• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Since I have limited experience with AR-style rifles and have never owned one, I've thought considerably about this. Availability of ammo, weight of ammo & weapons, availability of mags and parts, line-of-sight distances to shoot, etc. I own a couple AKs and they'll have to do for now.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I think the action on say a mini 14, or mini 30 is much less finicky and more reliable. Agreed though....AR parts are all over....kind of like Chevy SB use to be. Ha!

Dude, you're smoking crack. You HAVE to use factory ruger mags in order to make the mini function. And they will never be as accurate as an AR.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The short answer is that there is no universal right answer.

Pick a gun or guns that you can shoot well, are very reliable and easily repaired, and have reasonably common ammunition. Everything else is merely opinion, and a thread like this generates a lot of opinions.

Here's a hint though, very few people will survive extended or multiple gun battles.

Very true...simple guns are the best...keep to common calibers that are simple and over-lapping, which will help with consolidating ammo prep. Pick 1-2-3 solid, and I would say 'popular', calibers (9mm, .45, 5.56, 12 GA, etc.) and keep it simple. Personally, I prefer lever-action rifles in .30-30...simple, effective, and easy to operate.

Good clothing that will handle elements + shoes/boots that are 'combat' tough. I keep 3 sets of BDU's and Magnum boots (worn slightly to break them in) + 7-day supply of undergarments.

Primary plan is to lay-low + sit-tight and not be seen (initially) and survive by sitting-out any initial 'issues' being sorted out by others.

I was a volunteer EMT for 25 years and have a 'decent' medical set-up to handle minor medical issues.

Knives...don't forget knives...tarps are handy...duct tape is handy...ropes are handy...etc.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    An AR "only" gives you 30rnds between mag changes; relatively high rate of fire; and if accessorized with a red dot holographic sight, fast target aquisition. Important for winning a gun battle but NO substitute for being way outnumbered.

I'd rather have 20 competent friends with bolt action rifles.

IIRC the rule-of-thumb is that you need 3:1 superiority to successfully attack an enemy that doesnt have an entrenched position

Ever watched the movie Sgt. York ?????

Bolt action 5 shot, IIRC, and he took a LOT of prisoners .....

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Will 9 mm carbines be enough or do you think that a center fire semi auto rifle is needed? Just a hypothetical question. I know it would depend upon the situation, let's say an all out long term shtf scenario.

For some, it might not be ..... Since I already have one, for me, YES .....

I have around 30 years of experience, with one, so that will be my go to gun .....

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Years back I standardized most of my tools to work with NATO food. With a few exceptions...

There are two arguments, availability and lack of food for NATO tools.

Our government being one of those with the largest stockpiles of food for NATO tools I would think finding some NATO food would be easier than an odd ball tool that only liked specialty food.

My tools like 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x51 and 12 gauge food.. Exceptions are 22LR (cheap and useful) and 7.62x39 (everyone but NATO uses it..)

Any other tool is better than no tool but when there is no food it's a less useful tool..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Years back I standardized most of my tools to work with NATO food. With a few exceptions...

Our government being one of those with the largest stockpiles of food for NATO tools I would think finding some NATO food would be easier than an odd ball tool that only liked specialty food.

My tools like 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x51 and 12 gauge food.. Exceptions are 22LR (cheap and useful) and 7.62x39 (everyone but NATO uses it..)

Any other tool is better than no tool but when there is no food it's a less useful tool..

Wait . . . whaaaa??

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

Agree with the exception of the 7.62x39. Easier to feed everything in quantity rather than ration all.

Bob

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    How good you are at what?

Lots of things.

Avoiding other humans, or staying with them.

Avoiding the fight, or ending the fight.

Making food, or taking food.

Living in--and through--disaster, or dying because of it.

Rifles are probably the least of an average former-American's issues in truly bad situation.

-Nate

Top Bottom