• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey don't try to use logic in this thread, the SMOKERS HAVE A RIGHT TO SMOKE, and your health is YOUR BUSINESS!

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED, oh wait......

You want to kill yourself, fine, do it in the privacy of your own home and kill your kids.

And authoritarians like yourself have the right to CHOOSE to NOT go into a smoking establishment.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    And authoritarians like yourself have the right to CHOOSE to NOT go into a smoking establishment.

I also have a right to walk down the street and not be exposed to stale cigar smoke from the guy blowing it at passersbys too. Though he has a right to smoke outside as well.

Where do we draw the line?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Claude's is an awesome place (141st/37). The food has gotten progressively better. It's pretty much a "locals" bar, and all of the staff are friendly. Don't know why that particular location has come up, since it's still a smoking establishment, and still holding its own.

We used to live across 37 from it. WE went all the time. Foodwas great. Then something changed and the food and service went downhill. Last time we were there the food was not great and it was overpriced. So we quit going.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Gun owners and their firearms don't infringe upon another's health....unless the owner of said firearm is feloniously in violation of the law........or the person deserves the utilization.

The presence of other people has a negative effect upon my health. People carry diseases, cause me stress, and do a variety of incredibly stupid things that put my life in danger (largely owing to their large, powerful, speedy piece of metal and plastic that they barely know how to drive) in a more immediate manner than smoking. Shall we ban people, or the activities that cause stress, or the driving of motor vehicles? No, because people wouldn't accept that.

If you have the flu, you put me and especially small children/vulnerable elderly at deadly risk. You should be held under house arrest until your sickness subsides, or else forcibly admitted to the hospital under guard.

The logic seems great until it's taken to a reasonable conclusion. Once it's YOUR life that is being inconvenienced, then people tend to step off.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I also have a right to walk down the street and not be exposed to stale cigar smoke from the guy blowing it at passersbys too. Though he has a right to smoke outside as well.

Where do we draw the line?

Private Business is what this is about to me - not some idiot on a public street. You can see the difference, no?
    AND:
    I'm not sure we do have that right. People are jerks, you know? Show me the right to be free from inconsiderate people, please.

Let's start by drawing the line at the business owner's property line.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The presence of other people has a negative effect upon my health. People carry diseases, cause me stress, and do a variety of incredibly stupid things that put my life in danger (largely owing to their large, powerful, speedy piece of metal and plastic that they barely know how to drive) in a more immediate manner than smoking. Shall we ban people, or the activities that cause stress, or the driving of motor vehicles? No, because people wouldn't accept that.

If you have the flu, you put me and especially small children/vulnerable elderly at deadly risk. You should be held under house arrest until your sickness subsides, or else forcibly admitted to the hospital under guard.

The logic seems great until it's taken to a reasonable conclusion. Once it's YOUR life that is being inconvenienced, then people tend to step off.

I'm afraid that I'm not understanding with what you specifically disagree with me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Never have smoked,never will,but I find it unbelievable that there are people on this forum so simple-minded to defend the intrusion of Government into private business to this degree......

I don't smoke, but in a FREE society the owner of private property is the one who sets smoking policy on THEIR property, just like I set it on MINE.
    If I don't like somebody else's smoking policy on THEIR property, I'm free to leave or not go there.

These "simple minded" people you speak of will be up in arms when it's THEIR ox being gored at some point in the future.

How could any common sense person think it would end with just a smoking ban?

You've already got people using this precedent to tell us what we can eat and drink and how much, and pass laws to do it.

This is just the beginning...
    God knows where it'll end.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Hey don't try to use logic in this thread, the SMOKERS HAVE A RIGHT TO SMOKE, and your health is YOUR BUSINESS!

You want to kill yourself, fine, do it in the privacy of your own home and kill your kids.

This is the funniest part.... If you could rely on smokers to not hot box with their 3month old in the car, then smokers would have a better case. There is a reason why cigarettes keep getting regulated... smokers don't see to have enough common sense/courtesy to get away from people when they smoke and apparently its not ok to cook meth once in front of your children, but forcing them to breath in second hand smoke for 18years is just dandy.

Why do you think they have rules on "No smoking in this elevator", "No smoking on this airplane", "no smoking in this church"

I don't mind you smokers that much tho... you guys pay for an item that is 90% tax daily which means the .gov gets their money from you guys and has less motivation to take it out of my paycheck at a higher rate then they do now.

Keep smoking... all you are doing is voluntarily giving the government more money to grow ;)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is the funniest part.... If you could rely on smokers to not hot box with their 3month old in the car, then smokers would have a better case. There is a reason why cigarettes keep getting regulated... smokers don't see to have enough common sense/courtesy to get away from people when they smoke and apparently its not ok to cook meth once in front of your children, but forcing them to breath in second hand smoke for 18years is just dandy.

Why do you think they have rules on "No smoking in this elevator", "No smoking on this airplane", "no smoking in this church"

I don't mind you smokers that much tho... you guys pay for an item that is 90% tax daily which means the .gov gets their money from you guys and has less motivation to take it out of my paycheck at a higher rate then they do now.

Keep smoking... all you are doing is voluntarily giving the government more money to grow ;)

I don't smoke. THIS SMOKING PROHIBITION in PRIVATE business is NOT about smoking. This ban on smoking is not about smoking.

This talk about cigarrette smoking is not about the effects of smoking.

How daft can a person be to not see this for what it is?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Repped!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

So why can't I do that in my own bar, or my own restaurant? Nobody's FORCING you to go there, right? You don't like the atmosphere, go somewhere else. Vote with your wallet.

Quit trying to force other people to conform to YOUR ideals ON THEIR PROPERTY. If everybody would do that, the world would be a far, far better place.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Private Business is what this is about to me - not some idiot on a public street. You can see the difference, no?
    AND:
    I'm not sure we do have that right. People are jerks, you know? Show me the right to be free from inconsiderate people, please.

Let's start by drawing the line at the business owner's property line.

Property rights also include the ability to control what harmful substances that are introduced into my body.......a body which also my property.

While I may not have the right to not be offended, or the right to be free of inconsiderate people....I still have a right to not be introduced to harmful substances entering my body. Its almost akin to telling someone that they don't have a right to not be shot, simply because they are in proximity of a shooting range.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Before the city council jammed it down the throats of business owners, many were already voluntarily choosing to go smoke free!

Moe's, Iria's, Radio Radio, and countless others have been smoke free for years (3+ years at least).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    How daft can a person be to not see this for what it is?

Don't work under the assumption that I care... I don't. Nor did I say that the government should regulate private business... actually quite the opposite if you read my previous post.

Let me slow it down a little so the un-daft can understand what I am saying... Please SMOKE. The more you smoke... the better my roads look.

YOU WANT BIG GOVERNMENT?... continue to fund it with your addictions. Just don't cry when they start to regulate your ass.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm afraid that I'm not understanding with what you specifically disagree with me.

I disagree with the response to this quote:

Originally Posted by littletommy
    Some people hate the fact that others own guns.

your response:

Gun owners and their firearms don't infringe upon another's health....unless the owner of said firearm is feloniously in violation of the law........or the person deserves the utilization.

Your point being that the argument is more valid (though still possibly invalid) in the case of smoking vs gun rights because a firearm is not actively harming a person, while smoking is. I was pointing out that by that logic one could easily ban darn near anything a person does that has strong potential to cause harm, and in doing so hoped to point out that that line of logic is moot.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom