• PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Congratulations
    73 de AB9CM
    I see you on POTA...whats your station look like when you activated at Brown County in February?

I have been doing POTA since June 2020...Atterbury is pretty close so I go there a bit, also Brown County, Morgan Monroe State Forest, McCormick's Creek, and Yellow Wood state forest.

POTA is tons of fun.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I see you on POTA...whats your station look like when you activated at Brown County in February?

I have been doing POTA since June 2020...Atterbury is pretty close so I go there a bit, also Brown County, Morgan Monroe State Forest, McCormick's Creek, and Yellow Wood state forest.

POTA is tons of fun.
    The Brown County activation was a club W9MID event. We had two radios ans and four operators setup in the enclosed shelter house. One radio was using a 40m EFHW and the other was a Delta loop mounted to a truck receiver hitch. It was great time.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Brown County activation was a club W9MID event. We had two radios ans and four operators setup in the enclosed shelter house. One radio was using a 40m EFHW and the other was a Delta loop mounted to a truck receiver hitch. It was great time.
    I think Mid State ARC has done a few of these this year, I have never been able to attend yet, but it sounds like a good time.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    KC9NEF (General Class) here… I just started getting back on the air after a few years hiatus. I’m usually on the W9IRA repeater when I do participate. I’m using a Kenwood TH–D72 dual band HT. The stock rubber duck ain’t cutting it so I need to find my Diamond dual band or rooftop magnetic antenna.

I checked into the Marion County ARS Net this past Wednesday for the first time in years. I used to really be into it, doing the tornado siren checks on my lunch hour once a month, SKYWARN trained storm spotter reporting, etc., etc.

@Cameramonkey That ten band SDR rig is pretty slick. Does anyone make something like that for 2 m and 70 cm? I’d like to put a mobile rig in my car and man, that thing is tiny and easy to install. I wonder if you could run something like that off of a cell phone hotspot?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    KC9NEF (General Class) here… I just started getting back on the air after a few years hiatus. I’m usually on the W9IRA repeater when I do participate. I’m using a Kenwood TH–D72 dual band HT. The stock rubber duck ain’t cutting it so I need to find my Diamond dual band or rooftop magnetic antenna.

I checked into the Marion County ARS Net this past Wednesday for the first time in years. I used to really be into it, doing the tornado siren checks on my lunch hour once a month, SKYWARN trained storm spotter reporting, etc., etc.

@Cameramonkey That ten band SDR rig is pretty slick. Does anyone make something like that for 2 m and 70 cm? I’d like to put a mobile rig in my car and man, that thing is tiny and easy to install. I wonder if you could run something like that off of a cell phone hotspot?
    I have one of these in my suv. It works well. It rests in the accessory tray in front of the shifter when in use. Works well. Day to day it lives in a plastic box under the seat in storage, and the mag mount sits in the cargo area behind the wheel well. I break it out and connect it up when I want to get on the air.

Looking to get one of these so I can mount the body under the seat and just plug the mic in when I want to use it.

And although the HF rig I just got is a SDR, it doesnt need to run off a hotspot.

EDIT: I also have one of these in the shack as a base. not thrilled 5 years on and the tuner dial is already shot. not even sure a shot of contact cleaner will help. Which is sad because it has a better screen and better UI.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Those D72’s are very desirable because of the true full duplex operation for satellite operators. Most HTs are just dual band but that was the last full duplex handheld kenwood made or possibly a yo for that matter. If you have the desire to upgrade to a different radio you will have no trouble unloading the D72 so don’t think it’s just an old and cheap HT. You’ll get your money back and then some on it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Those D72’s are very desirable because of the true full duplex operation for satellite operators. Most HTs are just dual band but that was the last full duplex handheld kenwood made or possibly a yo for that matter. If you have the desire to upgrade to a different radio you will have no trouble unloading the D72 so don’t think it’s just an old and cheap HT. You’ll get your money back and then some on it.
    Yes, I was checking the used market the other day and I was surprised to see what it’s still worth. People who work satellites really want these things. Mine is totally mint without a mark on it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm a moron. (step 1 of 12)

My property (and wife) limits me to end fed antennas. For some reason, I've been chasing non resonant antenna lengths and utilizing my tuner. Probably in hopes of utilizing the full bands.

I noticed no matter what, I could never do anything with anything but 20 or 40m. all other bands were either silent, my tuner wouldnt tune the wire, or stupid loud due to noise on the other bands. ( crap wall warts, nearby solar inverters, etc. 10m noise floor here is S5-9)

In a flash of brilliance as I was considering using my new FX-4CR QRP radio at home without the tuner, and realized that since I really can only use 20/40 at home, why use a non resonant antenna so I could use all bands? Why not just hang a 65' 40m half wave antenna (and full wave 20m) and ditch the tuner? A quick tune tonight seems to indicate I no longer need my tuner at home. :facepalm:

Speaking of, if anyone is looking for one of the FX4 radios, Im strongly considering selling mine. (wait list is about 5 months) I didnt realize that digital modes are restricted to 5w (out of 20) due to cooling issues. I dont even show up in the psk spotter maps at 5w. So Im thinking about ditching that radio and the Elecraft T1 tuner I bought to go along with it. Havent decided for sure yet. Its a neat little radio and tuner, but not sure its for me. I'll probably start carrying my 891 and either no tuner, or a smaller tuner than the heavy FC-50.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got my new mobile rig (ICOM IC-2730A) installed in my van last night. Nice out-of-the-way yet accessible location. The installation is much cleaner than the host vehicle.

The mic cable is stiff and unruly. I might look for a softer cable but so far I’m not noticing it when I drive. And there’s about 4” clearance between the bottom of the radio and my shin when seated.

One nice thing about driving a car with 332,000 miles on it is no fear of drilling holes in it!

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
      IMG_2466.jpeg
      513.1 KB · Views: 13

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    QRP guy?
    Cant find the old reliable Yaesu FT-817/818?

Yaesu to the rescue!!! The new FTx-1F.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    QRP guy?
    Cant find the old reliable Yaesu FT-817/818?

Yaesu to the rescue!!! The new FTx-1F.

I almost bought one of the “shack in a box” all bands/all modes portable radios. I thought it might be fun to do POTA with it but then reality set in. I’m not sure I would ever have time to do POTA anyway and it’s really nice having a full-featured dual watch dual bander with a proper antenna in the van all the time. I still have my Kenwood HT for when I might need it.

Top Bottom