INGO members got me into this, Now get me out!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    To begin with, The Mrs. was "so so" about me going shooting.

Then I brought home a P94 40sw, then Momma wasn't happy!!!! :n00b:

I managed to get her to go to the range and thanks to my Uncle, got her interested in a Ruger 10/22.

She also shot his AR in .22 and in .223 However, due to a double compound fracture of her left arm in a car accident 3yrs ago and having 2 plates, she said the ar is too heavy for her to support and it hurts her arm. But she said it looked bad a$$ cool but liked and went for the Ruger 10/22 when shooting.

Well thanks to you AR Guys/girls and your pictures, you have gotten my feathers all ruffled and instead of Buying my wife a surprise gift of a Ruger 10/22 today while she is out of town and hoping she likes it and doesn't kill me, I walked out with an AR stripped lower, 6pos butt stock and a lower parts kit. By Weds, Gun shop should have the cheapo Chiappa .22 dedicated upper in. What I was thinking is that since their uppers are not solid steel etc, it would be lighter...and I can have it firing when she gets home. :ar15:

SO!!! Now that I realize what I have done and have come to my senses, What should I do?

Should I keep the AR hush, hush. And get her the Ruger 10/22 Next week, Or should I just continue the AR build, and pray she doesn't kill me, and allows me to shoot it and borrow "her" lower to fire a dedicated 40sw upper when funds become available?

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    S&W M&P 15-22

If she really liked the Ar then look at getting her a S&W M&P 15-22. You still get the cool look but they are very light and use a lot of the AR components

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I appreciate wanting to surprise her, but why not give her the choice and make her happy that way?
    • 10/22
    • S&W M&P 15-22
    • Actual custom-built AR in 22 (just emphasize this is a lot more work, to discourage actual selection)
    That way, there is no chance of second guessing your gift.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Yep Simon6101 has got the answer. Either go with the 15-22 or use the parts that you have purchased to do an AR .22 build. Heck you could even build the AR in .223 and then get a .22 conversion kit.

Edit: I read the original post again. I see that the OP has a .22 upper on the way. If the wife like the looks of the AR I say let her have it and just get another upper as funds allow.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If you want her to enjoy shooting and continue to support your habit you will get her a 10/22 which is what she gravitated toward. Pushing her to something you bought hoping she will like it is a very bad idea.

Glockshooter149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    I have the S&W MP 15-22 and it is insanely light compared to its big brothers in 5.56. It takes about 90% of the AR accessories that are on the market, but has a polymer upper and rails so it saves on weight a ton. It is the best 22 I have ever owned and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a lightweight 22

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I'm just wonderin why, if she liked the 10/22, is there any question on what you should do? U kno the answer to that question

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I'm just wonderin why, if she liked the 10/22, is there any question on what you should do? U kno the answer to that question

LPPOsecurity,
    I originally went into the Gun shop to look for a used Ruger 10/22 for the Mrs. Then I saw all the AR parts, and remember all the nice pics that the members here have posted about theirs. Then hearing my wife's voice inside my head saying
    "that one there (the ar) Looks like an awesome bad ass gun, but its too heavy for my arm, this one (ruger 10/22) is perfect! yeah it looks like a hillbilly gun, but it is lighter and doesn't hurt my arm."(pointing to her scar from her surgery)

My Uncle's AR 22 upper is almost as heavy as his .223 upper.
    My thinking was, If I got the Chiappa upper, it is polymer/non steel except for the barrel so therefore, it would be somewhat of a lighter gun. (plus I REALLY, REALLY! want an AR.) lol

Anyways so I got the lower parts etc, got home and thats when my clear thinking came into effect. thus the reason for this thread....

Top Bottom