• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I need some recommendations on which headset would be best for a young passenger. Granted, my little one is not quite 2y.o., but it is a question that come up this past weekend between PhotoNinja and I.

I looked on Sporty's and Amazon, but having some real-world recommendations from those who have experience would be helpful.

Thanks

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’m tagging along for interest. My daughter just completed ground school and will be starting her lessons next month. Might be kind of cool to get her her own headset.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Budget is everything, that said those with unlimited $ can't say enough regarding most any model of Bose ANR. For those less fortunate coming from an overhead speaker and hand held mic, a set of Flightcom Denali PNR seems to somehow suffice. This would be the week to shop Oshkosh or possibly online for show specials.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I havent been in the left seat for 20 years, but in my limited experience, for a basic headset, anything works.

More important than the muffs is the headband. Once I replaced my inexpensive muffs' pad with a gel pad, it was just as good as the DCs I would borrow from time to time.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Wouldn't ear protectors work well for a passenger this young?
    Amazon product ASIN B002SW3EZ6
    Yeah, they probably would. My thought was, being in a 2-seater Cessna 150, being able to talk to him and tell him what to do and not do(not that he is going to be handling the controls, but making sure he doesn't grab the yoke, etc.).

Granted, the little guy is almost 2 years old, and more than likely won't be going up with me for another year or so. He is obsessed with airplanes. Every time he hears an airplane, he points to the sky and says "ahpane, ahpane". On Saturday we took him out to Sheridan(5I4) to see the airplane, and while we were there a 172 did a touch-and-go. We were standing by the hangars by the grass strip and when the plane went by, he got so excited and wiggly I almost dropped him.

d9Jnh55.jpg

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I too would recommend plain old hearing protection. Been a CFI for many years and it seems to work best for the really young kids. He’s so small, he will need to be in a booster to even see over the eyebrow of a 150/152 at his age. Once he’s big enough to set in the seat/see out/reach the controls then an inexpensive headset like a flightcom would be in order. My thoughts anyway.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I too would recommend plain old hearing protection. Been a CFI for many years and it seems to work best for the really young kids. He’s so small, he will need to be in a booster to even see over the eyebrow of a 150/152 at his age. Once he’s big enough to set in the seat/see out/reach the controls then an inexpensive headset like a flightcom would be in order. My thoughts anyway.
    Thanks for the input. That seems like a wise thing to do.

Of course this brings up a different question: how young is too young to take a little one up?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    More important than the muffs is the headband. Once I replaced my inexpensive muffs' pad with a gel pad, it was just as good as the DCs I would borrow from time to time.
    Agree on the headband! I always wear my AOPA hat that doesn't have the button on top, and that helps a lot.
    I bought my dad a set of DavidClark's when we were going through training, I got myself a middle-of-the-road set. I have never tried DC's.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Thanks for the input. That seems like a wise thing to do.

Of course this brings up a different question: how young is too young to take a little one up?
    He’s probably still a bit young. Honestly. But that’s your choice. I would say when they can ride in a booster seat in a car. Not in a baby carrier deal ( no kids, does it show?) and the lapbelt fits them About the waist and booster. I’ve seen a few people omit the shoulder strap. Not recommending. Just seen it done. A 150 is small to begin with and light on the controls. He won’t be able to reach the rudders But if he grabs the yoke. In his excitement. You can overpower him. Just be ready for it Good luck

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I went with the Pilot USA Child Size passive head sets. My daughter was able to get pink and my son loved the red and blue one ( I was a little worried he wouldn't like have one side a different color than the other). I have their adult set with leather muffs that feel great. They have gel, but I saw a lot of guys have gel muffs pop on their David Clarks on a deployment, I like the comfort, but don't want to get slimed.

Top Bottom