INGO TOP-TENS(best FIGHTER aircraft of all time)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think danielson's head is going to explode if any more airplanes that start with an "A" are named.

+100000000000000000

Ok, just for referencve guys, the letter at the front of an aircraft designation mean...

A Attack
    B Bomber
    C Cargo
    D Drone
    E Electronic
    F Figher
    G Glider
    H Search and Rescue (SAR)
    I [not used]
    J Test - Temporary
    K Tanker
    L Polar
    M Multi
    -Mission
    N Test - Permanent
    O Observation
    P Patrol
    Q Drone and Target
    R Reconnaissance
    S Anti-Submarine
    T Trainer
    U Utility
    V VIP
    W Weather
    X Experimental
    Y Prototype
    Z Lighter-Than-Air

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's what I'm saying! Apparently, despite everything I've ever heard, the P-51 is not a fighter plane. Neither is the P-35, the P-36, the P-38, the P-40, the P-47... none of them.

I mean, if we have to be technically correct and all...

The P, then, meant pursuit due to the speeds of those particular aircraft. They were still fighters. The "P" designation was dropped I believe in the 50's and were absorbed into the "fighter" category. For all modern aircraft, the "P" denotes patrol, as in the P-3 Orion. So if one considers modern military aircraft, it's not a fighter, unless it has the "F" designation.... thought there maybe exceptions for multi-role machines.
    The A-10, is a modern "attack" aircraft. It's not a fighter, hence it's "designation." You won't hear of many A-10's dogfighting other aircraft. In fact, the ONLY A-10, air-t0-air kill, that I know of, was a helicopter.
    Hopefully that clears up the confusion, of posting a list and not explaining it.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The P, then, meant pursuit due to the speeds of those particular aircraft. They were still fighters. The "P" designation was dropped I believe in the 50's and were absorbed into the "fighter" category. For all modern aircraft, the "P" denotes patrol, as in the P-3 Orion. So if one considers modern military aircraft, it's not a fighter, unless it has the "F" designation.... thought there maybe exceptions for multi-role machines.
    The A-10, is a modern "attack" aircraft. It's not a fighter, hence it's "designation." You won't hear of many A-10's dogfighting other aircraft. In fact, the ONLY A-10, air-t0-air kill, that I know of, was a helicopter.
    Hopefully that clears up the confusion, of posting a list and not explaining it.

Got it. I'm just not as familiar with the history of military aviation as I could be.

My vote still goes to the P-61. It's my favorite plane of all time. A close second is the F4U Corsair (it's just a great looking plane).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, I didn't vote for one, cause I can't narrow it down.
    But I do know the power of the F-14. When I was in the Navy at Norfolk, they had put new engines on one and were breaking them in.
    Plane was literally strapped to the ground. Screens in front of the engines to prevent FOD.
    And the plane was spooled up.
    Made my teeth vibrate.
    The 'Cat' is a BIG fighter. Can't really dogfight with it's littler brothers very well. But it's job is to intercept attacks from the carrier out as far as possible. And it does it well. And the engines, I think Pratt & Whitney, but I could be wrong, lift that heavy motha straight up (ballistic).

As for fly by videos.

Speaking of Tomcats, that video left out a very important flyby

[video=youtube;vdHBsWXaHN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdHBsWXaHN8[/video]

Top Bottom