is a 10-22 legal for hunting rabbits and squirrels?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Like others have said, you are not prohibited from hunting squirrels or rabbits with a .22 rifle, but I could see a person conducting a safety course telling folks that they perhaps shouldn't do that, given the safety issues.

In younger days, we only hunted squirrels with a .22 (and kinda looked down on those who used a shotgun, since it didn't seem sporting), and when in a group hunting rabbits, one of us often carried a .22 for sitting rabbits. I've also killed groundhogs, fox, and even muskrat with a .22. But, we were all taught the dangers of shooting anything with a .22 that wasn't on the ground, with the travel distance of the bullet.

One of the best shots I ever saw was my older brother shooting a rabbit that was running through tall grass, we could only see him at the top of each jump, over the grass, and he timed and led the rabbit perfectly and hit it right in the heart at about 20 yards. Those were the good old days. Now there are so many houses that have been built in the places we hunted and it wouldn't be safe to do things like that anymore.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I was told last week that its illegal to hunt small game with a 10-22 rifle, by a man that was told this it, at a state sponsored gun safety course. I looked on the Indiana DNR site but only found info on hunting deer with a rifle.

:rolleyes:......
    Without go'n thru whole thread......the dude's crazy'rn hell.........can hunt'em with a Howitzer, if 'at picks yer cherries for ya.......:):

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    10/22 is legal to hunt everything that has a season in Indiana except deer and migratory fowl.
    ...and turkeys

Some folks think the upland bird gun shell limit of 3 applies to bunnies (have heard it said before).
    The reg 10 shot 10/22 might seem a bit much for those of that thought ;)
    migratory birds require a plugged gun, not upland game.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I went on a hell of a rabbit hunt this year with my .22. We saw at least 40.

Nothing more fun than trying to hit a running rabbit with a .22 and a 10/22 is about the perfect weapon for the job. Add in some snow a couple beagles and many boxes of shells. You might even get one if you're lucky or good.

Top Bottom