• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I recently bought a Sig 226 double single action and I want to lighten the double action pull. I was thinking about changing out the mainspring to 17 pounds has anyone done this had experience with any light primer hits. The double action pool is just a little bit heavy for me as it stands will smooth out overtime or is this something that I need a spring kit to accomplish. Any suggestions on lightening up that double action for

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have 20 years on SIG's. Not sure how light you want but the only suggestion I have is send it to SIG and convert it to the DAK trigger. That's about the lightest DA trigger I have seen. Of course in doing so it would have that DAK (like a DA) trigger for every shot. All the SIG's I have been issued (228) or used (220, 226) there was no need to do anything with the stock DA trigger.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I am about to upgrade my P239 to the SRT, which is supposed to shorten the pull, but probably not lighten it. I've already completely disassembled the gun, and it doesn't require a gunsmith or sending it off to the factory for this upgrade (thanks to youtube).

I'm also wondering what the lightest hammer spring should be. Factory on the P239 is 18lbs, so I ordered a 16lb to test (fromtopgunsupply). Like you, I don't want light primer strikes! I've been down that route before with other guns...

Last edited:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Practice it often but when needed, that first pull is the only heavy one. I would consider trying to alter your technique before you start changing springs and things. Take a look at this article and try the technique described in it. LINK

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    the SRT only shortens the trigger rest point. not trigger pull.

Well yea, maybe not the first pull, but the short reset would shorten the remaining shots potentially. I thought i read that it moved the trigger back some too though, and that type of wording made it sound like it would shorten the first pull. I can let you know my results next week, but It might be a little longer before I test the lighter hammer spring.

BTW, I agree with the posts above, that you really shouldn't need to worry about the first pull weight. I'm only tinkering because I enjoy working on guns (and since i'm already ordering the SRT, it was only $4 more for a hammer spring--frankly, I wouldn't have considered that spring if not for this thread).

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Update: I put the new mainspring on my p239, but I ordered both a 18lb and 16lb, and the packages weren't labeled, so I don't really know which one it is... If I get light primer strikes I'll just have to switch them I guess. I also installed the SRT, and it doesn't have any effect on the double action pull or reset, it just makes the single action reset amazingly short and sweet (1/8").

Since my Sig is ten years old, I am going to replace the firing pin spring too, and clean the firing pin channel before I consider it finished. If you've never tried to do this on a Sig, I don't recommend it LOL. I had to order a special punch just to get this stupid retaining pin out, it is really tight in there!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Update: I put the new mainspring on my p239, but I ordered both a 18lb and 16lb, and the packages weren't labeled, so I don't really know which one it is... If I get light primer strikes I'll just have to switch them I guess. I also installed the SRT, and it doesn't have any effect on the double action pull or reset, it just makes the single action reset amazingly short and sweet (1/8").

Since my Sig is ten years old, I am going to replace the firing pin spring too, and clean the firing pin channel before I consider it finished. If you've never tried to do this on a Sig, I don't recommend it LOL. I had to order a special punch just to get this stupid retaining pin out, it is really tight in there!

just a thought here, Is there a color coating on the springs? SIG recoil springs are color coated on part of them to tell the different lbs etc. If so you might call them with the color and that could be an indication.

Top Bottom