INGO Classifieds showing on 3rd party sites?!??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Had a WTF moment when Googling the slushy machine I have for sale. I was looking for recently sold items for price comparison when I stumped upon MY VERY OWN AD linked on a 3rd part site less than an hour after posting.

Giant Slushy Machine

How does this happen? Browsing around, there are several INGO postings on that site.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My bet is that a bot made 50 posts that were considered "quality." Some days, that's a low hurdle. ;) :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Seems like a good reason for the classifieds to be hidden from guests and members who do not yet have access. This would also drastically reduce the number of runners who only join for something shiney.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Seems like a good reason for the classifieds to be hidden from guests and members who do not yet have access. This would also drastically reduce the number of runners who only join for something shiney.

Would love to see this happen. Bots are everywhere. Sometimes late at night I've seen 200+ active users consisting of 5 registered members and the rest are "guests".

I don't usually put many things up for sale but if ads are getting cloned and posted on places other than INGO then I won't post anymore at all.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Looks like the Whois information for the site is:

Domain Name: LIONSEEK.COM
    Registry Domain ID: 1730308538_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
    Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
    Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
    Update Date: 2015-04-16T15:08:31Z
    Creation Date: 2012-06-28T20:01:55Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-06-28T20:01:55Z
    Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 146
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abuse@godaddy.com
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
    Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
    Registrant Name: Tom Kazarian
    Registrant Organization: Kimba Ventures
    Registrant Street: 90 Westdale Ave
    Registrant City: Daly City
    Registrant State/Province: California
    Registrant Postal Code: 94015
    Registrant Country: United States
    Registrant Phone: +1.4157027733
    Registrant Email: contact@lionseek.com

[h=2]What is Lionseek?[/h] Lionseek is a search engine that scans popular forums for items offered up for sale by private sellers. These items are then indexed on Lionseek so that they are easily searchable for users. If interested in the item, you can go to the ad where you can contact the seller directly; once this happens you are no longer on Lionseek but on the message forum where the ad is listed. The items found on Lionseek are not offered up for sale by Lionseek nor are they sold on Lionseek.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is disturbing to see.

Any regular INGO classifieds watcher cannot help but notice the less than personal trend the classifieds section has taken in the past +/- year or so.

Problem issues noticed;
    High % of classifieds only posters
    Non-INGO Advertiser "businesses" conducted in the classifieds
    "Selling for my friend" becoming a regularity
    Not to mention the flippers...
    :rolleyes:

Overall, more and more less than friendly "Craigs List" sort of adds posted. Posted by "members" with no skin in the game, responsibility or accountability to the forum and membership. :twocents:

They are really good at making sure their adds get bumped to the top daily though. Dominating their respective Classifieds section thread AND the "New Posts" search page, for weeks and weeks on end apparently...

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    That site seems to have a select few forums it's bots have sunk their claws into. Lots of them are from here. Gotta love the TOS there as well. We're gonna infect your site with our bot, steal your ads & information plus pictures and then according to our TOS that we wrote give ourselves permission to do what we want with them, including sell, reproduce and license it. Oh, by the way, you agree to pay for any fines or fees and not hold us responsible in any way. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is disturbing to see.

Any regular INGO classifieds watcher cannot help but notice the less than personal trend the classifieds section has taken in the past +/- year or so.

Problem issues noticed;
    High % of classifieds only posters
    Non-INGO Advertiser "businesses" conducted in the classifieds
    "Selling for my friend" becoming a regularity
    Not to mention the flippers...
    :rolleyes:

Overall, more and more less than friendly "Craigs List" sort of adds posted. Posted by "members" with no skin in the game, responsibility or accountability to the forum and membership. :twocents:

They are really good at making sure their adds get bumped to the top daily though. Dominating their respective Classifieds section thread AND the "New Posts" search page, for weeks and weeks on end apparently...

This has been a topic of conversation of late.
    Looking into this.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Noticed that the bot is reporting new sales here very quickly. When things get bumped they are showing up in a few minutes at most. Bump on here says 13 minutes ago, the other site says posted 10 minutes ago.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Going to bump this, well just because it feels more and more relevant every day.

Edit:
    After rooting around on lionsneak I found some guns listed from INGO. The most recent was from 8 months ago. It appears their bot may not be active here any longer. Glad to see that. I'm sure there are many others that are though.

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    This has been a topic that has come up since I've been a member in 2009. It would be nice if somehow the classifieds could be invisible until the 50 post minimum or site supporter status.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This has been a topic that has come up since I've been a member in 2009. It would be nice if somehow the classifieds could be invisible until the 50 post minimum or site supporter status.

That's a double edged sword. A lot of established members found INGO through the classifieds. Google is an excellent recruiter.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    That's a double edged sword. A lot of established members found INGO through the classifieds. Google is an excellent recruiter.

Yes, I do agree. That's actually the reason I came here in 2009. It was a 10 post minimum then. I thought I would only be here for the classifieds then, but I've actually meet quite a few nice people and increased my knowledge. It's been a great site. I just wish others would understand INGO is more than classifieds.

Top Bottom