• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I really like my 9mm pistols, but I'm thinking about adding a .40S&W pistol that I can just switch to 9mm with a conversion barrel and new mags. I know Glocks are one option, and I'm leaning toward the M23. I would mainly shoot 9mm at the range, but probably carry it as .40. Are the frame and slide exactly the same for Glock 23 and 19? So I'd essentially have both calibers in one pistol, right? What other brands can I do similar switches? I'd consider the M&P, XD, Ruger SR9, etc. if I can do similar conversions.

So, who has a conversion barrel for any other brands and how are they for dependability, cost, etc?

Thanks!
    ---
    BG!

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I know there are conversion barrels for the M&P and the XD. Sigs also have conversion barrels available.

Storm Lake, Bar Sto, Lonewolf are some barrels to look into.

I have a threaded 40 to 9mm barrel for my glock22 made by lonewolf that I'm incredibly happy with, they run around $130.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a 9mm barrel and magazine for my XD 4". Magazine is stock XD 9mm from Springfield. Barrel is EFK Fire Dragon. It is very accurate.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I have a M&P 40c with a 9mm Lake City barrel for it as well. I like it when I'm shooting my SMG because I don't have to separate brass afterwards. I actually prefer shooting it in 40 though.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    Dont forget 357sig (only needs a barrel swap), uses the 40 mags and is a fun round to shoot with great self defense capabilities, comaprable to 357 mag. The 9mm conversion barrels usually need 9mm mags, but some people have good luck using 9mm in 40 mags. And yes, all glock 9mm, 40sw and 357 sig pistols have the same frame.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I know there are conversion barrels for the M&P and the XD. Sigs also have conversion barrels available.

Storm Lake, Bar Sto, Lonewolf are some barrels to look into.

I have a threaded 40 to 9mm barrel for my glock22 made by Lonewolf that I'm incredibly happy with, they run around $130.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I had heard of the Lonewolf conversions, but that was about it.

I did check out those manufacterers, and here is what I found. Lonewolf only listed conversion barrels for Glocks, and the standard version (normal length, not ported or threaded) ran about $110. At the Storm Lake site, they had conversion barrels for Glock, Springfield XD, and S&W M&P. I think they ran around $160. Bar Sto had conversion barrels for Glocks, Springfields, and Sigs, and they were a bit more high-end, running around $215.

There could be more out there, but that is what I found. It would be nice to find one for a Ruger SR9c....

Anyway, thanks for the assistance.
    ---
    GB!

Last edited:

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have a M&P .40c
    I just called Smith & Wesson and ordered a factory 9mm barrel for it and 2 mags with pinkie extensions. Works great.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have considered conversion, but would not for anything other than a range gun, unless I replace the extractor and other caliber specific pieces.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Here is a wild one for you. When I want to shoot 9mm from a g22 (.40) I put in my brothers S&W Sigma 9mm barrel and use Glock 9mm mags. Works great. He is using a Storm Lake (I think) Ported Match Barrel for a g19 in his sigma.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Here is a wild one for you. When I want to shoot 9mm from a g22 (.40) I put in my brothers S&W Sigma 9mm barrel and use Glock 9mm mags. Works great. He is using a Storm Lake (I think) Ported Match Barrel for a g19 in his sigma.

There IS a reason why Glock won the lawsuit with S&W. I didn't realize it was that much of a reason. Can you get a Sigma cheaper than a Lone Wolf barrel? :D

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Lawsuit

There IS a reason why Glock won the lawsuit with S&W. I didn't realize it was that much of a reason. Can you get a Sigma cheaper than a Lone Wolf barrel? :D

Yup. It has VERY subtle differences from a Glock barrel. The locking lugs have more notches that do not appear to do anything. My guess, they were an attempt not to get sued. FAILED. I saw a Sigma in Bradis for 199.00 some time ago. So probably not. My brother had the Sigma and ported barrel before the g22 came along. I am the one that had the guts to try it. Not him.

Sorry I am not familiar with any other conversion barrels for other models. So this makes another +1 for Gaston Glock.:):

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    I'm Curious as to how the OP git on and what his decision was.

I like the look of the dragon barrel, but unsure if i will have to change anything more than the mags to 9mm in the xd .40 sc.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have personally converted my S&W M&P40 to a M&P9. All it takes is a factory 9mm mag and a factory 9mm barrel. I ran that at the NWI training we had last saturday.

Expat-Trav

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    North Indiana
    Very Cool ! :D

I can see part of my Christmas shopping will be to order conversion barrel and a few magazines.

Better tell the wife not to gift wrap ammunition and keep it under the tree. ;)

Top Bottom