• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a 16 gig iPod, it's a little square one I can clip in my sports bra. It was matched up to my old laptop. I killed my laptop a few months ago and had to replace it. I would like to match my iPod up to my new laptop but still keep all of the songs on it. Is this something I can do easily?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a 16 gig iPod, it's a little square one I can clip in my sports bra. It was matched up to my old laptop. I killed my laptop a few months ago and had to replace it. I would like to match my iPod up to my new laptop but still keep all of the songs on it. Is this something I can do easily?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    As long as those songs are in the iTunes library on your new computer, yes. I believe you can authorize up to 5 computers with your iTunes account. Log in and authorize your new laptop and de-authorize your old one.

Quick (yet dull) video on authorizing iTunes 11 and later.

[video=youtube_share;9hl7qtI4kOw]http://youtu.be/9hl7qtI4kOw[/video]

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I know on the iPod classics, when you plug them into iTunes, there is a box at the bottom that say "enable disc use". That allows you to pull what is on the ipod off just like a flashdrive. I would think it would work with your similar ipod if the above doesn't work.

speeddemon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    As said above If the original song destinations aren't on the new computer, it'll wipe them unless you can enable the disc use. I'm not sure if anything other than ipod classics have that option.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Speed I think that's only the case if the itunes software settings are set to automatically sync. If you load the itunes software on your new laptop and set the sync to manual, then you should be able to load your songs on the new laptop chezuki says.

By the way 65, back up your songs on a separate external drive after you get all this ironed out and do that regularly. ;)

speeddemon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Backing up is a great idea, I dj on the side, so it's nice when you have to switch computers, I copy my whole music folder and iTunes files so everything is just as it was on the new computer, playlists preferences and all

speeddemon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Speed I think that's only the case if the itunes software settings are set to automatically sync. If you load the itunes software on your new laptop and set the sync to manual, then you should be able to load your songs on the new laptop chezuki says.

By the way 65, back up your songs on a separate external drive after you get all this ironed out and do that regularly. ;)

i use iTunes ALOT even if I'm not auto synched if a file destination on a ipod or phone isn't the same as the computer destination, it will disappear.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Backing up is a great idea. I have a 1 TB external hard drive I used to do that with. Life got in the way and I quit doing back ups. Another good idea is storing passwords someplace other than just the computer. I have learned that the hard way. I am still trying to recover all of my passwords. I know better next time.

All of my purchased music is out there in clouds somewhere. I have been able to download all of my purchased from iTunes music from my iPod but that's all it will recognize. That's better than nothing so I can't complain too much.

Most of my purchased music is in the Amazon cloud because they have better sales than iTunes.

I still have all the CDs I had previously downloaded but I had hoped to not have to do download them again. The CDs are the music I like the most.

I have yet to get the option to wipe the iPod and start over. I'm actually thinking that may not be a bad thing. Of course I have Windows 8.1 and it's just not as easy to navigate as 7 was. My option box may have popped up in a random corner and I missed it.

Just out of curiosity, are non apple MP3 players this much of a pain to deal with?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll keep messing with it when I have extra time.

Bluestarbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2014
    Fishers
    depending on how old it is, it may not be supported under the newest itunes. I know I ran into that with an ipod color. Apple will get more money out of you any way they can.

Top Bottom