Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Intermediate Pistol

• When: Monday February 23, 2015 5:30 to 9:30 pm
    • Round Count: 400 (Should be enough)
    • Instructor: Aron Bright
    • Cost: $70 per person

Required Equipment:
    Ear and Eye protection, gun (9mm or larger), 3 magazines, holster, belt, 2 mag pouches, 100-150 rounds of ammo. Hat with a brim is encouraged
    Course description:
    This is a four hour class that is taught completely on the range. This class is about driving the gun with your vision, calling shots, snapping the eyes, reloads, malfunction reduction, draw stroke, multiple target engagement. If you have been shooting for a while but have not had any instruction this class will show you how to be fast and accurate for all practical applications. The skills taught in this class are the essentials of pistol shooting that apply for everyday carry or action shooting sports such as IDPA or USPSA.
    Gear list:
    gun, holster, magazines, mag pouches, ear and eye protection, ammo, belt.

Register and Pay: http://www.parabellumfirearms.com/index.html

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If you want to be smoother, faster and accurate this is a great place to get a good start on all of that. This is a class to help you shoot faster and more accurately. Class will be limited to 12 shooters. This class is all taught of the range with no classroom session.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    Intermediate Pistol

• When: Monday February 23, 2015 5:30 to 9:30 pm
    • Round Count: 400 (Should be enough)
    • Instructor: Aron Bright
    • Cost: $70 per person

Required Equipment:
    Ear and Eye protection, gun (9mm or larger), 3 magazines, holster, belt, 2 mag pouches, 100-150 rounds of ammo. Hat with a brim is encouraged
    Course description:
    This is a four hour class that is taught completely on the range. This class is about driving the gun with your vision, calling shots, snapping the eyes, reloads, malfunction reduction, draw stroke, multiple target engagement. If you have been shooting for a while but have not had any instruction this class will show you how to be fast and accurate for all practical applications. The skills taught in this class are the essentials of pistol shooting that apply for everyday carry or action shooting sports such as IDPA or USPSA.
    Gear list:
    gun, holster, magazines, mag pouches, ear and eye protection, ammo, belt.

Register and Pay: http://www.parabellumfirearms.com/index.html

I clicked on the link but didnt see where to register and pay

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This class is an excellent opportunity for shooters at all skill levels to improve some fundamental skills that are often missed in other curricula. Plus, Coach is a great teacher.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    don`t know what gun to bring, most of my handguns have short barrels meant for cc. What distance will we be shooting at?

So... you have a bunch of pistols to carry and you're looking for excuses not to practice with them? What if your self-defense situation requires shooting at longer than 7 yards? Are you going home to get your safe queen? Or will you wish you had worked with the carry gun at those ranges until you were proficient?

Take the pistol you carry.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Bring what you carry, or bring what you compete with. But bring a gun with at least 3-4 mags. Sometimes we get folks that bring just one mag and they don't get as much time in due to lack of equipment.

I would advise folks that own a gun to have 3-4 mags at least for every gun. Even if you don't ever take a class. You cannot have too many mags.

bloodman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    in your nightmares
    thanks coach, you sound like a good instructor, I have a S&W shield, do many go threw your class with this gun? it seems to me that past 7yrds you are looking at competition rather than self defense. I see in your videos that you and Alyssa are using a full size hand gun, my experience is that a larger gun at distance is more accurate to shoot than a small one, is this class more for competition or self defense?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    thanks coach, you sound like a good instructor, I have a S&W shield, do many go threw your class with this gun? it seems to me that past 7yrds you are looking at competition rather than self defense. I see in your videos that you and Alyssa are using a full size hand gun, my experience is that a larger gun at distance is more accurate to shoot than a small one, is this class more for competition or self defense?

The skills apply to both. Many folks will agree about the distance. I don't have an gun fight experience, and none of my students have any either, but I have listened to account and read AAR that range from 3 steps to over 50 yards. My point being that there is not a typical range for a gun fight. I have had a Vietnam Veteran take my Intermediate class in the past to hone his pistol shooting skills. This particular vet was a sniper in the Marine Corp and had 60 plus confirmed kills. He had combat experience and I asked him about the techniques that I taught in this class and if any of them ran counter to what his real life experience was. He said there was nothing that was teaching that was unsound for serious use of the pistol. His experience was combat and not every day carry, but I took that to mean it was sound instruction.

Most of our shooting is going to be a 10 yards, but if this class goes well we will be doing some shooting on the move and those drills range 7 - 15 yards.

I always use a 1911 stock pistol to demo in this class, or my carry gun which is a M&P with a four inch barrel. I am not one who thinks a smaller gun is a good carry gun.

If you have enough mags a shield will do for this class. I have had 2 or 3 folks use one in this class. So no not many.

Last edited:

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I have a S&W shield, is this class more for competition or self defense?

This class is about driving the gun with your vision, calling shots, snapping the eyes, reloads, malfunction reduction, draw stroke, multiple target engagement.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to take a class like this with a carry gun. Everything Coach is covering is something I'd want to be able to be proficient at with a carry gun. You may not have the hottest setup there but who cares, it's all about getting better with your pistol. I took two classes with Coach when I was starting off and it gave me a solid start to developing the correct fundamentals. :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I assisted Coach teaching this class for a couple of years. Pretty much everything covered is applicable to any use of a handgun where accuracy, efficiency, and speed are necessary. That would include any action shooting sport, personal defense, or combat.

If my primary application were defense, I would bring the gun I intend to use for that application if the need arises. If it's a S&W Shield, then bring it and shoot it. If it's a .38 super race gun that you keep on your nightstand (which is actually a valid choice if you can use it well), then bring it. Bring what you intend to use if the need arises.

As far as accuracy goes, in my experience they is not much significant difference inherent accuracy based on barrel length, but larger guns are almost always going to be easier shoot well and achieve whatever accuracy potential exists. Contrary to popular belief, a significant number of people routinely carry full size handguns by choice. Often the reason is that it's a more effective tool and they're willing to make any necessary compromises to carry it over a smaller weapon.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    The skills apply to both. Many folks will agree about the distance. I don't have an gun fight experience, and none of my students have any either, but I have listened to account and read AAR that range from 3 steps to over 50 yards. My point being that there is not a typical range for a gun fight. I have had a Vietnam Veteran take my Intermediate class in the past to hone his pistol shooting skills. This particular vet was a sniper in the Marine Corp and had 60 plus confirmed kills. He had combat experience and I asked him about the techniques that I taught in this class and if any of them ran counter to what his real life experience was. He said there was nothing that was teaching that was unsound for serious use of the pistol. His experience was combat and not every day carry, but I took that to mean it was sound instruction.

Most of our shooting is going to be a 10 yards, but if this class goes well we will be doing some shooting on the move and those drills range 7 - 15 yards.

I always use a 1911 stock pistol to demo in this class, or my carry gun which is a M&P with a four inch barrel. I am not one who thinks a smaller gun is a good carry gun.

If you have enough mags a shield will do for this class. I have had 2 or 3 folks use one in this class. So no not many.

I wasn't under the impression that this was a "competition based" class...? I was thinking it was more about building upon basic pistol fundamentals regardless of intent. Did I miss something there? I'm signed up either way, but I'm using carry handguns, my PPQ or my VP9 if it has its night sights on it by then. I am also NOT a good shot, so hopefully we get a mix of skills.

I was confused on the round count. I think I read 150 rounds, but then somewhere else 400...? 400 sounds like a lot more fun!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wasn't under the impression that this was a "competition based" class...? I was thinking it was more about building upon basic pistol fundamentals regardless of intent. Did I miss something there? I'm signed up either way, but I'm using carry handguns, my PPQ or my VP9 if it has its night sights on it by then. I am also NOT a good shot, so hopefully we get a mix of skills.

Coach's response was to bloodman.

Top Bottom