• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a Nikon D 5200 DSLR on the way and have been researching it a bit. This camera will allow me to do JPEG, RAW, and RAW + JPEG. I'm thinking I want to use RAW + JPEG. I don't currently have any photo editing software but if I ever do, I'm thinking it would be better to have the RAW file should I ever want to edit in the future.

I'll have 1 64gb card and plan on getting at least 1 more. I'll also plan on uploading the pics each day as well on my trips so memory shouldn't be an issue.

Do you guys use both?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I mostly leave mine on jpg, but for portraits and special stuff I go raw and crank the resolution. You can always convert raw to jpg later on the computer.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I was figuring it was better to have it and not need it than vice versa. Memory is so cheap any more anyways. Going to start looking at some cheaper editing software. Just started reading about tag nikon software.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I edit jpg just fine. Unless you're doing pro work I doubt you'll use RAW much at all

photoshop elements isn't too pricey and is still pretty good

Last edited:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I rarely disagree with the gentleman and scholar hoosierdoc, but must respectfully disagree on this one. IMO, the only reason to choose jpg is space, and space is cheap.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I rarely disagree with the gentleman and scholar hoosierdoc, but must respectfully disagree on this one. IMO, the only reason to choose jpg is space, and space is cheap.

The question with all media is what is the photo going to be used for? Print? Raw - anything else, jpg. Sure you can tweek RAW images more, but if you shoot them correctly initially you won't need to adjust them that much anyway.

i mainly do RAW with landscape/nature photos. Photos of the kid and dog playing in the back yard and other informal shoots get the jpg treatment.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think it depends on purpose of pic, If it's an important shot that I will edit and save or present I go Raw, if its an 8 year olds birthday party and I'm just trying to record a bunch of snots riding a pony then jpg small,

Space is cheap but large pics slow down PC and editing

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    I use the RAW+JPEG setting, but I do work mostly with the RAW files. I use Adobe Lightroom for editing and cataloging the images.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've been looking at Sandisk memory cards. Is there really that much difference between the various grades of them?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It depends on what you're using it for. For just snapping pictures here and there, no. If you plan to take 1080p video at 60fps you'll want a faster card.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^ Mostly agree, but you'll have the same issue if you're shooting images quickly, as well. I've tried slow cards and they frustrate me, so I use fast cards. I *hate* waiting on a camera and missing shots while it writes to the card.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I don't like anything slower than 160... but I'll admit that I'm impatient. Like anything else, you'll have to decide if the extra speed is worth the extra money *for you*. For me, it's worth a little extra money to avoid the frustration and missed shots. Also, if you happen to choose "snapshot"-type settings, it will be less of an issue, obviously.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Just going this YouTube video that tested several different cards on how many JPEG and RAW pics it could take in 10 seconds. The Sandisk extreme functioned the same as the extreme pro. The guy in the video recommends the extreme for the price point.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm not at home right now to double-check which cards are in my "only use when the rest are full because they pissed me off by being too slow" pocket. I've never done any structured testing, just my own experiences from my own use. I rarely use my camera like that -- as many as you can shoot in 10 seconds. The times I seem to have the most trouble are the times when I'm shooting burst, burst, wait a couple of seconds, burst, wait, burst, that kind of thing. Depends on how the test is structured vs. how you use your camera, imho, but again, my experiences are very subjective and not at all scientific.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Definitely go with RAW + JPEG, but make sure you have plenty and I mean plenty of external HD space readily available.

You won't want all of those pics bogging down your computer.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom