the old full choke 22inchers, it is just cylinder bore with external threads on the end. I'm not sure about the compatibility of the different chokes, but I have an 870 express tactical that is threaded for rem chokes so I want to stick with that.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would not remove the barrel. The biggest dictating factor would be if i could fit it through the headstock of whatever lathe i end up buying. If that doesnt work then i could create a holding jig and use the milling machine, or drill press. but i dont see why it couldnt be done, it would just cost more because of the increased setup time.

also, using remchoke would be dictated on if your barrel is thick enough to support it. thats why they have the truchoke system for barrels that will not be strong enough to accept the other systems out there.

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 16g Winchester 37A that had the barrel cut down because it was bent. It's a good riot gun and nice for slugs but not for hunting. Been wanting to have a choke put on in it for a long time. As long as cost wasn't to high I would be interested also.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I would not remove the barrel. The biggest dictating factor would be if i could fit it through the headstock of whatever lathe i end up buying. If that doesnt work then i could create a holding jig and use the milling machine, or drill press. but i dont see why it couldnt be done, it would just cost more because of the increased setup time.

also, using remchoke would be dictated on if your barrel is thick enough to support it. thats why they have the truchoke system for barrels that will not be strong enough to accept the other systems out there.

This guy on the Saiga 12 forum had his threaded for Rem Chokes, but it would be nice to have it done without packing my gun up and sending it off.

Had my barrel threaded for Rem-Chokes - forum.Saiga-12.com

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a old bolt action Glenfield 12 GA I would love to choke down as tight as possible for the ultimate sleeper turkey shoot gun. You get set up send me a PM and I will be your first customer.

Top Bottom