• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    A buddy of mine took me to Indiana Gun Club to shoot clays on Saturday. The last time I shot a shotgun was more than 15 years ago in boy scout camp so this was not only to reaclimiate myself to the 12 gauge but also learn the mechanics of skeet itself.

All I can say is - I had a blast! Now only did a learn a great sport, but I had a great time, and the weather was nice, albeit a tad windy. I shot 18/25 the first time we kept score, which I was pleasantly surprised about as well.

I rented a Japanese Browning O/U that was very natural to shoot with, and I didn't really like the pump we used for the second half. I think the pump was a longer, more trap-suited gun so that might have been the problem as well. I think next time we go I"m going to try a semi-auto to get an idea of what that feels like too.

Now that I'm hooked, can INGO recommend some moderately inexpensive skeet guns? Indiana Gun Club has probably 100+ shotguns to look at and I noticed a good percentage of them were in the $1,000+ range. Can I spend 400-600 and get something that is still practical for skeet that is still reliable and from a decent brand? Is it unwise to look at 20 gauge for skeet? I love the look of the side by sides, but noticed there are a ton more O/Us to pick from, is something wrong with the side by sides?

thanks in advance for your thoughts

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It is easier to regulate over and under barrels than it is side by side barrels.

20 gauge is fine for what you are doing.

There are lots of fine examples of skeet guns in the market. The Japan made browning are good performers. Look at what the club rents. If they rent it they know it will last round after round for years with minimual downtime. don't overl;ook at good deal on a used shotgun.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I've been looking as well, and as far as cheap ones go the lowest prices ones I've seen have been Stoeger Condors and Remington Spartans

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I shoot Browning and love them. If I was looking at getting into it now with a budget the Stoeger is definitely on my list. From what I've seen they make a fine gun for the price point. Don't be afraid of a used gun either. Indiana Gun Club sells plenty of used firearms and I have bought from them before with no complaints. The advantage there is you can shoot them first and see if it is a good fit. Good Luck!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have an old Stevens 311 A for sale, Its 16 guage double barrel side by side and shots great. 16's are getting a bit rare but you can still find them I will throw in 4 boxs of shells all for $250 if you are interested.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    are you set on a double barrel? i use my trusty 870 everytime i go there. if i'm going to use it in the field i might as well use it on the skeet range.

and +1 to having fun at indiana gun club. i always have a good time there no matter how many i miss.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the toughts. I LOVE the 'sha-shaunk' of the pump action, but it seems like skeet was designed with a double barrel in mind so I thought it was more of a 'right tool for the job' type thing.

That being said, it might be more wise to get an 870 or mossberg 500 simply due to the huge amount of customization options available. By swapping the barrel and stock, I could go from a 'tacticool' HD setup with an 18.5 inch barrel and pistolstock to a longer (26 in?) more traditional setup for clays, all in one platform. That multipurpose approach definitely has some appeaal to it - especially when it's tough to justify buying 'more guns' to the significant other, haha.

On the other hand, I love the tradtional style of the double barrel. I already have a good HD setup via a handgun, so it's not like I 'need' the HD capability of a shottie, but still.

Dang, these are tough decisions, aren't they?

Mike F

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've also found the Browning Citori very pleasant to shoot and can only say good things about the used one I purchased from Indiana Gun Club. I've looked for less expensive alternatives, the most reasonably priced one I've found is the Benelli Diamond sold by Dick's Sporting Goods at $800. The Condors, Baikels, Spartens, CZs don't have the same quality and feel of the Diamond and are no where near the Browining. Just my .02

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I started shooting skeet with my Rem. 1100 with its moderate choke barrel. After a season of shooting skeet with that I bought the skeet barrel for it and love it! I have just bought a Weatherby Orion O/U but as yet haven't shot a round with it. I think an O/U is the way to go if your going to use it strictly for skeet and/or bird hunting.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have a Stoeger Condor that i use out there. It is definitely a budget gun. I think i paid 300 for mine. The biggest down side to me is the auto-engaging safety. You look REAL stupid when you forget to disengage the safety. If you would like to shoot it before buying 1 i can try and make it out there one of the next few weekends.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been shooting skeet with an 1100 and a skeet barrel and it worked great. Im planning on making some test runs with my new Benelli M1 (my 3gun shotgun) just for kicks. If you want to be truly competitive, a double barrel is the way to go over a semi-auto or pump. It may not happen much, but if you have cycling problems or a jam in a big tournament shoot, itll be the last time the auto ever sees a skeet field, haha. Nothing but O/U in serious competitions. Absolutely nothing wrong with a semi for just good ole fashion fun!

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    If anyone is a wing shooter then any shotgun will work. It is not about the gun but what is comfortable and is about the shooter.
    I started shooting clays at 10 years old with a Remington 1100 12 ga and still have that gun. Started with a 30' modified barrel and now shoot in the field or range with a 28" skeet barrel.
    The only advantage to a skeet barrel is that due to the cylindircal bore is that it gurarantess you a pattern spread of X per square inch.

I have shot Dove & Quail with skeet, modified, and full choke. Wind in direction of flight will help you to decide that. Remington barrel change takes seconds.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Lots of recomendations of the 1100. I had a couple non-INGOers recommend it as a good entry level skeet gun as well. That Stoeger Condor intrigues me as well since you can't beat the price and I'm not looking to put thousands of rounds a years though it.

I"m still working on the Mrs. GoDawgs before I can run out and pick something up, but at least I have somewhere to start. Thanks all

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Sir
    For many years the Remington 1100 semi-auto was the number one choice of the skeet shooters-------several reasons--Skeet has 4 guage events--.410,28,20,and 12ga---all available in the Remington 1100...
    It was,and still is your best bet for "low budget shooting"--barrels will interchange-everything from 18"riot"barrels,to 34"trap/duck/goose barrels------Indiana Gun Club should have several 1100s under 750.00
    I shoot them---and I think they are great shotguns.

>I may have more guns than I need---but not nearly as many as I want<

Top Bottom