INGO Mechanics, Help Please (GM 4.3 Vortec)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    OK, So I am looking at a used blazer Im thinking about purchasing. It is a 98 Blazer with 124K on it. I am not really familiar with these engines. What I noticed while driving it was the oil pressure. At idle it was sitting around 18-20 PSI, Then fluctuates with throttle. Under acceleration the oil pressure is about 40 PSI.

I did some googling and from what I read this seems normal. I just want to be sure. I have never had a car with an oil pressure guage and from what I read most that have them are just dummy guages anyways that just drop when there is an issue.

The truck ran and idled good and smooth, but under heavy acceleration did feel like maybe it needed plugs and wires. Nothing bad though, I wouldnt say it felt like it was missing.

Also, does anyone know of a reputable mechanic who is reasonable on price to look at a used car befire I purchase it. Preferably on the southside. The seller lives around county line and 65. Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It will change depending on how hard you are stepping on the gas or not stepping on it.
    Atleast the only vehicles I have driven with them all change. The more you step on it the higher the pressure should be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That pressure is fine for a truck with those miles. No worries as it is supposed to increase with engine speed. The Vortec engines will run over 100,000 miles before needing a tune up.
    The double platinum plugs are spendy but worth the money. This vehicle may just need the scheduled tune up. If you are buying it from the owner (Not a lot) then inquire. It could be a bargaining tool as the parts aren't cheap. It should be easy to tell if the wires and cap are original.

Luck to you on this.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I understand that the oil pump will raise with the rpms, I just wanted confirmation that this wasnt a bad or weak engine, also I was wanting to make sure that 18 at idle wasnt too low. I am reading that some sit at 10PSI at hot idle.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I had a '93 S-10 with the 4.3 L motor(my understanding, it is my beloved 350ci less 2 cylinders). I loved that truck and would buy another one just like it if they made the exact same thing today. FYI, I put right at 360k on the thing and I am not one to regularly change the oil. I always jokingly said that the chevys thrive on abuse...

I am not a mechanic.

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    No worries, I wont be buying it.

The dude is a cmplete tool. Dont get me wrong the truck is nice. It is listed at $2800, I go drive it and tell him I am gonna do my homework and get back with him. After a few google searches and my INGO bretheren answers, I tell him I want to have it checked by a mechanic and then I will buy it. He responds with, "well, I am no longer in a hurry to sell it, so thte price is now $3300, then he listed it back on craigslist for $3500. Not the way to treat people if you ask me. Not that it probably isnt worth 3300, but due to principle, he wont be hearing back from me.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Sucks you didn't get it. Good vehicles, great engines. Probably one of the most reasonable cost efficient SUVs on the road. But MPG isn't great and occasional injector or fuel pump failures suck. Distributors like to hold moisture due to screens plugging up. These are all relatively minor problems, though. 98-02 blazer would make for a good vehicle and that oil pressure is no problem. 10psi at hot idle is acceptable. I've had GMs even lower than that and that's when I get nervous. Pressure came up, good to go.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    No worries, I wont be buying it.

The dude is a cmplete tool. Dont get me wrong the truck is nice. It is listed at $2800, I go drive it and tell him I am gonna do my homework and get back with him. After a few google searches and my INGO bretheren answers, I tell him I want to have it checked by a mechanic and then I will buy it. He responds with, "well, I am no longer in a hurry to sell it, so thte price is now $3300, then he listed it back on craigslist for $3500. Not the way to treat people if you ask me. Not that it probably isnt worth 3300, but due to principle, he wont be hearing back from me.

Well that is certainly one way to do business.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Tool was getting to much interest at $2800 so he knew his price was too low, maybe? Or just a TOOL!
    I had a '90 4.3 with 85K that oil pressure bounced around at idle +/- 10 psi each way hot or cold, then steady at 40 psi plus off idle while hot.
    Replaced the sending unit (about $30) solid psi from then on. Something came apart inside it.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    my old '99 s10 had that engine and ran to 190k miles with no engine problems (i had to put on a new alternator and coolant pump) until some less than talented driver took my right of way and totaled my truck. now i have another used s10 ('02) with the 4.3 (160k) and its been running strong, the only problems have been with repairs/alterations the previous owner made. the oil pressure has dipped pretty low during idle on both trucks, but GM has started to recommend thicker oil for these aging trucks to keep the pressures up where they need to be. (original manual calls for one thing, computer databases at napa, autozone, and walmart have all been updated to reflect the change). One more thing to be leery of, the 4x4 systems on these trucks (98-05 blazers, s10s, and sonomas) can be temperamental, so if you are looking for a rock solid dependable 4x4 system, you may want to look at other trucks.

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    The 4.3 vortec is the best 6 cylinder you can get. That's normal for the oil pressure to fluxuate like that. tune-up's are easy. My wife has 224,000 on her vortec V6 :twocents:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    He now says he will take my 2800, he was drinking last night and isn't sure what his deal was.

Last edited:

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    So now he says that the original 2800 price stands, he got to drinking last night and get doesn't know what he was thinking...AKA...he didn't get any offers at 3500.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If it is the principal on not paying more, then stick with your guns and tell him to take a hike... You can find plenty of other cars in that price range.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom