• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I saw a ash tree at the beginning of the year with the bark scrapped off. I build timber frames and have used a draw knife many times to scrape the bark off of trees and that is exactly what it looked like.

As the year progresses I have come to see more and more. Intrigued by what could have naturally caused such devastation to the bark I called the DNR. They explained it was the emerald ash borer. When they see an infested tree someone climbs the tree and scrapes off the bark to kill the larva. According to the DNR the tree is already dead (even if it does not know it) and is a prevention to stop the spread.

Keep an eye out in your neck of the woods too!!

1323219494.jpg
    1323219491.jpg

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are bad news, and unfortunately the future of ash trees in this state is pretty bleak. They are spreading north to south, and the northern half of the state is already getting hit hard. They've already devastated the ash populations in states north of us. I was told by a state forester that within 15 years there won't be any ash trees in the state! When logging a property they encourage all available ash trees to be harvested because they'll be dead before it's time to log the property again.
    Emerald Ash Borer in Indiana from Purdue Entomology | Purdue | Entomology | Borer | Ash | Indiana | EAB | Educators | Outreach | Ash Trees | Biology

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I knew they were in Marion county however, i did not know the method they used to combat these little sh**s. I have yet to actually see the beetle but apparently they are everywhere.

It's no joke when they say not to transport firewood

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My father-in-law cut about 50 youngish (20 years or so old) ash trees down over the last two summers due to the EAB.

There are at least two NICE neighborhoods next to ours.... every. single. tree. that lines all the roads are ash trees. Every time we'd walk through there, I'd do my best to examine the trees for signs of the EAB.

There are plenty enough ash trees in our 'hood, too. Neighbor directly across the street as 2-3 decent sized ones in her back yard. I think they're on their way out. Neighbor diagonally across the street has a big one in front and a big one in back. Gonna suck for both their houses...and everyone else on the street...when those trees come down.

Good news for our 'hood, though: I contacted the DNR rep. in charge of the EAB tracking. I emailed him a few Google maps images with outlines of a few other BIG trees that looked to me like they were infested. I also sent a larger map diagram outlining the above-mentioned neighborhoods where there are hundreds of other Ash trees. They did send someone out to inspect the two big trees I was concerned with + the neighborhoods. I was told that the inspections all came back "clean". Looks like Greenwood "proper" has caught a break so far...

-J-

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what thoes the bug do to the tree to kill it?
    Say you have one of your property infected. Then what? Should it come down? if so who pays for that?
    :dunno:

-Jedi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the EAB larva eats the inside of the bark, the layer where all the "blood" vessels for the tree are.. after a few years the tree is unable to send food out to branches..

If your trees get infected, it is your problem.. same as if you get the cold.. it is a public problem, but you get stuck with the bill for your loss..

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    This is NOT the DNR trying to save trees. It is woodpeckers trying to get at all those yummy beetle larvae. Like the DNR has the resources to go around scraping trees! And these scrapes are NOT deep enough to actually get to the larvae, which are under the bark at the cambium layer. You have to go deeper than those scrapes to affect them, and that won't stop them anyway. The borer does not affect the bark at all except to make a small D-shaped exit hole when it emerges as an adult. They do loosen the bark so it falls off easier as the tree dies, but that comes later.

There will be no escape from this pest. There is no "stopping the spread." Back when they were still just around Detroit there might have been a chance, but governments took too long to realize the consequences, and then lacked the political will to do the hard things necessary. Borers will eventually get ALL the ash trees of every species that are not receiving annual expensive systemic treatment. We have been planting replacements for several years now. Fortunately, ash makes great firewood, wet or dry. Unfortunately, the wooden bat makers will have to find another wood-of-choice.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    This is NOT the DNR trying to save trees. It is woodpeckers trying to get at all those yummy beetle larvae. Like the DNR has the resources to go around scraping trees! And these scrapes are NOT deep enough to actually get to the larvae, which are under the bark at the cambium layer. You have to go deeper than those scrapes to affect them, and that won't stop them anyway. The borer does not affect the bark at all except to make a small D-shaped exit hole when it emerges as an adult. They do loosen the bark so it falls off easier as the tree dies, but that comes later.

There will be no escape from this pest. There is no "stopping the spread." Back when they were still just around Detroit there might have been a chance, but governments took too long to realize the consequences, and then lacked the political will to do the hard things necessary. Borers will eventually get ALL the ash trees of every species that are not receiving annual expensive systemic treatment. We have been planting replacements for several years now. Fortunately, ash makes great firewood, wet or dry. Unfortunately, the wooden bat makers will have to find another wood-of-choice.

There is no way it could be from woodpeckers. there is over 80% of the bark gone on many trees. My information came directly from the DNR. if you look closely you can actually see spike marks from the climber

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i live in a new subdivision here in noblesville. when it came time for them to plant trees down our street, they lined it with ash trees. that was about 4 years ago and so far, no bugs. at least not in my tree. i imagine it's only a matter of time though.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There is no way it could be from woodpeckers. there is over 80% of the bark gone on many trees. My information came directly from the DNR. if you look closely you can actually see spike marks from the climber

You've got to be kidding. There's a team if paid IDNR staff running around the state scraping bark off all the ash trees (ineffectively, I might add)? Where's that money coming from? And none of the pictures posted show ANY borer tunnels, as they are deeper under the bark than that. Well in my park the DNR has NEVER been here, yet a number of our ash trees are scraped in exactly the same way. We can pick them out from a long way off due to that.

I still call BS and say woodpeckers.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    While the pictures do indicate the trees have been scraped with a draw blade or some other similar object, other posters have pointed out that the draw blade has not gone deep enough into the cambium layer to effectively destroy the larva, which is true.

My other problem with the picture is that those exit holes are way to big to be from Emeral Ash Bore and the EAB exit holes are "D" shaped.

I also don't believe woodpeckers did this damage at all. Yes, woodpeckers love to go after EAB, but this type of smooth scrap damage was not done by the pointed bill of a woodpecker.

I know a couple guys from the DNR personally and one of them happens to be the State Entomologist. I'll be showing him these pictures and see what he has to say.

Last edited:

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    While the pictures do indicate the trees have been scraped with a draw blade or some other similar object, other posters have pointed out that the draw blade has not gone deep enough into the cambium layer to effectively destroy the larva, which is true.

My other problem with the picture is that those exit holes are way to big to be from Emeral Ash Bore and the EAB exit holes are "D" shaped.

I also don't believe woodpeckers did this damage at all. Yes, woodpeckers love to go after EAB, but this type of smooth scrap damage was not done by the pointed bill of a woodpecker.

I know a couple guys from the DNR personally and one of them happens to be the State Entemologist. I'll be showing him these pictures and see what he has to say.

Thanks for looking into it further. I admit it seems ridiculous that someone would scrape off the bark however, the DNR seemed so sure and responded with the explanation quickly. There are so many trees that have at least 80% of the bark gone it would take more wood peckers than the forest has to offer.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Can't kill them with permithrin or malathion or somethin?
    Don't I wish. Any insecticide must be able to penetrate the bark and still be effective. Nothing fits the bill at present, leaving only systemic treatment (expensive and must be applied repeatedly). And there is concern about killing non-target species.

All you woodpecker doubters, look here:
    Woodpeckers on emerald ash borer ash trees > IPM - Crop Advisory Team Alerts - Landscape > MSU Landscape Alert newsletter
    You all owe me rep.:)
    Never underestimate the power of woodpeckers - just ask someone with unpainted wood siding on their house.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom