• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've got a small storage room in my basement, and I've decided to set up a reloading area. I even got the boss to sign off on it!
    Right now I'm looking at the layout of the bench, as this is going to be the first bench I'm putting together, I thought I would ask others about their thoughts on my possible layout. Generally speaking, people who have done this before may have tried the bench shapes I'm thinking about, and have an opinion on whether or not they work.
    Ultimately I can either do a standard rectangular, or an L shaped bench.
    Thoughts?
    13290893064_9432a98950_b.jpg

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Assuming you will have a chair of some sorts at your bench area, my vote would be for the rectangular bench. L shaped bench would make for pretty tight quarters. Not sure what the clearing barrel is but that is where my chair would reside when I was not using it in this scenario. I would probably build some shelves up high and away from the bench to store my powders and other things that I don't need or want at the work area.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I would go with the "L" shape but move the clearing barrel under the corner because it is harder to reach the back of that area. You could then extend the bench by another 24" where the clearing barrel is now. The straight sections are the most valuable because you can mount presses and swagers on the edge and belly up to them. The corner is less accessible for working space but you could stick one arm in for the occasional use of the clearing barrel

Shelves, cabinets or parts bin would be great. There are lots of little boxes involved in reloading. You might also find that you need to store large volumes of brass in various stages (dirty and unsorted, deprimed and sorted, cleaned and ready) if you reload pistol ammo.

Plan on adding plenty of light, it helps. Maybe a broom and dust pan behind the door and a trash can. Spent primers display a strange attraction to the floor.

Power strips for the scale, tumbler, casefeeder, case trimmer, etc.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    The rectangular looks the best. It gives you a better layout for mounting press(s) powder measures, case trimmers, and etc. Remember you need elbow room to cycle the press. I've had both layouts and the rectangular works best for me. Make sure you have plenty of outlets and adequate lighting. I have storage on the bench via shelving as well as storage under the bench via shelving. You will also need additional storage via a cabinet or two on the wall behind your work space if you reload long enough. My room is 10x12 and it is full with over 45 years of reloading activity. Enjoyable activity it is. Good shooting!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've been prepping to build my permanent bench here shortly myself. For input, take a good long look at this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/108994-reloading-room-pics.html

46+ pages of reloading room pics. I've stolen more than a few ideas off of it for my future set-up. Some of them are REALLY elaborate, most are pretty simple. It's all about the space, time, and resources you have at your disposal.

Personally, I like several of the L-shaped versions with kitchen cabinets built in. Places like the Habitat for Humanity Re-store can be a great place to do some shopping!

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    I agree with ctbreitwieser. For me at least, it seems that bench tops over 24 inches wide are magnets for lots of clutter. Actual reloading operations are typically done at or near the front edge of the bench. A little storage on the bench top near the back wall is sometimes useful. However, if I have shelves above the bench, and I do, a wide bench top can make it more difficult to access those shelves.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I rock an L shape bench. I'd narrow that table top if I were you. More room and you can reach across table top to get tools hanging on the wall.

Here's an older pic of my area, you can see the L shape.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all of the thoughts. Lots of info to digest. I appreciate the help.

Assuming you will have a chair of some sorts at your bench area, my vote would be for the rectangular bench. L shaped bench would make for pretty tight quarters. Not sure what the clearing barrel is but that is where my chair would reside when I was not using it in this scenario. I would probably build some shelves up high and away from the bench to store my powders and other things that I don't need or want at the work area.

I'm looking at what I can do for storage. I'm thinking the bench will be high enough that I can put some shelves underneath.

I would go with the "L" shape but move the clearing barrel under the corner because it is harder to reach the back of that area. You could then extend the bench by another 24" where the clearing barrel is now. The straight sections are the most valuable because you can mount presses and swagers on the edge and belly up to them. The corner is less accessible for working space but you could stick one arm in for the occasional use of the clearing barrel

Shelves, cabinets or parts bin would be great. There are lots of little boxes involved in reloading. You might also find that you need to store large volumes of brass in various stages (dirty and unsorted, deprimed and sorted, cleaned and ready) if you reload pistol ammo.

Plan on adding plenty of light, it helps. Maybe a broom and dust pan behind the door and a trash can. Spent primers display a strange attraction to the floor.

Power strips for the scale, tumbler, casefeeder, case trimmer, etc.

If I did the "L" shape, the clearing barrel would fit right in the corner. Light isn't going to be an issue.

The rectangular looks the best. It gives you a better layout for mounting press(s) powder measures, case trimmers, and etc. Remember you need elbow room to cycle the press. I've had both layouts and the rectangular works best for me. Make sure you have plenty of outlets and adequate lighting. I have storage on the bench via shelving as well as storage under the bench via shelving. You will also need additional storage via a cabinet or two on the wall behind your work space if you reload long enough. My room is 10x12 and it is full with over 45 years of reloading activity. Enjoyable activity it is. Good shooting!

This is exactly the type of opinion I was looking for. I could spend the time, energy, and cash to do the "L" because it looks like more space, but if it doesn't work, that won't do me any good.

I've been prepping to build my permanent bench here shortly myself. For input, take a good long look at this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/108994-reloading-room-pics.html

46+ pages of reloading room pics. I've stolen more than a few ideas off of it for my future set-up. Some of them are REALLY elaborate, most are pretty simple. It's all about the space, time, and resources you have at your disposal.

Personally, I like several of the L-shaped versions with kitchen cabinets built in. Places like the Habitat for Humanity Re-store can be a great place to do some shopping!

Thanks for the link. There's a lot of people out there who have been doing this longer than I've even been thinking about it. Hopefully I'll be able to steal...I mean incorporate, some of their good ideas.

You'd save a lot of space by making your bench narrower. Most counter tops are 20-24".

I think I'm going to end up with an automotive carpet wrapped top. I went through the reloading class and Profire, and really like their benches. Everything stayed where you put it.

I agree with ctbreitwieser. For me at least, it seems that bench tops over 24 inches wide are magnets for lots of clutter. Actual reloading operations are typically done at or near the front edge of the bench. A little storage on the bench top near the back wall is sometimes useful. However, if I have shelves above the bench, and I do, a wide bench top can make it more difficult to access those shelves.

For the shorter section of the "L" I was thinking about putting 10" deep cubby holes for storage of some items. That's kind of why I was leaning towards the 32" deep bench.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My thoughts are , when you think you have enough bench space add more.
    Other than that, I'd go with the L shaped setup.

That sounds about right to me =)

I rock an L shape bench. I'd narrow that table top if I were you. More room and you can reach across table top to get tools hanging on the wall.

Here's an older pic of my area, you can see the L shape.

That's a nice looking setup. It's beginning to look like reloading setups and firearms have a lot in common, it's all personal preference.

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    I was thinking about building a 8 X 4 bench, but it is HUGE. to huge. Seems like 6 x 3 is much more practical. 2 ft seems too short IMHO.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking about building a 8 X 4 bench, but it is HUGE. to huge. Seems like 6 x 3 is much more practical. 2 ft seems too short IMHO.

Unfortunately, that's about the only space I have unless I want to get into demo and remodel. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it, but I don't know if we'll be here long enough to justify it.
    2ft on the one outside wall will leave me a 4ft area behind it.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    My thoughts are , when you think you have enough bench space add more.
    Other than that, I'd go with the L shaped setup.

This. I have a 8' bench and added another 4' one just for the tumblers. You can never have too much bench space. You should also decide if you want to sit or stand as it can change your design a bit depending on what you choose.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Go no more than 24" wide. You also will loose a lot of usable area in a corner. A found an old miltary storage cabinet that I put in the corner to hold my components. Someday I will add another bench to permanently mount my MEC and my single stage reloader that I just removed to make way for my Dillon. Just like someday I will have me another bench for my casting and sizing tools. I got a lot of work to do, and hopefully the kids will be done with their bikes soon.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The only changes I would made to your first drawing, would be to build the 80" leg all the way to the wall at 108".
    On the 32" leg, I'd build a 6-8" deep shelves up to the ceiling.
    If you don't care for the shelf idea, then I'd make the short leg 24" also.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I had my choice between an 18" deep counter-top or 32"...I'd go with the narrower setup. Once you put a press or two on the bench, and maybe a powder measure or bench-mounted (insert tool type here), you will find that space behind those items is more or less wasted. The standard 24" counter is a good choice. To put it in perspective, both of my presses are currently mounted to a section of 2x12 about 40" off the floor. I prefer to reloading standing up and like my press to be a little higher up than a typical counter.

You actually need a lot more cabinet space than you do counter-top.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Right now it looks like I should go no more than 24" and I need to incorporate cabinet space. Thanks for the advice. it should all save me some time and money.

Top Bottom