• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    My better half just sent my iphone4 through the washer. I immediately put it in a bowl of rice as I think I have heard that can save phones in some situations.

I have no hopes for it and my upgrade isn't until the end of December :facepalm:

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    If you are on Verizon I will have an iPhone 4 available for rent on the 29th. I'm not sure I want to sell it but ill definitely lend it for a month or two!

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I have my iPhone in a Lifeproof case and it has survived being under water many times, it won't help this time but you might look into it.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I have an old nokia I put through the wash 3 or 4 times. Always took it apart and let it air dry for a day then it worked fine. I keep it incase something happens to my present phone, I just slap in the SIM card and go.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    + million for lifeproof cases !!!

If it doesnt come thru, make an appointment to the apple store.....tell them what happened, betcha get a new phone for a deep discount if not free. Apples CS is awesome!! I dropped my 3gs last year sometime before I went to 4s, it was beyond repair, took in, 5 min later I was walking out with a new phone, no charge.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The rice should work so long as you didn't power it on to see if it was "ok" after it went through the wash. Dessicant works better though if you have some packs laying around. Don't be tempted to try it before at least 3 days though if using rice. If after 3-5 days sealed in rice or dessicant it doesn't power up, it's probably fried. I had an iPhone get soaked at an Appleseed that came back about a month after I had already gone in and upgraded to a 4 though, so you never know.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Rice might work, but not nearly as well as silica gel. Buy some dessicant packets at a hardware or office supply store and seal your phone in a ziploc bag with a handful of them.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    I think you have to cut it and suck the contamination out..er... or maybe pee on it...one of those will work I'm sure. If you go with the rice thing, make sure it is uncoiled rice!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Unless I am using it or charging it mine stays in a ziploc bag.

I know someone that spent a good deal of time on boats that got into that habit. I've seen him pull his personal phone out of a ziploc bag a few times. His work phone, he has been a bit less protective of.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Why not just run it through the dryer too? :dunno:

Seriously though, with just about everyone carrying a phone everywhere these days, getting one wet has to be a very common occurrence. You'd think that some level of waterproofing would be standard practice in manufacturing by now. :twocents:

Top Bottom