• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    It's a wolf spider. It can inflict a painful bite but not generally aggressive and it takes a lot of handling to make it do so. They are excellent nocturnal hunters and in a given night they can eat a dozen or more insects. One of the few species I take out of the house when I catch 'em.

I use to handle wolf spiders as a kid and was never bit. I don't mind spiders and will take them outside if I find one in the house. Unless, of course, it's a brown recluse or black widow. I've only seen a black widow, in person, once in my life.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I use to handle wolf spiders as a kid and was never bit. I don't mind spiders and will take them outside if I find one in the house. Unless, of course, it's a brown recluse or black widow. I've only seen a black widow, in person, once in my life.

I see black widows occasionally (couple times a year), usually when I am handling a tarp that has been folded for a few months. Last year I had one building a web right above the door of my shooting shack.

Thus far I've not see a brown recluse.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OK, so Mr. nice guy catch-and-release ran into some more annoying vermits today. These guys met their makers at the wrath of the air guns. I was quite proud of the bumble bee. I took him down staring at me in a hover at about 8 feet.

2011-05-10_19-33-19_304.jpg

2011-05-10_18-50-32_396.jpg

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I hate anything with more than 4 legs.
    That spider is beautiful. When it comes to spiders (any bug really), if they are IN my house they are DEAD. If they are outside, I leave them be, unless it's a brown recluse. I caught 2 of those last year, and let them starve to death in a jar.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The aforementioned methods are either too unreliable or require getting too close to the assailant arachnid.

I prefer chemical warfare. The chemical agent(s) in most ant & roach sprays are sufficiently toxic to spiders to dispatch them quickly enough. You have to hit them directly, though, kind like using VX.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The aforementioned methods are either too unreliable or require getting too close to the assailant arachnid.

I prefer chemical warfare. The chemical agent(s) in most ant & roach sprays are sufficiently toxic to spiders to dispatch them quickly enough. You have to hit them directly, though, kind like using VX.

Enough with the seriousness. Lets get back to me bragging about shooting a bumblebee out of the air with a handgun Mr. instructor sir.

Oh, and remind me to thank you for some quite interesting habits I discovered I have due to this ordeal.

Last edited:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I kill spiders in my house with a C02 air rifle - I don't load any ammo, I just use the gas.

The puff of air is enough to turn most spiders into a smear AND remove their cobwebs from a few feet. (it sure beats using a broom, and its much more fun).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I kill spiders in my house with a C02 air rifle - I don't load any ammo, I just use the gas.

The puff of air is enough to turn most spiders into a smear AND remove their cobwebs from a few feet. (it sure beats using a broom, and its much more fun).

Friggin' genius!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

If this was your way of creating an exploratory committee for 2012, consider yourself my candidate.

LarryM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Boonsboro, MD
    We have three cats on roving spider patrol 24/7 - anything that moves in our house is fair game. What's interesting is watching the cats working together to corral and kill any and all intruders - be they furry, or with an exoskeleton .....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thus far I've not see a brown recluse.

Seriously? Of all people I "know", you've never seen a brown recluse? And you live where you do? Catch me...I feel faint. :D Chances are good that you HAVE probably seen one, but just not identified it as such.

I just use the gas.

That's my new excuse when my wife leaves the room gagging & heaving. "But honey, I'm killing spiders with the gas!"

:laugh::laugh: :dunno::laugh::laugh:

victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    Overcome your heebies and pick it up. Show your kids that and watch em freak. But you'll, at the same time, be teaching them not to be afraid of big harry bugs.

Top Bottom