• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So Thinking about spring and my Sons really enjoying target shooting. So we have a fair amount of ammo on hand, but we maintain a seperate ammo can for range use. So if I am out and about and see a box ammo that we use I usually buy a box every two weeks. So I dont really need it but have been so used to not seeing any ammo at all. So do you think the ammo situaton will be better next sping. Or is it better to just to keep buying a box every now and again when I see it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So Thinking about spring and my Sons really enjoying target shooting. So we have a fair amount of ammo on hand, but we maintain a seperate ammo can for range use. So if I am out and about and see a box ammo that we use I usually buy a box every two weeks. So I dont really need it but have been so used to not seeing any ammo at all. So do you think the ammo situaton will be better next sping. Or is it better to just to keep buying a box every now and again when I see it?

I buy when I see it regardless. There are no guarantees that we will not have another psycho do something horrible and cause more issues. We are not hoarders as we us what we have but we want to have enough to use.
    I have friends that call or PM me when they see/have ammo they know we use. Networking is the key.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Call it what you want, but it's stupid to not maintain a stock of consumable items whether it's food, fuel, or ammo.

To me it's only hoarding when it crosses the line to something that either has no intrinsic value or you have so much of that you are not likely to ever use in your lifetime or in the lifetime of the consumable which for ammo exceeds your lifetime.

I have many years' supply of ammo and reloading components and for the last YEAR I have bought almost none because of the tight supply caused by those who didn't have ammo stashed away against shortage and those who try cornering the local market so they can gouge other people. If everyone who shot maintained a 2 year supply of ammo sufficient to take care of their normal shooting needs then the last FOUR supply shortages I have lived through since I started shooting would not have happened.

Also, unlike old newspapers and magazines, ammo has value. If you would put money in the bank and under the mattress against a time of need, why wouldn't you store ammo. I could sell all the factory ammo I have right now at current non gouger pricing and make a profit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Please know we do not re-sell at a profit. When we release ammo into the market it is fairly priced. We have not sold for almost a year. We do buy when ever possible.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I buy when I find it and can afford it. When it comes to range ammo you can never have enough.

I've always done it this way. I don't buy ammo when I need it, I buy it when I come across it at a fair price, so that when I need it, I already have it.

When I want to go to the range, I just put together my bag and go. I thought pretty much everyone who shot more than on the rare occasion did it this way or was a reloader.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've always done it this way. I don't buy ammo when I need it, I buy it when I come across it at a fair price, so that when I need it, I already have it.

When I want to go to the range, I just put together my bag and go. I thought pretty much everyone who shot more than on the rare occasion did it this way or was a reloader.

You would be surprised.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

Nope. This is why you hear people say "you shouldn't by a x-caliber gun because you won't be able to find ammo at ***mart." The vast majority of gun owners I know, including ones who shoot regularly, don't keep more than 1-2 range sessions worth of ammo on hand.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    How many rounds do I have to reload before somebody calls me a hoarder? I need a number so I can get going. Oops! Maybe that makes me a powder/primer/brass hoarder. As for rim fire, I have more than I will shoot in the next 2 years but I maintained a similar amount for many years before some guy who didn't plan ahead put the hoarder label on those who did. :)

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Personally, I'm trying to get a stock of about 2k rounds for each firearm. Preferably 3-4k for the .22. I don't consider that hoarding, I consider that being prepared.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    One man's ammunition supply is someone else's evil hoarding stash

Depends on which side of the fence you're on

I personally hate the word hording. "damn horders", bla, bla, bla, wa ,wa, wa

Some people require more ammo that others, and some people just like to have more supplies on hand than others

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I think those of us that are fairly new to shooting are learning via first hand experience, the value of being prepared.

I bought my first gun in 05 IIRC, and would just buy a box of ammo when I went to the range.

In 08 we had a brief shortage and I started keeping a box or two at home for when I went to the range, then I would pick up ammo whenever I could find it and get my box or two back on my shelf. In other words, I didn't heed the warning shot.

Now, I've seen what's happened over the last couple years and I'm still not properly prepared for another shortage, but I feel I've learned my lesson and there really is no upper limit on the amount of ammo one can have on hand.

Hoarding? I wouldn't consider that label, even for the person with two lifetime's worth of ammo. If properly stored, it will retain its value as a tangible asset, and in most cases, appreciate over time.

I think with the current generation of new shooters, growing up with the ever present threat of a shortage, have learned the need to be properly stocked for whatever may happen in the future. And until people are satisfied with what they have on hand, the shortage will continue. Additionally, many that are adding to the shortage are capitalizing on the fears of others and making money off the shortage. Because of the possibility of personal gain, as well as the drive to maintain a decent stock level, the shortage has continued. I don't forseee an end until every shooter has a lifetime's worth of ammo, and in that case, I expect the value of previously owned ammo to drop and the market will see a surplus. But with the number of gun owners out there, we'll not see that day for quite some time.

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I buy when I see a deal, I plan to reload next years ammo this winter so I have been slowly buying parts, I don't resale I shoot up what I buy and reload the more I reload the more I shoot not sure i can catch up but I have a lot of fun

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I look at it like this. Who knows what the laws will be when I have kids and they grow up. I will try to find a decent price for bulk and buy every few months. Now that I have quit smoking and chewing can dedicated more to ammo. I'd rather have tens of thousands of rounds for range use and also as an investment in my kids when they grow up and leave the nest.

BlaineBug

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    NA
    In a time of distress, I do not see the point in selling guns or ammunition for cash.

You can USE the guns and ammunition to get what supplies you need in a SHTF scenario, rather than barter. And, you'll still have your guns and ammunition when you're done as well.

Never give them up even for necessities. They are tools to be used to acquire what you need in those circumstances.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    In a time of distress, I do not see the point in selling guns or ammunition for cash.

You can USE the guns and ammunition to get what supplies you need in a SHTF scenario, rather than barter. And, you'll still have your guns and ammunition when you're done as well.

Never give them up even for necessities. They are tools to be used to acquire what you need in those circumstances.

Not all times of distress are social collapse. Most are just the personal ones that happen to may of us sometime in our lives, like the loss of a job or the major unexpected expense.

Moreover, people with the attitude of "I'll just take by force whatever I need" stand a much higher likelyhood of being among the first of the vermin exterminated when they rob the wrong person. There's only so many gunfights you can survive before someone gets the drop on you. Further, you'd better hope that no rule of law of any sort is ever reestablished because when it is (and history is littered with examples) the ones who robbed and stole what they needed are often brought to account for their actions.

Top Bottom